Single Malt IPA | Blackfoot River Brewing Company

Blackfoot River Brewing Company
Montana, United States
blackfootriverbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Just like Single Malt Scotch, our Singlemalt I.P.A. is brewed from 100% Crisp Maris Otter floor-malted barley - no specialty malts, no blending. This is our interpretation of the American/NorthWest India Pale Ale style. Singlemalt I.P.A. is generously hopped with Northwest-grown Simcoe and Cascade hops. This is our best-selling and most-beloved beer and is golden in color, with a medium-bodied malty backbone and full of hop flavor.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 07-15-2009

Liked:
4.16/5
Alströms:

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Don't know where the 'single malt' comes into play, but here it goes anyway...

This beer appears a hazy light apricot hue, with one finger of soapy white head, which renders a thin ring of lace around the glass as it quickly fades away. It smells of grapefruit and orange hops, and caramel malt. The taste is sweet citrus, and bready caramel. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, and fairly creamy, and it finishes smooth, with a soft malt and hop play date.

A very drinkable IPA, almost cask-like, fresh, and quite enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.69/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Brewhouse Bar & Grille, Helena, MT. This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance was a semi-hazy orange color with a bar pour’s kind of slim white head. Stringy smooth lacing stuck and then slid adequately into the beer. The smell had a huge burst of grapefruit up front with a light caramel underneath but balanced out as it warmed. The taste copied the smell and lead to a sweet to bitter grapefruit aftertaste and a semi-dry finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was there and somewhat sharp but nothing overbearing. Good. Overall, I say this was a pretty good APA that I would have again.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Had a glass at the brewery. It's funny, the Cascade hops almost feel British for the spicy edge. But the beer is clean and richly flavors with peppery citrus rind. And frankly, as newer IPAs move toward more tropical and juicy flavors, this is a wonderful change of pace. It's expertly made and quite satisfying. Get yourself a pint.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Cloudy medium yellow/orange with a small layer of white head

S - Citrus, pine and a fairly big malt sweetness.

T - Pine, grapefruit and a good bitterness from the hops is met with a fairly big caramel malt backbone that adds sweetness and balance. Fairly balanced overall.

M - Medium body. Lightcarbonation

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

4th Brewery on Toby and Brenda's Big Montana Beer Adventure... We hit Blackfoot River about 10 minutes after they opened.

Poured into a standard pint while I talked shit about SmellySell for not hooking up with me while I was in Helena :-)

Very pretty sorta thick looking hazy honey golden orange brew.. good head and nice lace and cap for the entire glass..

The aroma is very fresh smelling... I love it already.. Very Citrusy with about as much balanced pale maltiness..

Flavor is oooohhh soo fresh... great crisp bitterness followed by pronounced pale malts that push forward the citric hops.. lite graininess.. with the citrus finish with a slight fruity hoppy element.. pineapple?.. simcoe?.. amarillo?... I should have asked, but this is a great IPA that I could go rounds with until it caught up with me... My only complaint would be the finish seems to die off really fast.

What amazes me about Montana Breweries is that they all seem to have taprooms... You can only legally have 48 oz's of beer per day at any taproom.. This encourages people to come in.. have a beer or 3... and inevitably they leave with growlers. Just in the 45 minutes or so that we were there, we saw at least a dozen people come in and just get their jugs filled... Young men and women... tourists.. but what was most amazing was the number of Elderly women who came in and talked beer with the pretty ladies behind the bar... This would NEVER happen with this frequency in Idaho and I make no inference that I have ANY idea about the complicated workings between MT breweries/brewpubs and the liquor board .. but I swear.. Montana has waaay more breweries/brewpubs than anybody outside of their state would expect.. and judging by the professionals I spoke with, they are okay with that... The laws may seem archaic to me/us, but they work and to an outsider, they are making more people drink better beer.

Edit: Justin... You suck :-) Next time amigo.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

On-tap at Taco del Sol in Helena. Enjoyed 14 June 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours hazy yellow-orange. Brought with no head, but leaves nice lacing.

Smell is herbal, wheaty, with a little shot of citrus zest. The malts feel clean and fresh. The hops are primarily grassy and herbal, but do provide that light citrus burst.

Taste is smooth and clean, mellow with perfect malt/hop balance. Has a really nice grainy sweetness - quite tasty and drinkable. Again, the hops are mostly grassy, but do add just the right amount of bitterness. They're just strong enough to add some sizzle to the beer.

