Juicy | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Juicy is inspired by our love for New Zealand—the adventures had therein, and the journeys grown from without. Our love for the landscape, the agriculture, and the spirited reflection of its inhabitants a decade ago has led to the vision of what lies before you. After more than a year conditioning in wine barrels with our resident microflora, the beer that we have referred to as Juicy is now ready to be enjoyed.

Added by MasterSki on 11-20-2012

Reviews: 82 | Ratings: 472

This is simply a beautiful beer, top to bottom. It is easily one of my top beers, if not my top beer.

It was a gusher, so be prepared with a glass. The half ounce of beer spilled on the bar was truly tragic.

This beer is listed as "0 ICUs", which means there is no "citrus zest" added to the beer. That's surprising, as the first thing you notice in the aroma is citrus fruit everywhere. The taste follows, with a barrage of oranges, apricots, and peaches. It continues and builds along with a lurking bitterness from the New Zealand hops. Towards the back end, an explosion of multi-layered Brettanomyces sensation starts, reminiscent of Orval. It finishes with a combination of that Orval-esque Brett flavor and orange citrus. It's aged in Mimosa barrels, which had 500 ICUs if I remember correctly, so the fruit flavors that I was lucky enough to taste in Mimosa are certainly present in Shaun Hill's "mini-Mimosa" here in Juicy.

Don't take any of this to mean that the beer is one-note citrus. It's not. Between the sufficient amount of hops to keep a lurking bitterness, the intricate flavoring of Brettanomyces in the back end, and the citrus flavor, it combines to make a truly world-class and wonderful beer. Everyone was absolutely blown away by this beer. It'd be on my short "desert island" list for sure.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

This is my first beer review, and to be honest, it is only because it is necessary. I have never felt the need to give my input on a beer except while bartending or during a bottle share, until now.

The smell is a deep brett funk with a small hint of tartness.
The initial taste is huge brett, slightly bitter.
It finishes like taking a huge bite out of a Florida orange on a hot summer day at the beach with the best of friends.
Both bottles i have had were not gushers, and although this was not thr best beer i have ever tasted, it was the most interesting and pleasant one by far.

Enjoy, and happy hunting.

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Bottle thanks to ILOVESTOUTS, poured into a Hill Farmstead glass.

Pour: Deep, hazy blood orange. Body is nearly radient with color. A really nice two finger, off white head forms. The head hangs around for a little while, eventually leaving lots of sticky lacing, and a film.

Smell: Funk to start which is then overpowered by a wealth of juicy grapefruits and mangos. Some lemon zest. A deep must throughout the nose. Some white wine and oak at the end.

Taste: Up front is a HUGE burst of grapefruit, passion fruit, grape must, and mangos. A really clean funk accompanies along with a refreshing tartness. The wine barrel presence is quite evident throughout, and provides a distinct oakeyness. A slight bitterness comes out at the end in the form of citrus juice, along with a slightly bready sweetness. The finish is dry with oak.

Mouthfeel: Well, the feel is... juicy. Clean tartness that is not puckering, but very refreshing. Medium bodied. The dry finish is incredibly refreshing. This beer is a sipper, simply because there is SO much going on in taste.

Overall: This is the new best beer I've ever had. I'm not sure this even needs age, because I don't see how it can improve. Perfection.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to MEW for this one!
Poured into new belgian globe from 350 bottle, be careful, mine was a gusher.

a- poured a beautiful hazy golden peach, about a half inch of clean white head. I haven't seen a beer quite this color before. Nice lacing as well.

s- lots of citrus on the nose, lots of brett tartness but without the plastic or band aid smells some people associate with brett. Some hops come through as well, but the brett makes my mouth water, so on with the show...

t- first sip, holy cow, reminds me of biting into a fresh grapefruit. Lots of bright citrus tartness with the hops balancing things out well. I can't decide if I should sip and savor this or chug this right now! Amazing flavors, I can't get enough.

m- silky smooth mouthfeel, the head adds a velvet like feel to the tart flavors. Exactly what I expected.

o- this has been the best brett saison I have had. Ever. Top five beers of all time for me thus far.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

Happy Thanksgiving! 375ml bottle 8 days after release poured into HF stemware. Gushes out so be ready with your glass upon opening.

