Society & Solitude #4 | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Our experimental Double IPA experience continues. Hybrid Imperial IPA... Think Double Citra Meets Double Galaxy.

Added by jlindros on 07-08-2012

Reviews: 135 | Ratings: 1,025

I made the pilgrimage to the Hill Farmstead Brewery in early August and picked up a 2 liter growler of this particularly fruity Imperial IPA brewed with Citra and Galaxy hops. Why 2 liters? Let's just say I couldn't resist. Beer was poured from the growler into my St. Bernardus chalice. Review is from notes.

Appearance (5/5): A medium strength pour from the growler produces a luxuriant 2 finger, white head of foam that sits atop a body of opaque, peach orange colored beer. A significant amount of sticky lacing lines the sides of the glass. This is one of the most picturesque IPAs I have seen: it has the signature HF peach orange hue and opaqueness due to its being unfiltered and demonstrates ample head and lacing. Everything you want to see in a beer, nothing less.

Smell (5/5): Notes of pineapple, tropical fruit, some pine. There is a distinct earthiness to the S & S #4's aroma that I really like. There are faint hints of malt that push back, albeit gently and, ultimately, ineffectually against the tidal wave of fruity hop aromas.

Taste (5/5): The first thing anyone notices about this IPA is the absurd level of fruitiness going on: mango, pineapple, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, and cantaloupe. A little piney flavor is worked in there as well. The bitterness is medium-ish, to put it technically; hop astringence is less prevalent than hop sweetness and fruitiness. S & S's bitterness grows as you consume and the hop oils saturate the tongue, however. A nice biscuity malt provides a nice bit of token resistance. Minimal alcohol presence in the back does not distract at all from the wonderful hop flavor experience. Legit perfection here.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Society and Solitude #4 has a medium body and good medium-light carbonation. This is a very smooth beer. Unlike many IPA's, this one doesn't have much prickliness to it. It is highly drinkable and never feels thick or cloying because of body, poor carbonation problems, or resinous-ness.

Overall (5/5): Hill Farmstead Society and Solitude #4 is, simply put, incredible beer and is one of my favorite Imperial IPAs. It is a beautiful, exceptionally fruity, mildly bitter, and immensely drinkable beer that begs to be had fresh. Whenever you see it on tap or at the brewery in Greensboro Bend, VT, make sure to snag some. I hope all you hop-lovers enjoy it as much as I did.

I do not say this lightly... but this beer is perfect. It is absolutely perfect. I am not usually a fan of hoppy beers or IPAs in general.

This beer pours a beautiful hazy golden. The smell is of rich tropical fruits, with a hint of pine.

The taste? Unreal. Beautiful hints of tropical fruit with just a touch of pine, a touch of sweetness, and perfect carbonation. The bitterness is there, but it is very low.... much lower than I am used to for this style, and that is perfect.

I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. This is one brewery that actually lives up to the hype.

Look: Straw yellow with hints of amber; totally cloudy, completely opaque. Pours with a thick, 2 finger, white cloud-like head that dies down very slowly leaving a thick, uneven layer of foam on the surface of the beer and large amounts of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Perfect!

Smell: Fresh cut grass, loads of citrus (think grapefruit), slight aroma of pine, acidic finish. Smells delicious and inviting.

Taste: Slight grassy-start, followed by a bold, citrus middle (grapefruit), with a mildly tart lemony citrus finish. No dry-bitter taste at all. Awesome!

Feel: Heavier-side of medium body. Rich, velvety feel to start; then a mild fizzy sensation from the carbonation, ending with slight pucker at the end. Refreshing - almost zero dryness at the finish.

Overall: I believe this is the best DIPA that I have ever had. Love it! I could drink this one over and over!

The beer comes in an opaque gorgeously sunset golden orange.

The aroma jumps out of apricot, nectarine, mango, passionfruit, tangerine, dried tropical fruit, some dank quality.

The flavor follows with tropical fruit gum, dried mango, dried stone fruit, candied tangerine, a white bready malt in the middle, lingering fruit along with a soft herbaceous bitterness, along with a dank aftertaste.

A true masterpiece of a DIPA. I could never get tired of this.

Fuck. This beer in my glass in Portland. HOW? Flip top 750 opens with a hiss, nice frothy head, beautiful color, the perfect, I mean perfect haze, the orange, the amber, the lemon rind. Aroma is amazing citrus, some pine, some melon some stone fruit. The flavor, soft up front, ripe citrus, grapefruit, melon. Crisp and clean mouthfeel with just that bit of pucker holding on to remind you that this is incredible. One of the best things I have ever tasted.

