Mary | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: German Pilsener

Mary was Edward's mother and our great-grandmother. A German-style pilsner brewed with our well water, American 2-row malt, our favorite German hops, classic German lager yeast.

Added by yourefragile on 01-13-2013

Reviews by jaasen64:
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml swing-top growler poured into HF stemmed glass. Filled at the brewery the day before. Copied from notes since my computer wasn't working at time.

A- Opens with a nice "pop" and pours a light clear golden straw color with nice consistent carbonation and about two fingers of foamy, slightly bubbly head that leaves nice layered lacing.

S- Aromas of lemons, grains, fresh grass, hops, pilsener malts. Very aromatic with nice distinct fresh smells. I don't know what it is about this beer, but in my opinion it's one of the most refreshing aromas I've had the pleasure of experiencing in a beer- I could smell it all day.

T- Lemony with a nice crisp refreshing grassy graininess to it. Finishes with pilsener malts and crisp lemons.

M- Medium bodied, crisp, refreshing, nice carbonation, very easy drinking.

O- This would be the perfect beer to enjoy on a nice sunny spring day right after mowing the lawn. It is crisp, refreshing, and very easy drinking with a nice mixture of lemons and grassy graininess to it. I haven't had a ton of pilsener's and I haven't ever been a huge fan of the style (maybe I just haven't experienced enough), but this beer is easily one of the best of the style that I've had and I hope HF makes it a regular offering.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Had at the Hill Farmstead brewery on Saturday, 9/26, poured into a wine glass. Pours a somewhat clearer gold color with hints of haze. Some nice pilsner malt on the nose, not really hoppy at all. Starts the flavor with a nice doughy sweetness, some grassy notes in the middle, finishes bitter and dry with some graininess. Feels very light and has a lot of carbonation, easy to drink. Overall not too impressed with this considering the other options here, but a solid American Pilsner nonetheless.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Light foggy look
Light taste

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 5 day old HF growler and still perfect. amazing.

A - Straw yellow, full finger thick fluffy head, patchy lacing, carbonation rising continuously

S - barley, grain, biscuit, earthy, grass

T - Grain, barley, wheat, lemon, grass, earthy

M - Wow. full, thick, frothy as can be, viscosity is med/high.

O - Best 'German Pilsner' i've ever head. very refreshing. mouth is outstanding. malt and yeast flavor is fantastic. at 4.7 ABV I could easily drink this all day. love it.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Dive Bar in Manhattan.

I was expecting this to be hazy and it wasn't, which I appreciate.

It's really true to style, from appearance, to nose, to flavor. Crisp, refreshing and light and really distinguished by a floral, lightly sweet honey finish that lingers. I like that little flourish, however HF achieved it.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Do I get swept up with the HF reputation when I go there during I can't help but wonder if that colors my reviews or not? And in saying that I generally am not a huge fan of pilsners but when I had Mary yesterday it was wonderfully smooth and drinkable. It surprised me how much I liked it and would buy it again. THIS pilsner will likely get me to try a few more. Thanks HF.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%