A: Burnt sunset orange - it looks Juicy! More than an finger of off white foam dissipating to half a finger or so that remains. Nice chunks of lacing even early on. Cloudy, opaqueness with bits of yeast and other barrel buddies settling to bottom. Tiny bubbles frolic.

S: Funky and bright. Citrus/lemon zest aromas of the NZ (riwaka?) hops. Musty but invogorating as opposed to dank. Orange! Perhaps it's Mimosa lineage coming through? Either way it's fantastic.

T: Tart, but not sour per se. Strong citrus flavors. Slight peachiness? A blast of yeast and brett appear mid palate and meld well with the creeping bitterness. A lot going on here, but somehow Shaun and Co. have managed to optimize and it comes off flawlessly. Delicious.

M: Refreshingly, zesty, light at first. Slight creaminess weaving with some dryness as the finish approaches. Upon swallowing your mouth and mind want another sip! Never becomes heavy, cloying or overbearing.

O: Saison? American Wild Ale? I'd say some where in between and encompassing the best of both worlds. What can I say that hasn't been said of HF. I'm so happy I live in New England. I haven't had Ann, but I probably prefer this over Mimosa. If you get the chance to drink Juicy do it--early and often!

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

My favorite of Shaun's saisons/wilds yet. A fantastic mix of Belgian saison and an American wild - It certainly crosses stylistic lines with ease.

Warning!! This is a gusher! I lost about a half an ounce of this liquid gold and after tasting it I was in mourning for the rest of the evening;)

A bright orange glowing liquid when my snifter is held up to the light. Bubbles are supercharged to begin with before quickly taming down. A thin white head is left on the glass with a slight sticky lace from the preponderance of New Zealand hops used balanced perfectly with lightly roasted malt.

Wow! Holy shit!!! I can't believe that this beer doesn't contain fruit!!! Nose of tangerine, lemon, apricot, peach. Damn!

The taste follows through on the nose with the best aspects of so many great beers present. The best use of Brett since Orval. Fou' Foune juiciness (I swear there must be apricots or peaches in this, the mustiness of Fantome Saison and Consecration's currents and sombiosis all at once! And then the hops just scream citrus!!

Mouthfeel is spritzy with a high level of carbonation,but it dries out nicely and is very more-ish.

Overall this is another masterpiece from Mr. Hill.

4.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a crazy beer. A beautiful balance of fruit and acid with a nose I will never forget! Tasted at the RateBeer fest and now trying to everything I can to get my hands on a bottle!

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

L: golden amber honey color small bubble ring lace.
S:sweet citrus with hoppy pineapple notes.
T: Light fluffy refreshing taste of sweet fruits with mild barrel age notes.
F: refreshing mouthful of sweet tart grapefruit bubbles.
O: Excellent beer and a must have.
375ml Bottled on 12/16

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Darker than I thought it would be; More of a deep amber-hued body with a generous 1cm white foamy head with decent retention
S: Tropical fruits, pineapple, mango, and of course a healthy amount of funk on the nose
T: Burst of peach, Meyer lemon, and mango is met by a delicate tartness
F: Light and pillowy mouthfeel with a lactic coating on the finish
O: As malleable a saison as I've ever encountered, Juicy takes on aspects of a tart wild ale, rustic farmhouse ale, and juicy DIPA in a very clean and well orchestrated flavor profile. While I've been nothing but impressed with HF's offerings, Juicy truly separates itself in my perspective. This was a novel beer in many regards to my palate and one I thoroughly enjoyed. While it certainly lives up to its namesake, the soft tartness and delicate mouthfeel only serve to enhance the experience. Nicely done.