If double citra was pretty much the perfect ipa, then this is with the addition of the galaxy hops. I wish the growler never ran out of this beer. Im hooked on these HF pale ales!!

Ok double galaxy meets double citra here we go.

A- murky ultra HF yellow an excellent off white head of foam. Spider-Man like lacing reaches to the side as the brew completely glows in the glass. The most vibrant look you can ever expect. The body screams DIPA

S- there it is.... Papaya, mango, citrus, pineapple, tropical oasis in a glass! Citra and galaxy accompanied by a prickly pine scent that is combined to create something you can only find from HF. This is what is meant by the terminology tropical bouquet. The scent is viral as it bursts into your nostrils and literally clings there. It's perfect... A utopia of DIPA's if you will

T- a cascade of smooth pineapple and mango glides over the tongue while some fresh waves of grass and mild earthiness dust along. So clean and full of a citric hop bouquet. Waves of prickly pineapples coate, sting, and consume the entire mouth. This is the real deal. Massively clean and constructed to dominate with a shade of bitterness

M- HF creaminess and carbonated flavor blasts the palate. Absolutely wicked.

O- I never thought I could have a beer that topped Double Galaxy. Well... Society and Solitude 4 just tied it! This tropical apocalypse just manifested itself as the best beer I have ever had (tied with DG). Unbelievably clean and full of the best hop profile one can ask for. Shaun Hill is the best brewer in the history of mankind. I'm serious

I've heard a lot about Hill Farmstead and the beers that I've had from Hill Farmstead prior to this have been great to oh my god fantastic. I was in Vermont for the weekend and I have Everett, Edward, and Walden. While I though all were good, only Everett was amazing to me. Now, I barely got three growlers of HFS at the brewery because I overlooked the fact that they were cash only. Anyway, I got three smaller growlers and I'll review Susan and Abner when I have then.

I'm not going to do a full ASTMO review, but this beer was incredible. While a lot of IPAs get that citrus grapefruit-y flavor, #4 gets more of oranges. It's sweeter and tangier. It's got a little more of that creamy IPA goodness you'd get from an IPA that has more of that banana/guava goodness. Overall, Society and Solitude #4 will leave you wanting more because it is so damn good.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but this makes me feel grateful to be home and enjoy such a great beer.

Upon revisiting this beer, it's as good as I remember. It's like orange soda without so much sweetness. It's a brilliant feat in the DIPA game. The aromatics, the taste, the feel, it's just so perfect. Considering the two influences, Double Galaxy and Double Citra, are so good. It should be no surprise. This is my favorite DIPA.

SS#4 750ml poured into a HF stem

A- Bright golden cloudy hue with a pillowy soft head, looks incredibly inviting

S- Great, mango, passionfruit, papaya, some bitter grapefruit,

T- Initially soft burst of citrus bitter akin to more of a tangerine/orange rind that turns into waves of passionfruit, mango and then kicks in with a more defined grapefruit like bitterness, amazing how many different flavors you get in this...no alcohol and some light cracker malt keeps the bitterness from being overwhelming

M- perfect, not too dry, still a touch of body to carry all the hop flavor

O- One of my favorite beers, dangerously drinkable, even more so than Heady; may be my favorite HF IPA

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a growler filled at the brewery.

Pours a murky golden straw color with a generous white head. Leaves lots of clingy, soapy lacing. Excellent retention.

The aroma is mindblowing. I get loads of citrus up front; orange and grapefruit, a touch of tangerine, followed by some tropical fruit notes. There's a subtle pine needle aroma that sticks out just enough to let you know it's there. The pale malt is sweet and doughy, and subtly present.

The taste follows the nose perfectly. Sweet orange citrus, bittersweet grapefruit, tangerine, some mango and peaches, all balanced out by a bitter pine flavor that is gone as quickly as it hits your palate. Bright and juicy. Just amazing.

The feel, as with most HF IPA's, is soft, creamy, and smoother than Billy Dee Williams. Medium-light carbonation. The finish is not too dry and has just a faint lingering bitterness.

Overall, Hill Farmstead has now brewed my two favorite beers. Double Citra, and this masterpiece. It's pretty much the perfect DIPA, in my humble opinion. It's juicy and fruity, but has enough pine and malt to balance out the sweetness and add depth to an already delicious beer. I don't give out perfect 5's, but this is as close as it gets.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Wow! Just wow! My favorite Hill Farmstead beer. Possibly my favorite beer of all time. Although, at the time of writing this, I've still yet to have any of the Treehouse IPA's.

