Single Malt IPA | Blackfoot River Brewing Company

Blackfoot River Brewing Company
Montana, United States
blackfootriverbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Just like Single Malt Scotch, our Singlemalt I.P.A. is brewed from 100% Crisp Maris Otter floor-malted barley - no specialty malts, no blending. This is our interpretation of the American/NorthWest India Pale Ale style. Singlemalt I.P.A. is generously hopped with Northwest-grown Simcoe and Cascade hops. This is our best-selling and most-beloved beer and is golden in color, with a medium-bodied malty backbone and full of hop flavor.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 07-15-2009

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

I think most IPA's tend to be way too bitter 100+ IBUs....Blackfoot IPA still has that crisp, refreshing, tanginess of the hops but without that I just drank a shot of gasoline feel. I had this at the Blackfoot tasting room and then again at Wee Bees in Bozeman and must chalk it up as my favorite IPA.

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: golden hazy look, nice light head that really lasts throughout

Smell: sniff sniff, love the cascade and simcoe hops very fresh and natural, not overdone

Taste: once again these two hops couldn't be better together or balanced any other way. hop forward but not overpowering. mixture of floral, piney Northwest hops

Feel: medium body, doesn't let you forget what your drinking. keeps your buds yearnin for more

Overall: had this beer on tap from the brewery and on tap around town since i moved to helena more then a year and a half ago. hooked since the first sip. by far my favorite IPA/any beer. Very well done couldn't ask for anymore then that

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap... many, many times. beautiful hazy golden pour.
Great hoppy aroma, but not over the top.
Well balanced taste with great hop coverage.
Smooth, medium mouth feel.
This is by far the best IPA in the state, it is smooth, drinkable, and nothing to be laughed at.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.42/5  rDev +7%

this beer pours out a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a one finger white head

the smell is of citrus hops both grapefruit and orange as well as a subtle malt character

the taste is again of mainly orange and grapefuit citrus hops along with a more green hop matter type flavor (maybe dry hops?) and the very faintest of malt flavors along the edges

this one finishes with a firm bitterness and a good mouthfeel with the med body of this beer. the hop florals hang in the nasal and in the mouth after the beer is gone. this is a wonderful west coast style IPA and really puts the hops to use.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at Brooks & Brown last night when we won trivia night. From notes.

This pours a hazy gold with a one finger offwhite head that leaves some sticky but not chunky lace on the way down. On the nose there is obvious citric notes, mostly orange and grapefruits rinds, but there is also a malt backbone that is at the same time substantial and unobtrusive. In the mouth there are citrus rinds and a pleasant, unusual grassy note. I like my IPAs on the dry side but this does a great job of integrating a bready note underneath the citric bitterness. The body is medium with a long bitter finish, not overwhelming.

Overall, I go back and forth between this and Draught Works Scepter Head IPA being the best in state IPA. It's great to have both available. Well worth seeking out. This is certainly the less bitter of the two, but the balance here is pretty admirable in the fact that the backbone is different than standard caramel or pale malt.

EDIT - I was a judge in the 20th Garden City Brewfest and this won the IPA category handily. I also had a dry-hopped version on cask at the brewery a month ago and it was similarly incredible. I wish this were bottled so I could send it out and get the word around about it.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

4th Brewery on Toby and Brenda's Big Montana Beer Adventure... We hit Blackfoot River about 10 minutes after they opened.

Poured into a standard pint while I talked shit about SmellySell for not hooking up with me while I was in Helena :-)

Very pretty sorta thick looking hazy honey golden orange brew.. good head and nice lace and cap for the entire glass..

The aroma is very fresh smelling... I love it already.. Very Citrusy with about as much balanced pale maltiness..

Flavor is oooohhh soo fresh... great crisp bitterness followed by pronounced pale malts that push forward the citric hops.. lite graininess.. with the citrus finish with a slight fruity hoppy element.. pineapple?.. simcoe?.. amarillo?... I should have asked, but this is a great IPA that I could go rounds with until it caught up with me... My only complaint would be the finish seems to die off really fast.

What amazes me about Montana Breweries is that they all seem to have taprooms... You can only legally have 48 oz's of beer per day at any taproom.. This encourages people to come in.. have a beer or 3... and inevitably they leave with growlers. Just in the 45 minutes or so that we were there, we saw at least a dozen people come in and just get their jugs filled... Young men and women... tourists.. but what was most amazing was the number of Elderly women who came in and talked beer with the pretty ladies behind the bar... This would NEVER happen with this frequency in Idaho and I make no inference that I have ANY idea about the complicated workings between MT breweries/brewpubs and the liquor board .. but I swear.. Montana has waaay more breweries/brewpubs than anybody outside of their state would expect.. and judging by the professionals I spoke with, they are okay with that... The laws may seem archaic to me/us, but they work and to an outsider, they are making more people drink better beer.

Edit: Justin... You suck :-) Next time amigo.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed at Top Hat in Missoula. Nice IPA, great balance and nice hop finish. Cant wait to try this one again.

Single Malt IPA from Blackfoot River Brewing Company