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Hill Farmstead stemware glass. Gushes a bit on opening

Milky white top, classic HF milky and tight bubbles make the pour and cap. Always leaves a nice 2-3mm puck. Body color is a dull peach orange, and opaque quite hazy.

Bouquet hits hot and sharp. Big brett funk, mixing with large aromatic peaches and fruit. Mellows out with a nice to aptly described heat and tropical juicy fruit action. Lots of pineapple, and yellow tropic sensations. More of a punch tropic than an actual beer, just that hint of classic big funk brings you back. Smells amazing. A few drops spill on my hands, and my fingers smell like liquid bread, just incredible.

What an impressive palate. Fruit punch action, and tropical pineapple abounds. Huge juice finish with large peppery sensing spice. Bread and toasty sourdough explode in the aftertaste all over. A good controlled burst of heat, but nothing boozy. Incredibly.. truly.. juicy palate, mouth coating and full, but light and not thick. Lemon, pineapples, peaches oh my.. throw in some farmhouse big bold goodness and it's mouthwatering.

I am not one for tropical notes, I am even less one of a fan for pineapple flavors, but this is just unreal. Borderline blurring drink. Great saison, great Hill Farmstead stuff. Stupidly drinkable... MORE!

4.78/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Gold to amber with medium head and lacing. The first half of the bottle will pour clear, the second half will pour hazy.

S: Wine barrels and tropical fruit.

T+F: The first half of this bottle pour is funky, earthy, bitter, and heavy on the wine barrels. The second half of the pour is juicy and frothy, exploding with fruit and wine characteristics, tailing off with doses of salt and faint hops.

O: A Top 5 Hill Farmstead bottle. Batch 2 is basically a better tasting CD11. Keep in mind, though, that if you are going to be sharing this bottle, you will want to pour slowly and evenly into glasses, as the bottom half of the bottle is the true star of the show.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big big big thank you to Franklinn for sending me this treat. Cheers man!!

Appearance. Pours a rich, hazy, peachy orange with a finger of off white head that leaves some clouds and pretty lace behind on the sides of the glass.

Smell. Just awesome. Mangoes and papaya, sweet citrus flesh and melon, a bit of peaches and pineapple with a sweet and lightly peppery saison yeast and woody white wine. Oh man...

Taste. Fresh squeezed yellow grapefruit juice, dry woody white wine, orange zest and grassy hops, and some tropical fruits with a slight trace of savory herbs. There's some bitterness in the form of grass and yellow grapefruit rinds in the fairly dry finish. Something reminiscent of brett as well, in a lighter, more earthy way.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, below medium fine and fairly smooth carbonation.

Overall. These guys really know their shit. Just an amazing brew with a very fitting name. Here's hoping that many many brewers try to follow suit with the type of saisons being put out by this place. I would buy this by the case on a weekly basis if I could ...which makes me ask why the hell can't I??? Thanks again Franklinn, awesome of you to hook me up!

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

consumed fresh - bottled 12.2016

love the appearance of this bottle - pour is a slightly hazy golden orange color with a bright white head that decorates the glass.

strong aromas of funky brett, lemongrass, hay, barnyard, horse blanket, citrus peel, slightly tart, touch of peppery spice, garlic, apples, hint of oak.

palate is tart apples, orange peel, lemon, beautiful funkyness, vinous notes, garlic, onion, peppery hops, oak, crackery malt

mouthfeel is crisp and this beer finishes slightly dry, light-medium bodied with a fluffy & creamy texture that accentuates the beautiful flavor profile.

overall this beer was refreshingly tart and extremely enjoyable and while this is not my go to style, its easily a standout in my mind... absolutely perfect!

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a gusher...like a chemical reaction once opened.
Note: you really gotta let this baby warm up to let it shine.

A: Beautiful shade of vibrant golden orange. Largest head I've ever seen in a beer. Fizzy, foamy, bubbly, bright white. One of the longest lasting heads, as well. Never really goes away with great retention and lace. This deserves more than a 5.

