Damon (Double Barrel Aged) | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Damon (Double Barrel Aged)Damon (Double Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

1 year in Port, 1 year in Van Winkle Bourbon.

Added by MasterSki on 04-25-2013

2.75/5  rDev -40.3%

3.47/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This is for 2016. Want to give an honest review on this beer. No secret I am a huge Hill farmstead supporter. Probably my favorite brewery and I don't even know what #2 is. That being said, this beer has little carb on purpose because it's so intense, takes away from the look. The smell is intense but muddled. You get sweetness and a lot of heat and some choclate underneath but my opinion port kills everything and dominates the nose. Taste right now is kind of a disaster. It had a very rough after taste that made me not want to go back for another sip. Have had regular 2013 ba damon and 2014 DB damon and I think time might be the huge difference. This beer is super complex, to me I think as of right now this was the worst of hill's ba creations. It is thicker and better mouthful the ba everett. But that is so much more inviting and you don't get any off flavors. I have had port damon twice and it's not my bag and as with the 14 db damon the port was tame and integrated well. As of right now this did not and overwhelmed this beer in a bad way for me. Biggest disappointment of the year for me with HF, but he has had so many amazing brews I can't like every single one. Can I?

3.5/5  rDev -24.1%

3.92/5  rDev -15%

From notes. Drank next to bourbon Damon. Pour is black with chestnut reddish head. Nose has more bourbon and wood than bourbon Damon. More fudge and rich chocolate with a hint of astringency and some roasted malt behind. Taste is a bit sweeter and less bourbon notes. Fudgy malt with brown sugar and caramel, a bit sweet in the finish. Full bodied and softer carbonation with a lightly dry finish. After having port as well, this is my favorite but all are a bit too sweet.

4.2/5  rDev -8.9%

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very interesting and complex DBA stout - but I overall felt a little let down. It's delicious, and I would take this over a lot of other BA beers; but it's Hill Farmstead, so unfortunately I hold them to a higher standard. Good stuff for sure, but I've enjoyed many of their other stouts more than this one.

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

375 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Viscous black. No head. A little glass staining.

Smell - Port dominates. Sweet smelling. Vanilla and oak reminiscent of bourbon. Chocolate.

Taste - Bourbon blends really well with the port. Vanilla, oak, and red wine. Coffee. Sweet. The slighest sharp wine flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation. Medium body.

Overall - This is really tasty. Port barrels do magical things, but the bourbon really adds to it.

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%