Prolegomena | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Prolegomena is our interpretation of the Flanders Red Ale - the Burgundy of Flanders, Belgium. In April 2011, we brewed out version of this classic style with the help of our friend Will Meyers. The beer has aged gracefully in oak barrels for more than two years, all the while slowly developing acidity and various layers of complexity and from the introduction of wild yeast and bacteria.

Added by MasterSki on 04-25-2013

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- pours a brown/ruby color, tall fizzy tan head
S- grapes, red wine, plums, cherries
T- dark fruits, oak, tart cherries, slight acidity.
M- thin to medium body with generous carbonation, warm alcohol, crisp and clean finish. A bit dry but pleasant.
O- honestly I have not had many Flanders red's so I don't have much to compare to, but it was surprisingly drinkable and tart. No harshness at all with a subtle oak dryness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Won this from a raffle at the Hill Farmstead 3rd Anniversary Celebration. So happy I won this, along with a bottle of their Elaborative #1, which I gave to a good friend!

Poured from bottle but shared with five friends, so not a full pour. This is my first official review for a beer, so please bear with me.

Appearance:
Pours a murky, reddish-brown. Head disappears quickly to a thin, white head, giving a fine lacing as you tip your glass.

Smell:
Dark fruit aroma. I definitely get plum with something slightly sweeter, maybe raisin. You can also smell the classic Flanders Red sourness, which makes anticipation of that first taste all the more exciting!

Taste:
More of a mellow sourness than I expected from the smell, but very well balanced with the subtle, grape sweetness. This definitely makes you think of a wine gone sour, but in a good way. I expected a little more oakiness since this was aged for over two years in port wine barrels, but it's just as subtle as the grape.

Feel:
Light carbonation and mouthfeel, but leaves a crisp feeling on the tongue. Tart, but not too tart - right in line with that mellow, sour taste. Makes you want to take the next sip quickly.

Overall:
Very enjoyable brew. I expected nothing less from Hill Farmstead with this one. I love sours, but this beer opened my eyes up to the fact that a well-rounded sour and not a "pucker-your-lips-with-alum" sour is the bar to measure this style against. Very glad I got to share the first released bottle of this beer with some good friends.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75