Damon (Double Barrel Aged) | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Damon (Double Barrel Aged)Damon (Double Barrel Aged)
Liked This Beer
4.57 w/ 145 Ratings
Damon (Double Barrel Aged)Damon (Double Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

1 year in Port, 1 year in Van Winkle Bourbon.

Added by MasterSki on 04-25-2013

Liked:
4.57/5
Alströms:

4.37/5  rDev -4.4%

4.61/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review from 10/26/2014. Opened alongside the most recent batches of Bourbon Damon and Port Damon, alongside a bunch of other amazing stouts, including KBBS. Prior to this tasting, Bourbon Damon was my favorite non-adjunct stout. I suspect you can guess where this is going...

A: Jet black. Somehow marginally darker than Bourbon Damon. Port Damon was quite carbonated comparatively, but the carb here was a light hiss upon opening, equivalent to Bourbon Damon. Almost no head whatsoever. Viscous, as I like my stouts.

S: The depth of the barrel characters is astonishing. This completely blows the smell of Bourbon Damon out of the water. Possibly the richest layers of chocolate, coffee, bourbon, red wine, and slight vanilla imaginable. The perfect non-adjunct stout smell. By comparison, the nose on Port Damon was weak. Astonishingly though, compared to this, Bourbon Damon also feels sparse. Eye opening to smell them next to each other. Without tasting them, I can tell this is starkly superior.

M: Silk. Not overbearingly thick, nor thin whatsoever. The additional year in the barrels really mellowed this out perfectly. I can't help but think I am drinking this at exactly the right juncture in its lifecycle.

T: The taste begins with rich perfect bourbon, more intense than Bourbon Damon despite spending the same time in bourbon barrels. Somehow, this is immensely darker and richer. The profile continues with layers of molasses, espresso, chocolate, vanilla, caramel. Then, the port finish takes this to the next level. A perfect red wine acidity mellows the final gasp of flavor, not overbearing, as young Port Damon was for me. Didn't think this could be that perfectly balanced given my pre-disposition against red wine characters in stouts.

O: A masterwork. This beer is especially remarkable given that there are no other ingredients besides Malt, Hops, Yeast, and Water. This beer succeeds because it is significantly greater than the sum of its parts. Obviously, we had to blend regular Bourbon and Port together to see how it matched up. Not even friggin' close. Truly, this is Shaun at his absolute finest.

4.21/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very interesting and complex DBA stout - but I overall felt a little let down. It's delicious, and I would take this over a lot of other BA beers; but it's Hill Farmstead, so unfortunately I hold them to a higher standard. Good stuff for sure, but I've enjoyed many of their other stouts more than this one.

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 Batch
L: Pours a thick opaque mocha and onyx stream with very minimal head
S: Cacao nibs, dark fruits, and a bit of bourbon
T: Milk chocolate, maple syrup, dates, and a touch of bourbon, which is all underpinned by a deep and rich port barrel on the finish
F: Exceedingly smooth, but minimal carb
O: This batch has held up incredibly well in my opinion. DB Damon is easily the best stout I've had from HF and their barrel aging program is second to none. Simply a well executed and unique stout in a very crowded field.

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

4.25/5  rDev -7%

4.25/5  rDev -7%

4.89/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Ok, so I held onto this long enough. Bought this bottle at the release in September on my first ever trip to Hill Farmstead. Bottle is dated 5/2013. Poured into a stemmed Hill Farmstead glass.

A) Jet black with no head and no carbonation whatsoever. Obviously this comes to no surprise , after all we're talking about a brew that had needed over 2 years before it was put in a bottle.

S) WOW. You get the bourbon and the wine, a slight edge to the wine. The booziness of both port and bourbon are there too.

T) OK, I'm a novice at this but I'll do my best. The bourbon hits first with vanilla, chocolate, caramel, and oak. Next you get the port which when blended with the bourbon gets a bit of raspberry/wine combo, this aspect seems to really shine as it warms. Quite exquisite and surprising. The booze is still prevalent here too.

M) Not overly thick, but a nice coating as I sip. It allows for the flavors to linger between sips (which is nice since I'm nursing this puppy).

O) Hands down one of the amazing beers I've ever had the privilege to try. Super complex and something that will be hard to beat.

4.99/5  rDev +9.2%