Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged) | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged)Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in a mixture of Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace barrels.

Added by MasterSki on 07-22-2013

4.5

Had this next to Genealogy (On tap in Lincoln, Nebraska)

Look - Jet black, little bit of khaki head.

Smell - Chocolate, dark fruit, a hint of the barrel. Really nice.

Taste - Really exceptional. Perfection. So smooth, just a hint of coffee. One of the best Barrel Aged Stouts I have ever had.

Mouthfeel - Thick, chewy, wonderful. Perfection!

Overall - (A+) This one really belongs on Beer Advocates Top 250. A lot of impostors out there, this one is The Real McCoy. Highly recommended!

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Big props to nick for hooking me up with a bottle in a math trade.

Gonna stray away from my usual way of reviewing. I wasn't going to review this beer, I told myself I was gonna be selfish with everything I get from the math bif, just sit back and enjoy a full beer without trying to pick out every detail to review. I wasn't going to share anything because I think there's something special about working your way through an entire bottle, like a long dance.

This is one of those beers. I came to read up on it, and with more gots than wants and 30 something reviews I had to write something. At 500ml it's not a very difficult task to drink through this alone, infact it may not be enough!

I'm a big advocate of 8-9% being the sweet spot for ba beers and looking at the base beer I'd say this guy is around there (although for all I know it can be much hight and drinks like a champ)

And the taste? Incredible. Washing it across the tongue brings out so many different flavors it's quite ridiculous actually. This beer is right uptime alley, it's got everything I want and I'm loving it. It feels like this beer was brewed for my taste buds. Mouthfeel is spot on, and probably a major player of why this guy is tastin so great.

Unfortunatly it's very easy to finish this, what now seems like the tinniest bottle possible alone, and I encourage you to do the same. Spend an evening with a bottle of this guy, it's the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Nick u rocked my world with this one. The next bottle I get Ill try to share... maybe

And damn u shaun for living up to the hype and making beer this delicious.

500ml bottle into a Lawson's snifter

A: Jet black. The only thing that keeps this beer from being perfect is the lack of head and retention.

S: Amazing. Light coffee, huge barrel. Smells exactly like a bourbon barrel stout should.

T: Barrel characteristics are very present, but so smooth. rye is there, but subtle. I don't know how this beer can be this smooth on the taste, with so much barrel characteristics.

M: Perfect. Not too heavy, and so smooth.

O: Birth of tragedy has been my favorite HF beer since I got into craft beer. I need to try this again to be sure, but it might be better. Get this beer however you can. It's a lot better than last year's Madeira version.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

500ml bottle (I think) split 2 ways into a wine glass.

Appearance: Dark tan head, good lacing despite the legginess. Black.

Smell: Sharply effervescent and boozy with tons of bourbon and cookie and malt aromas. Vanilla waifer drenched in caramel, some raisin. Distant echo of coffee. Powerful and perfect.

Taste: Even better than it smells. I hate giving out 5s but there is no flaw here. Just amazing. Perfectly melded coffee, infinitely deep bourbon, oak and malt. Tastes like caramel, has a tiny note of soy sauce in the background, some good, raisiny, aromatic espresso... There's a lot more going on here, and it's all amazing.

Mouthfeel: Full side of medium bodied; not really full bodied, but so creamy that it leaves a thickish impression. Neither dry nor sugary finish; just right.

Overall: There's nothing else you could ask for in s barrel aged stout.

Genealogy Of Morals (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Hill Farmstead Brewery