S: Very complex. Bursts of ripe, sour fruit. Fizzy, chalky, densely sweet sugar. Funk and wood. Some citrus and the NZ hops if you grt deep. Give it a stir and the aromas explode again. I found my nose buried in this for minutes at a time. A pleasure for the senses. I've honestly never spent more time smelling a beer in my life. Again, higher than a 5.

T: Oh yeah, I get to drink this beer, too! Everything in the nose but fruitier, hoppier, a bit funkier and very dry.

M: Perfect carbonation, very dry and fruity, but a bit chalky and cloying. It's going to be hard to enjoy other beers of this style after this near perfection.

O: I'd say it's more of an American Wild than a Saison. Worth the hype but that's easy for me to say because I was able to easily acquire a bottle. I was expecting it to change my life and it didn't, but it definitely blew my mind. Fantastic beer.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with a small white head.
S: Smells funky! Lots of pineapple and wine barrel notes as well.
T: Wow, this tastes amazing. Reminds me of Mimosa but with tropical flavors instead of citrus. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple flavors followed by nice tartness.
M: Carbonation is spot on. Very nice. It feels juicy, with nice refreshing tartness. Clean finish.
O: I can't decide which is my number one but this just earned a top spot in my HF list, up there with Mimosa and Damon. Reminds me a lot of Mimosa, which is definitely a good thing.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle opened 6/22/13, poured into a HF taster glass.

A-Upon opening, this one is a bit of a gusher. Nothing bad, but if I hadn't started pouring the beer would have gone all over the table. It pours dark copper verging on red with effervescent carbonation running throughout the beer. It is very cloudy from some yeast sediment that got kicked up from the gushing bottle. A two inch fluffy white head falls a little over the first minute, but remains on top of the beer throughout the entire glass. Some yeast sediment settles at the bottom of the glass.

S- Lactic acidity as well as brett is apparent on the nose. Grapefruit and citrus is also there, although I can't tell if it is from the hops or bugs. There is a very interesting barnyard/musty note as well, most likely from the brett.

T- Up front is some phenolic brett, although right away the flavor is dominated by a grapefruit juice like flavor that immediately dries everything out. There is a tiny bitter note on the end, although with the complexities in this beer, it is easy to miss.

M- It starts out extremely effervescent, with high carbonation, but not over the top. There is medium body that sits right where I want it for a beer like this- not too over the top, but still apparent enough. After you swallow, your mouth is immediately dried out, and without another sip will remain that way for quite a while! This beer encourages you to keep drinking it.

O- Incredibly complex beer from start to finish. I was expecting more hop flavors, but It seemed like the bugs have really taken over on the flavor front of things, making for a very interesting wild ale. The only real fault I see with this beer is that I don't have another to age out and see how it develops over time.

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Huge, huge thanks to Evan for this one. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Slow gusher as I pop the cap. Nothing big, but have a glass at the ready. Pour yields a deep peach-colored brew with a nice two-finger white head. Good retention and plenty of lacing as it goes down. Thin cap throughout.

The initial nose provides a good dose of honeydew alongside tropical fruit. Mild funk and white-wine character in the background. Touch of citrus rind and very light straw.

Flavor is incredible. Absolutely fantastic. Notes of melon and white wine overlay a very light acidity. Just a touch of oak in the background as well as some mild underlying Brett.

Body is light with a mild underlying bitterness. Acidity is quite light and is more along the lines of a mild citrus character rather than straight lactic acid. There's a touch of creaminess in the background. Perhaps not creamy, but just a bit of wheat character.

Overall, on the level with the best Hill Farmstead beers. Phenomenal, to say the least. Can we officially name Hill Farmstead the best brewery in the world?

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

375ml Bottle split between some great BA friends. Been waiting to open this one for a while.

A: Lighter than expected - a tinge of cloudy orange. A gusher but was to be expected from a HF wild ale.

S: Amazing, I think only Flora has a better nose. Wine and fruit and hops. Lemon/tangerine/dry white wine. Can smell a bit of funk seeping through the citrus. Some nice hop aroma at the end.

