Ann

May 27, 2012
SCORE
World-Class
AnnAnn
Notes: Ann is the wine barrel-aged version of Anna, our grandfather's sister, as well as the name of our honey farmstead ale. In her honor, we fill French oak wine barrels with Anna and allow the beer to mature in the presence of our resident microflora. After extended aging for as long as it requires to reach its apex, a beautifully complex beer emerges; Anna becomes Ann. Only the finest expressions of barrel-aged Anna become Ann; our version of Grand Cru, this beer represents the finest barrel results at their peak representation. Each 750ml bottle is naturally carbonated and hand-dipped in beeswax, Ann exhibits and showcases the microflora of her landscape.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.99 by heerboth from Pennsylvania

Rated: 4.89 by Burg from New Hampshire

May 05, 2021
Reviewed by dboon from Florida

4.02/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Bottle generously shared by Seth. Cloudy yellow pour with a white head. The nose is somewhat bland with barrel highlights. Real smooth with good carbonation. Light citrus and orange notes with floral/herbal and woody undercurrents. To be honest, after all the hype, I was expecting a whole lot more.....
Apr 30, 2021

Rated: 4.92 by vfgccp from New York

Nov 02, 2019
Reviewed by Sabtos from Ohio

4.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
My long time white whale, we meet at last...

As we slowly worked through a collection of Hill bottles this evening, we started with shelf bottles and transitioned into sacrificing a few wine barrel aged versions. The progression is beautifully subtle, while the difference in appearance between them is pretty stark. Ann has much less visible carbonation than Anna, with only a short bubbly collar on top of a shimmering clear burnt amber body. This has closer to a honey appearance, whereas Anna is a hazier, paler yellow, with a larger, fluffier white head.

The aging process has cleaned her up quite a bit more than I was expecting, delivering a delicate experience that is less funky, yet more woody. White grape, riesling wine, and even notes of buttery chardonney develop as it finishes just barely dry, falling off the palate quickly. There's a hint of green olive, and it's only mildly sour, with essentially no funkiness at all. This is possibly the most wine-like experience I've gotten out of a beer. So much so we were contemplating opening a bottle of white wine to compare. It even sweetens up over time.

Ann is absurdly refined and complex, yet exceedingly simple. It does not have the body of the other wonderful Farmstead beers, and while I love it, I think in the long run that slaying a whale such as this puts into perspective just how fantastic the base beer is, as well as all the other HF shelfies, which are just so supple, easy to enjoy, and complex in their own right.

Bottled 2015, released 2019. Thanks Stanley!

---

Arriving on this fine autumn afternoon on Wednesday October 12th, 2022 after a leisurely hike at Long Pond behind Hill's property (the one you see in the aerial snaps), I wouldn't have dared to presume that the likes of Ann 2015 would be pouring from beautifully basket-nestled, honey-waxed bottles. I may have exhausted the remainder of good my luck for many years to come with this one.

Pouring a finely hazy pale amber with a bubbly head dying to a thin ring, this vintage is unexpectedly oaky, particularly compared to my memory of 2019 Ann. It's got toasty, almost hickory qualities within the wood veins, while the acidity is very mild, like kumquat. The finish is bone dry, exhaling the same mild bleu funk found in the nose. When my partner mentions notions of pizza crust (and no, we haven't eaten yet today), I take that under consideration upon subsequent sips and actually detect characteristics of oregano and sundried tomato.

While an unbelievable fortuitous experience, and a beautiful beer in its own right, this was not quite the stellar experience I was expecting. At the same time, I'd rate it right around the same as I did in 2019, so I'm not adjusting my score here. That said, I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wish I had gotten a whack at Art this week. It's especially bittersweet to know that the next week's patrons actually did!
Oct 07, 2019

Rated: 4.44 by Biggiekrock627 from Maryland

Nov 17, 2018
Reviewed by Zach_Attack from Massachusetts

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
Awesome to finally try this; great wine, light funk, touch of honey up front; Anna’s funk and honey comes through nicely, with nice sweetness, grains of paradise, mild mild tartness in back; the honey pops as it warms, super flavorful, floral finish. Wow.
Sep 26, 2018