Pours a very hazy light golden orange color. Almost looks like sludgy orange juice with a nice fluffy off white head. Smells like oranges and tangerines. Very explosive aroma. Tastes like orange and citrus juice. Also has a candy like or maybe a creamsicle flavor. Crazy good. Almost no bitterness to be found. Mouthfeel is soft and creamy. The other HF IPA's and IIPA's I've had seem restrained. This one is not. The hoppiness is unapologetic. What an awesome brew! Wish I could drink it all the time.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Had a glass at the Dive Bar in Worcester. Double citre + double galaxy = amazing. Amazing citrus nose and taste with a creamy finish. Excellent balance while providing an amazing hop bite. One of my favorite beers ever....

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Absolutely awesome beer.
Poured from a growler, it has a cloudy appearance and an inch head.

Aroma is spectacular citrus and herbal tropical fruit sweetness.

Taste is hop sticky resiny. Herbal fruity notes come through.

Great beer.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Drank on tap at The Well in Brooklyn , NY

I had this beer right after having Abner. It made we want to move to Vermont to have Hill Farmstead every day.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

L- excellent golden color, almost as if it glows. Very hazy, completely opaque. Two finger fluffy white head.

S- tropical notes, mango, lemon zest, orange, and grassy notes. Smell isn't so powerful, but very present.

T- perfectly balanced with just the right hop flavor. A truly excellent beer. I get more tropical notes, grapefruit, pineapple, pine.

F- creamy, if not pillowy. Mild carbonation, just enough to make my taste buds dance.

O- I can't say enough positive about it. The flavor is just impeccably and precisely on point. It's delicate yet aggressive and definitely sets a high bar.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Growler procured from the source from a good friend.

This one pours a hazy, murky and turbid looking mess, bright and sunshiny and so inviting. There's a one inch head, and lots of lacing.

Smells so inviting, just a fruity bomb of a beer, mango, grapefruit, pineapple, orange, and melon. I can pick out each hop pretty well in the aroma, which is cool.

This has gotta be up there with the juiciest beers ever. There's just so much here- it's like sucking the hops straight off the branch. There's tons of fruit, as described the atoroma- they're all there- with orange and pineapple being the leaders in dominance. There's a hint of catty and piney bitterness at the end, with some slight earthy flavors too. This is just near perfect.

This has a really creamy mouthfeel, with a super juicy finish, mostly juicy but slightly dry with a little bitterness. It's an drinkable it's just stupid.

Unbelievable. One of the pinnacles of American hop mastery, in my humble opinion. In my top 5 IPAs of all time. Within Hill Farmstead, only 2nd to Abner. I am in awe.

Drank on tap at Armsby Abbey, Worcester, MA
Served in a snifter

Outstanding appearance. The cloudy, yellow ochre liquid was topped by a one-finger finger tall, frothy, bright white head. Drippy sheets of lacing trickled along the glass. The head dropped to a thick, bubbly, lasting ring.

The aroma was phenomenal. Uber hoppy and fruity with loads of tropical fruit notes. Passionfruit dominated. Peach and apricot also came through strong. There was an intensely dank, marijuana-like quality as well. Semi sweet. Juicy tangerine notes were apparent. Touch of citrusy tartness.

The flavor profile was similar to the nose and just as stellar. Peach and mango notes hit hard right off the bat. Incredibly fruity and tropical. Passionfruit again came through super strong. Good dose of mango. Really juicy. Tangerine was detectible. There was a slight lemony tartness on the back end. The beer finished with just a touch of grapefruit rind-like bitterness.

The mouthfeel was pillowy soft and fluffy. Creamy and slick on the palate. For the style, a bit lighter bodied than expected yet so smooth.

Just when I thought I had tried the best that Hill Farmstead has to offer, another beer comes along that makes me rethink just how amazing their beer really is. Society & Solitude #4 is possibly the most tropical fruit-forward double IPA I have ever encountered. This beer definitely ranks up there as one of my all-time favorites.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from growler taken from brewery in less than 18 hour period poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

A slight dull lemony yellow body, but some nice faint green hues here also ever so slight. Opaque. Easily one to two finger rich creamy white and merringue head, thick clumps of lacing, big retention, lots of staying power. Wonderful looking brew.

What a great nose on this. Citrus and tropical hob bomb, without the mushy sweetness. Smells like fresh tropical fruit from the island. Mango, faint peach, incredibly fleshy, with warm earthy hop tones, and even a grain fresh ripping malt sense. Unreal.