T: Brett on the tongue. Citrus and a moderate bitterness through the middle. Wine-soaked tangerines and a slight hint of grapefruit through the finish. Complex and delicious. Hard not to gulp the entire bottle down.

M: Moderate. Not as thin as the color suggested. Nicely carbed (could have been the year in the bottle that did it)

O: Cliche to say - I didn't think this could live up to the hype - but it did. The tasting group was blown away by this one, and I can't wait to snag another now that it's been rebrewed.

If you have the ammo, definitely trade for this one. My 2nd favorite HF beer of all time, behind the mighty Flora.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Out of my Ommegang glass.

A- A beautiful warm orangey amber color. Pours with a nice foamy white head and plenty of lacing. Pretty crisp and clean.

S- A strong smell of funky bret, tangerine, and peachy fruity smells. Wow!

T- the initial flavor is very funky and bretty , it quickly transitions to more of a peppery saison flavor. The aftertaste is nice fruity hops with touches of orange and lemon rind. Definitely a baby mimosa of sorts.

M- as always from Hill Farmstead it is spot on.

O- the diversity in flavor is just incredible. If you love funky bretty beers, this should be a must have. The citrus and hops just compliment each other extremely well.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 2

A: Pours an amber copper in color, small fizzy head, darker than I expected.
S: Super complex, big fruity peach and mango, oakiness, funk notes, more citrus, beautiful aroma on this thing.
T: Extremely well balanced - oak and barrel, punchy tropical fruit and citrus, light white wine, slightly acidic.
M: Crisp and clean, super drinkable.
O: Wanted this to be as good as I hoped and it certainly was. Would love to drink this more often, just a joy to drink.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into stemmed wine glasses at the Hill Farmstead tasting room on 12/15/16.
Pours a beautiful deep amber with great clarity and one finger of bubbly head.
Aromas of white wine, oak and lots of yeast abound.
Flavors are incredible. So much wine flavor, so much wood, great tartness. Deep, round flavor.
Mouthfeel was excellent and kept drawing me back for another sip.
Possibly the best wild ale I've ever had.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into a Dogfish snifter.

A~ glowing orange hazy amber, with minimal smooth head.

S~ peppery, pineapple, lemon, lime with a great wine aged fragrance on the finish.

T~ straight pineapples up front with the mouthfeel of pineapple juice kind of like 5GR without the booze. nice funk, peppery saison, and amazing bitterness from the hops on the finish,

M~ smooth with perfect carbonation in my opinion. a lot like the texture of pineapple juice.

O~ incredible! HF never cease to amaze me with their saisons and wilds, every time i drink one i want to try another. at this point its safe to say they are my favorite brewery.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Revisit review:

Bottled Dec. 2016

Moderate pour yields a 1/2 inch head that is gone in a few minutes with a thin ring to the end. Fairly clear and bright, light amber body. Nose of citrus, oak, slight straw/hay, and even slighter champagne vinegar. Taste follows with pink grapefruit and a very nice champagne-like dryness. Nice mouth feel with a nice, dry finish of yellow grapefruit. Overall, yes; I could drink this for days on end!

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Shared from a 375ml bottle.
Smelled the bottle when uncapped and the initial aroma was ugly vegetal, cabbage-y funk. Strange.
Then the pour. Really opened up. Hugely aromatic beer - melon first, then gooseberries, NZ sauvignon blanc, spicy cedar, tropical fruits, new world hops all over the place.
Flavor was bright and citrusy, heavy on white wine barrels and hops - not bitter, just aromatic. Hard to tell where the hops end and wine barrels begin. Masterfully done.
Loved this beer. Big and complex and beautiful. Way to go, Shaun.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, had really nice feel. Tasted fantastic, probably the best Saison I've had from Hill. Had a citrusy tart feel in the mouth. Great color on the pour and the smell was a good funk smell.

Juicy from Hill Farmstead Brewery