Firefly | Odd Side Ales

FireflyFirefly

Odd Side Ales
oddsideales.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spike with pain.

Added by ygtbsm94 on 10-24-2013

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours moderately cloudy golden amber color with a small dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big papaya, peach, mango, orange zest, lemon zest, pineapple, honey, bread, floral, grass, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good complexity and balance of fruit, hop, and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of papaya, mango, peach, lemon zest, honey, bread, floral, pepper, and floral earthiness. Fair amount of pepper heat/spice on the finish; with lingering notes of papaya, mango, peach, lemon zest, honey, bread, pepper, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good balance and complexity of papaya, pepper, hop, and malt flavors; with a great malt/spice balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. A little lacking in flavor robustness. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good spiced pale ale. Good balance and complexity of papaya, pepper, hop, and malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks Maggie for the share. 12oz into a snifter. Appears copper in color with white head and spotty lace. Some yeast particulate finds its way into the glass. Aroma is fruity and enjoyable with sone tropics and caramel malt backbone. Taste is quite fruity and tropical feeling before a strong pepper warmth comes into play and really warms the back of the throat and fills out the aftertaste. This is medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Overall a solid pepper brew, I enjoyed the fruity front of this with pleasant heat across the finish. I dont think I could enjoy a bottle or more of this myself but shared was a treat.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Firefly last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer ever since I heard that it was being bottled, I don't think I've ever had a beer with Papaya in it before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This beer has a good looking label, I like it and it goes well with the name of the beer. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and bready aromas with a light doughy yeast aroma in the background. Up next comes nice fruity aroma with the papaya being pretty noticeable and it's mixed with a light creamy aroma that reminds me of some fruity yogurt. Towards the end comes a light hoppy aroma with no single hop aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's no noticeable hot pepper aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that really showcased those fruity papaya aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but lighter and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart a grainy, bready, and pale malt like flavors with some doughy yeast flavors in the background. Up next comes the papaya which is on the lighter side and there's also some other fruity flavors in the background. On the finish comes some hops which impart a grassy and earthy hop flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness with some habanero coming through imparting a warm and slight burning sensation in the back of my throat that builds a little over time and it's more apparent when the beer warms up a little and it had a pale malt, spicy, and light fruity aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the papaya showed up a little more.

M- Somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, lingering spicyness, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and I thought it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a pretty decent example of a the style, but I thought some more fruity and papaya flavors would make it more fruit beer like and as it stands with the lingering burning in the back of my throat I think this beer would fit well in the pepper beer category. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was somewhat smooth, clean, crisp, not filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the lingering spicyness would prevent me from drinking more than one, I could see it wearing on me if I decided to drink a couple of these in a row. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least the least about this beer was the lightness of the papaya and the how long the heat from the pepper lingered, I think this beer would be better if those two aspects were balanced out. I might buy a bottle of this again, but I wouldn't get a four pack and this isn't the type of beer that I would casually drink. I would recommend this beer to anyone that can handle spicier beers. All in I thought this was a nice beer and I'm happy have a chance to try it, I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but it wasn't a bad beer by any means, it just isn't that type of beer that I would drink often and I think Mayan Mocha Stout has a better heat level to it. I would put this beer on the same level as Me So Hoppy To Wheat You and it's one of my least favorite beers that they have bottled so far. I appreciate the effort but I think with a little worth this could be a pretty good beer.

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

3.79/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-light amber color with a decent white headland good lacing

S-malt, fruit, spice, light pine, slight herbal

T-bready malt, fruit, pine, light citrus, spicy pepper, moderate bitter finish

F1medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and a little hot

O-interesting APA, good balance between fruit and spice

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 FL OZ. bottle
Served in a pokal

L - It is amber in color with golden highlights. It has an inch of beige head that leaves some lacing.

S - It has a tropical and citrus fruit smell. I get a hint of the pepper.

T - The taste is loaded with tropical fruit up front. That morphs into some citrus with a grapefruit taste. The finish has a spike of heat. The pepper is just enough to let you know that it is there with no lingering burn or buildup of heat.

M - Medium

O - I hated the first one I poured a few days ago, but that was after several beers that night. This is my first taste of the day, and I have to admit that it is pretty good. The papaya gives it an IPA-like taste. So, to me, this beer tastes like a habanero IPA. The heat is not imposing and makes a nice addition to this beer.

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

$2.49 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. "Pale ale fermented with papaya and habaneros provide an ideal mixture of pleasure spiked with pain". No specs per the bottle or website. Pours out to a brilliantly clear burnt orange, forming a small head with poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate, about 2.5 carbs or so. The nose is fantastic...fresh juicy papaya sitting on top of crystal malt sweetness and some nice fruity yeast esters, with some subtle notes suggesting something better to come. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft with a medium body. Very crisp and clean. The taste is fantastic...a recap of the aroma well balanced with a mild to moderate bitterness and some mild, but noticeable, and pleasant heat that gradually develops after you swallow. Has classic yeast esters of WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. Goes down very easy. No appreciable off flavors or aromas, although this one definitely gives me heartburn. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this myself, due to the heartburn, but if you like a bit of heat, you should definitely try it. I haven't had a beer quite like this before.

Firefly from Odd Side Ales