Taste brings pure magic. Juicy palate and wonderful tropical fruit punch body, with a good thickness. Hop juice finish, mild resin, with big hints of mango and soft baguette dough french bread on the aftertaste. Full, rich, luscious.

Overall just and amazing creation, flooring. Just a stunning brew. Reminds me of a superior Odell Myrcenary.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Golden yellow body with a sticky white head.

A big dank, stinky hop aroma. Melon, grass, and tropical fruits.

The beer is straight up dank as hell. Resinous and fiendishly bitter but exploding with passion fruit, fresh cut grass, and lemon rind.

Still, it attains a high level of drinkability with all that going on.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Filled at the brewery, 10 day old batch.
Super special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this one. Your generosity never ceases to amaze...

A- Hazy sunset hued pour with a two finger, large white bubbled head. Slowly fades to a thin cap leaving gobs of lacing around the sides of the glass.

S- Huge amounts of grapefruit, it's as if it has grapefruit juice in it. That sour, citrusy pulpy flesh thrown right in. Bitter pine and than it sweetens out with pineapple, mango and a touch of mandarin and strawberries. This truly is a remarkable smelling beer. Super citrus forward just the way I like it and the way it should be!

T- Grapefruit, mango, mandarin oranges, mango and pineapple. Very tropical but still bitter enough with the citrus and pine hop profile to make any hop head savour every sip. Lingering grapefruit finish.

M- Heavier side of light bodied, good carbonation.

O- I think I found the perfect (if not top 2) IPAs ever produced. It's literally perfect in every sense, the grapefruit is what does it for me. I used to hate grapefruit years ago but now I can't get enough, and having it jammed in a bottle of beer from a highly regarded brewery makes it even better!

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Growler from 9-18-13, drank on 9-29-13. Thanks to DonFrap for snagging this one for me!

This poured a hazy gold color with a foamy, thick off-white head that stays for a long time, leaving lacing down the glass as you go.

The aroma on this thing... wow. After my pour I was sitting back in my chair playing on my phone, a good 3 feet from the glass, and the smell was overpowering. Incredibly mango and citrusy hop and fruit smell.

The taste is an ever-changing complex arrangement that leaves you wishing the bottle was bottomless. At the forefront is a pleasant mango and fruit that tapers off to a biting grapefruit. The way this changes in your mouth is incredible.

Medium mouthfeel with perfect carbonation (even after spending a week and a half in the growler).

I wouldn't change a thing about this beer, except make it available more often.

A must have.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Maybe the best Hill DIPA I have ever had. It's tropical fruit meets pine. Soft mouth feel, very clean, lingering clean hop flavor. I can't say enough about how good this beer is.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

This review is a based on culmination of notes taken from when I had the beer fresh on draft (at Positive Pie) and from a three day old growler filled at Hill Farmstead Brewery.

A: Poured a deep golden color with an apricot-orange tinted hue with about a finger and a half of white head. The head receded into suds and a thick rim around the walls of the glass.

S: The aroma on the beer reveals hints of orange, grapefruit, and tangerines. The beer holds a very "clean" smell. One of the better smelling DIPAs I have head (reminds me of Abner).

T: This is what an IPA should taste like; bright sweet citrus quality engulfs my palate (notes of sweet orange and sugar sprinkled grapefruit) upfront. Out the back is mild sweetness that is over taking by a lingering bitterness.

M: Light/Soft carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

O: A very well crafted IPA. The aroma is an excellent foreword to the taste. The taste is extremely balanced and full of flavor. On par, if not better than Abner (and I loved Abner).

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks LambicKing!
Pours a fairly hazy peach color with a great fluffy white head with great retention and lacing.

Lovely nose full of tropical fruit, pineapple, apricot, mango and citrus peels.

Flavor is fantastic. Amazing light citrus. Fantastically balanced with a slightly fruity sweetness up front and finishing with a lovely citrussy and mildly bitter hop back end.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. So light and crisp. So good on this un-godly hot CA summer day.

Overall, God I wish HF was in CA. I've had this and Abner as far as their ipas and both are just phenomenal!

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

On draft at Blackback pub in Waterbury. I also drank a 750 mL of this last week.

The beer appears hazy and golden hued with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers a delectable bouquet of citrus and hops. Malt presence seems minimal - seems very promising so far. OK I'm back...just went to a different universe when I tasted this. To say this is delicious and smooth doesn't begin to do this beer justice. Light bodied without being thin. Dangerously drinkable. Will report back after I come back down from this...

Society & Solitude #4 from Hill Farmstead Brewery