Society & Solitude #7 | Hill Farmstead Brewery

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Pale Ale brewed exclusively with Simcoe and Amarillo hops from the Pacific Northwest...

Added by goldenM13 on 08-10-2013

Reviews by GuinnessAtRogerWilco:
3.36/5  rDev -23.5%

750ml growler purchased at the brewery on 8-8-13. Poured into a Sam Adams 'perfect pint' glass.

AP: Colour is peach and apricot, actually fairly similar to Susan and Edward. I poured this one slower than the others so head was only about 1/2" before dwindling down to a dusting across the surface and around the glass. Decent lacing.
AR: Aromas in this aren't real strong. There's scents to be sniffed out, certainly, but they are all very subtle and gentle. Nothing 'pops' here. I've never done growlers before so maybe by day 3 this beer has lost some of it's zip. Some beers you can smell them even when the glass is at the end of your outstretched arm on the table, but I'm putting my nose into this and it's not giving me much.
What I do detect is peach, melon, mango. Malts are biscuit, grains and caramel. Just not getting any citrus or pine at all. Hope it's just the aroma and not the taste.
T: Thankfully the flavour seems to have a bit more pop. Light grains and bready malt. A bit of orange and caramel in the middle. Still not getting much fruit on this. Nothing is standing out and letting it's presence known. A soft kiss of pink grapefruit rind on the aftertaste along with a touch of lemon. Most of the flavour of this is on the finish and aftertaste.
M: Moderately carbonated, medium body, finish is more moist than dry, which right now is the best feature of this beer.
OV: Well, sorry everyone, especially to you loyal diehard HF fans. But this beer totally underwhelmed me and I am rather disappointed at the moment. Like I said, I've never done growlers before going to HF so I don't know if that's played into this or not. At the brewery they said the growlers should be fresh (ideally) for 3 days and still drinkable up to a week. Both the aroma and taste were dulled down to me, something was lacking and this beer seemed pretty bland. Nothing stood out or was 'bright' or juicy about this beer. As I'm writing this I keep taking sips and tasting to see if something finally jumps out at me, but alas, no. Don't know what happened here, but I have to be truthful.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A little more bitter on the finish than I've come to expect from HF, and the billing was for strong citrus notes. This came out much more piney and resinous than anything else. All in all still a good IIPA, just a little off the mark of what I was expecting.

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.56/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +3.9%

4.26/5  rDev -3%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden orange. Decent white head. Good collar and nice retention.

Smell - Simcoe-y. Grapefruit and a little bit of that onion to it. Malty with a doughy sweetness.

Taste - Bright citrus and some pale malt sweetness. The grapefruit builds up to an almost pithy grapefruit flavor. Bitter lingering flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium to medium heavy. Sweet and bitter. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Missing the Society magic, I think.

Edit: Had a second growler and it had the Society magic. Rating altered due to magic.

3.11/5  rDev -29.2%

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was poured into a snifter served at The Reservoir. The appearance was a thick ruddy grapefruit rind color with a slim bar pour’s kind of head that barely left any lacing. The smell was a wonderful combination of the grapefruit pulp and orange pulp. Slight mango and papayas slide in underneath. The taste was mainly bittersweet fully combined. Really tasted like I was drinking my morning orange / grapefruit juice. Awesome smooth transition from aftertaste to finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a fairly decent sipping to sessionable quality about it. Carbonation seemed pretty good as the bittersweetness really impounds my tongue in an awesome manner. Overall, not sure why I’m seeing lower ratings from everyone else but I loved this one. HF knocked it out of the park!

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%