Edith | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Edith (1897-1992) was our grandfather’s sister, and Hill Farmstead Brewery rests upon the land that was once home to her and her 13 siblings. In her honor, this black saison is crafted from American malted barley, German roasted malts, European hops, our farmhouse yeast, and water from our well. Unfiltered and naturally carbonated, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Edith.

Added by SFLpunk on 09-03-2010

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Honestly, if Hill Farmstead didn't make it, say Sierra Nevada did, would people think it's that great? It's an odd combo that doesn't taste or finish well IMO

2.16/5  rDev -46.5%

just gross. smelled horrible and tasted like roasty and ash.

2.41/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

From the bottle courtesy of Sam. Thanks!

A: Dull, dark brown. Head is a dark cream and has good retention. Decent legs.

N: Cacao, lavender, rose, flower beds grass, and a scattering of crushed tylenol.

T: Tart, earthy, bitter, then sweet. This clashes at every single point, and it is absolutely awful to me. I want to dump my glass.

M: Somewhat oily and medium bodied.

O: This doesn't work for me at all. I don't mind the dark saison style, but I shouldn't want to spit it out immediately, either. If this wasn't at a bottle share, I'd be very unhappy at having bought this.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Please, everyone, just stop making dark saisons. They are not tasty.

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice dark brown almost black hue with a nice trip finger sudsy head that fades to leave a light blanket.

S - Aromas of sour infection perhaps, cherries, light chocolate, roast malts, and some weird off note deep in the background...Hmm

T - Taste is quite sour cherry, light chocolate, faint roast, not very saison like at all, comes off as infected as this wasn't barrel aged at all. Bah...very sad by this..

M - Mouthfeel is not too bad, carbonation is spot on.

O - Overall I was massively disappointed by this beer, clearly something went wrong somewhere in this process add this is simply not a saison anymore. Gah!

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottled at the end of March, so only a few months old, shouldn't be too bad. Shared with rudzud.

Pop the bottle and a slow rise of foam up the neck. Pours a decent off white creamy fluffy head that fades at a med pace, spotty lacing, pretty much pitch black beer with no real light getting through.

Nose had a definite sour fruit, tart cherry like, thinking infection. A bit of a grainy dark malt, hint caramel cocoa almost, very faint roast almost acrid like but not quite that. Some saison spices, almost earthy root like, light choc covered cherry, almost definite sour fruit wild yeast. Not much for saison malts or yeast like.

Taste starts with a light sour infection again, wild like bready yeasty taste, I'm almost positive infection now. The sour wild yeast infection destroys pretty much all the saison flavours. There is a hint of cocoa and very light acrid like roast, touch of bitterness, choc covered cherry, etc. an earthy dirty flavor too maybe saison yeast. Finish is sticky sweet flemmy grainy with plenty of sour cherry infected yeast like.

Mouth is sticky syrupy and med bod, decent carb.

Overall meh. Obvious infection and with the lower carb and sweetness I wonder how long it's been infected, there's no real saison left. If I could get another bottle of this I wouldn't even review it, but people need to know to drink it now in case their's is also infected. If I somehow find one I'll re-review it.

3.02/5  rDev -25.2%

3.04/5  rDev -24.8%

Just to clarify for anyone reading about infections in this beer, it isn't. Hill Farmstead Saisons are typically tart to sour and always funky. That being said, I found that the dark malts did not work for my palette along with the citrus, fruit, and herbal aromas from the yeast. It just never came together as a cohesive beer for me. It was an interesting challenge to finish the glass because I wanted to study and experience the beer due to all the praise it has received, but I think this would be better without some of the conflicting flavors such as the dark chocolate bitterness I tasted in the finish with the acid. It does get better at room temp, but it is not my cup of tea, er, beer.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Really not a fan of Dark Saisons

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Edith from Hill Farmstead Brewery