Mary | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: German Pilsener

Mary was Edward's mother and our great-grandmother. A German-style pilsner brewed with our well water, American 2-row malt, our favorite German hops, classic German lager yeast.

Added by yourefragile on 01-13-2013

4.99/5  rDev +20%

4.98/5  rDev +19.7%

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best HF beers I've had. I had it fresh at the brewery and I'm rating a growler pour that is a week old. Phenomenal. Tons of nice clean honey on the nose and taste. Enjoy. This beer is highly underrated. Glad I brought a growler home.

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straw color. Smells like beer from the homeland. Tastes even better. Hops there but malt better. Lager yeast sulferiness is so appropriate and integrated. Mouthfeel perfect for style.

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Alchemist glass even though I own an HF glass because I will god-damned if I'm gonna drink a pilsner out of a chalice. Also, side note, why does Alchemist make glasses if you're supposed to drink all their beers right out of the can? I am the only one of you people who’s paying any attention? What about ETHICS IN BEER JOURNALISM?!? We need a #drunkardgate.

Okay, so I had this at Hill Farmstead's newly opened taproom, where you can get full pours. I was already drunk and palette-wrecked off of Heady, so I'm glad I had sense enough to discard my notes and take home a 750 of this.

It pours like a nice Euro pils—dark gold, filtered, with a steady white head that laces mightily.

Smells fantabulous. Mild herbal profile against aggressive, dry German hops that could easily be mistaken for Saaz. The German grain aromas become more pronounced as I gain familiarity with the beer and it ends up tasting like an absolutely perfect blend between a Municher and a Czech pils (although the hops are German, they're aggressive and spicy enough to resemble Czech beers).

Tastes like it smells: a wonderfully balanced-yet-aggressive pils. Medium grain, big hops, kiss of yeast, and then zero esters. Finishes dry as can be.

It's been a long time since I've had a good, fresh Prima Pils, and even longer since I had FFF's criminally underrated Czech Booty Camp, so I can't say for sure that Mary unseats either of them as the best American-brewed pils. I can say, however, that it easily sit alongside them in the upper tier.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pint at Parker Pie in West Glover VT.
A= Clear with thick white head that lasts. Head creamy and gave me a bubble mustache.
S= Some toasty malt and yeast.
T= I am not necessarily a pilsner fan, but this is a great all around beer that meets all expectations for this styles flavor characteristics. Little bit of citrus in there with grassy overtones, malt comes through as a bit toasty.
M= Lite, crisp, smooth with good carbonation level.
O= I cannot complain about anything for this beer from Hill Farmstead. I always go for their IPA's but figured I would try something different with my lunch. Great Pilsner from a great brewery.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic pilsner. Quite possibly one if the best Ive ever had.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Anchorage Brewing Co, for "Hill Farmstead Day."

Consumed on 08/18/2016.

This is a fantastic example of this style of beer.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mary from Hill Farmstead Brewery