Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Hill Farmstead Brewery
Vermont, United States
hillfarmstead.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Pale Ale brewed exclusively with Simcoe and Amarillo hops from the Pacific Northwest...

Added by goldenM13 on 08-10-2013

#498

3.11/5  rDev -29%

3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

3.36/5  rDev -23.3%

750ml growler purchased at the brewery on 8-8-13. Poured into a Sam Adams 'perfect pint' glass.

AP: Colour is peach and apricot, actually fairly similar to Susan and Edward. I poured this one slower than the others so head was only about 1/2" before dwindling down to a dusting across the surface and around the glass. Decent lacing.
AR: Aromas in this aren't real strong. There's scents to be sniffed out, certainly, but they are all very subtle and gentle. Nothing 'pops' here. I've never done growlers before so maybe by day 3 this beer has lost some of it's zip. Some beers you can smell them even when the glass is at the end of your outstretched arm on the table, but I'm putting my nose into this and it's not giving me much.
What I do detect is peach, melon, mango. Malts are biscuit, grains and caramel. Just not getting any citrus or pine at all. Hope it's just the aroma and not the taste.
T: Thankfully the flavour seems to have a bit more pop. Light grains and bready malt. A bit of orange and caramel in the middle. Still not getting much fruit on this. Nothing is standing out and letting it's presence known. A soft kiss of pink grapefruit rind on the aftertaste along with a touch of lemon. Most of the flavour of this is on the finish and aftertaste.
M: Moderately carbonated, medium body, finish is more moist than dry, which right now is the best feature of this beer.
OV: Well, sorry everyone, especially to you loyal diehard HF fans. But this beer totally underwhelmed me and I am rather disappointed at the moment. Like I said, I've never done growlers before going to HF so I don't know if that's played into this or not. At the brewery they said the growlers should be fresh (ideally) for 3 days and still drinkable up to a week. Both the aroma and taste were dulled down to me, something was lacking and this beer seemed pretty bland. Nothing stood out or was 'bright' or juicy about this beer. As I'm writing this I keep taking sips and tasting to see if something finally jumps out at me, but alas, no. Don't know what happened here, but I have to be truthful.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%

3.84/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growler pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and herbal flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a slightly better hop presence in the smell in my opinion.

3.99/5  rDev -8.9%