Civil Disobedience #5 | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

A single barrel blend of Ann, Art, and Flora.

Added by MasterSki on 10-24-2012

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split with mongo a couple weeks ago, poured into a HF tulip at cellar temp. Thanks jedwards, the HF you send never gets old!

A - Light orange body, good white head. Nice lacing.

S - Slightly tart with Saison spices, hint of citrus, lemons and oranges.

T - Soft Saison spices with mildly tart lemon. The lemon bites and then a malty finish comes through.

M - Light side of medium.

O - Pretty good overall, which is what I've come to expect from HF Saisons. The only thing that I'd change would be the finish.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured a hazy golden-straw like colour. Poured slowly, minimal head.

Smell: A little funky, citrusy, oaky. Very nice smell, very "soft", if that makes any sense.

Taste: Very nice. Funky, saison-like character is there. A bit of citrus. Very refreshing. Oak is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This is where I feel the CD 5 is different. It has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel unlike the crispness of other saisons (Arthur, Anna, etc). I would credit this characteristic to the blending and the barrel.

Overall: I drank this in celebration of attaining a internship with an organization I had wanted to become involved with for years. The beer did not disappoint. Was it the best beer I've ever had? No. I really liked it, but I believe I would still consume Arthur more regularly if both were released on consistent basis.

I bought this beer on a trip made from Montreal to HF. Everyone should visit if they have the chance. It's a great experience.

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thank you to montrealbcr89 for this treat from Vermont!

Appearance. Pours a hazy yellow gold with a finger of frothy white head.

Smell. Very light belgian yeast, lightly funky. There's some honey, woody chardonay, and a bit of orchard fruits and blossoms.. Smells very refined and very delicious.

Taste. Lightly funky, woody white wine and saison yeast, light sourness, some fruit blossoms and a touch of honey. Again, very refined and delicious.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with fairly lights, delicate carbonation which suits this beer well.

Overall. A fantastic saison. Delicate and delicious. Thanks again, montrealbcr89. A nice way to celebrate the end of a great year, and the start of another.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%

pour is pale yellow, slightly hazed, tight white head. Nose is a bit sulfuric, notes of Saison, some sweet lemon, fairly brett forward, a bit peppery and a touch of honey. Taste is a bit less Saison, honey, sweet citrus hop, strong brett, thins out in back, a touch sweaty, not as carbonated as Ann or cd 1, a bit heavier.

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

Received this bottle in a recent trade and I'm excited about finally getting to try a HF beer.. I love saisons as well so...

Hmmmm... The nose on this has me thinking more, "Gueuze" than "Saison". Right off the bat, I get this sharp acidic grape note that definitely screams wine barrel.. Very little of the yeasty funkiness one would normally find in a saison, but I'm not really complaining. It's just.... different that I was expecting..

Loads of wine notes flood the palate with each sip... Tart and acidic although not bracingly sour... this definitely drinks like a gueuze to me... a mild one, mind you... but a gueuze... I'm not 100% sure I'm a huge fan of putting this in a barrel as opposed to just blending all 3 together... This seems a little all over the place... the barrel dominates and not necessarily in a good way...

I really wanted to like this more, I really did.. It just fell a little short for me... there are much better examples of the style than this...

Civil Disobedience #5 from Hill Farmstead Brewery