Mouthfeel is the low point. Medium-bodied, a little flat, pretty watery, and lacking any of the resiny stickiness I like IPAs to have. Finish is especially watery, without the lasting bitterness that most IPAs have.

Tasty stuff. A mellow, balanced IPA. No flavors that really pop out, it just feels good. None of the characteristics are especially impressive, but the beer just ends up tasting really good. It drinks like a session IPA, really smooth, despite the ABV. Everything is clean. So many IPAs have little off flavors at the edges, and this has none of those. Another thing I really like it is how the bitterness is present, and obvious, but restrained. I wonder, though, if it might be better without the hop presence, as the malt is showcased really well - mellow, smooth, and clean (kinda wheaty/grainy).

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Blackfoot’s best-selling beer for awhile now (although Steamboat was arguably the better beer).

A:Cloudy straw yellow with a soft white head.
S: Fresh hops soft peachy, grassy, with some bready malt underneath.
T: Same as aroma, mild grassy/fruity hops ( somewhat peachy/tropical) . Plenty of bready malt contributing balance and a bit of sweetness. Maltiness is really apparent on the back end. Finishes with a mild lingering bitterness.
M: Medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation. Extremely soft mouthfeel for the style.

This is a nice, nuanced beer, but I’ve always preferred the punchier Tumbleweed as far as MT IPAs go.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

I had this as my first pint at Blackfoot River this afternoon, and subsequently decided to get a growler of it before I left.

Appearance: Single Malt IPA pours a hazy golden color with half a finger of pure white head. Retention is pretty nice and a decent amount of lacing clings to the glass.

Smell: I definitely get some malts up front, but then a decent amount of citrus and dank hops. Pretty good.

Taste: Fairly malty up front, with a nice amount of citrus and tropical fruitiness in middle. A good amount of dank hops on the back end. Finish is pretty juicy and sticky without a lot of lingering bitterness. I think this IPA does a pretty good job of being flavorful without having an overly bitter characteristic. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The mouthfeel is the highlight of this beer for me. Just under medium bodied with phenomenal fine carbonation. Overall, a very nice IPA that I really wish I had full time access to. Great brew by Blackfoot River, and hands down the best regular IPA brewed in the state of Montana that I've experienced to date.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured into a 4oz sampling glass at a brewfest (this review is from notes written on a napkin):

A: Very nice, orange/copper color, with a thick head that lasted and laced decently.

S: Very different and interesting. Definitely picked up on citrus (grapefruit/pineapple/mango), but also picked on on oakiness, vanilla, and dare I say, whiskey. The person pouring the glass was a dopey distributor, not a brewery employee, which was regrettable, since I really want to ask a bunch of questions about this brew (e.g. "Single malt?" Did you use sherry casks from overseas, or oak?", etc.). Couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: Ditto the aroma. Not a very hoppy ipa, nor a very citrusy ipa, but a nicely-balanced ipa, with a certain oaky creaminess and smooth aftertaste that has hints of whisky. Would love to sample more of this.

M: Nice, full-bodied and creamy, with very subtle carbonation.

D: Don't know how sessionable a whisky-flavored beer is, but am willing to experiment ;-)

Well done.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

On tap at Brooks & Brown last night when we won trivia night. From notes.

This pours a hazy gold with a one finger offwhite head that leaves some sticky but not chunky lace on the way down. On the nose there is obvious citric notes, mostly orange and grapefruits rinds, but there is also a malt backbone that is at the same time substantial and unobtrusive. In the mouth there are citrus rinds and a pleasant, unusual grassy note. I like my IPAs on the dry side but this does a great job of integrating a bready note underneath the citric bitterness. The body is medium with a long bitter finish, not overwhelming.

Overall, I go back and forth between this and Draught Works Scepter Head IPA being the best in state IPA. It's great to have both available. Well worth seeking out. This is certainly the less bitter of the two, but the balance here is pretty admirable in the fact that the backbone is different than standard caramel or pale malt.

EDIT - I was a judge in the 20th Garden City Brewfest and this won the IPA category handily. I also had a dry-hopped version on cask at the brewery a month ago and it was similarly incredible. I wish this were bottled so I could send it out and get the word around about it.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%