El Dankerino | Odd Side Ales

Added by BrewtalHonesty on 05-18-2014

Reviews by JamesShoemaker:
4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, MFG date of 7/21/2014. Okay, this won't factor into my score in any way, but I really hate the name of this beer and the label, so much so, I'm afraid to say, that I almost didn't buy it. But from the brewery that does hops so well (not barrel aging, unfortunately), I overcame my aesthetic predilections. Okay, enough douchebaggery.

I love the way this beer looks coming out of the bottle, straw yellow with a brownish tinge, making it look like a liquid pineapple lifesaver. It settles much darker in the glass, almost the same hue as Bigfoot, which I guess it appropriate given their similar alcohol content. Despite the shade, it's semi-translucent with a lot of carbonation bubbles, lightening on the periphery. There's a decent amount of head on the forced pour, maybe a finger and a half, receding quickly and leaving some nice lacing on the surface and up the sides of the glass.

There's a really nice nose here, some light tropical fruit, bananas, mango, pineapple, and some of the more acidic fruits even make an appearance, lemons, limes, and oranges. Really all I get on the nose is hops, though I guess the density of the aroma would be caused by malts. It's very sweet, in taste too, but it's evident beforehand.

There's quite a bit of balance in the taste, which is surprising given the high alcohol content, the overwhelming hop profile in the scent, and the fact that this is an OddSide beer. Don't get me wrong, I like OddSide, but balance isn't the word I would use to describe their beers. Hops fade into the background here. There's a lot of malty sweetness, transitioning into bitterness, but the hops still play a key role in balancing all of this out.

Again, the balance is key in the mouthfeel. Keep in mind that "balance" is a relative term, because at 10% this is still a heavy hitter, packing more malt than hops in the taste. There's some bitterness that lingers at the end, but it's negligible.

I would absolutely get this beer again. There are very few IPAs that I enjoy that cross the 8% threshold, but I'm happy to count El Dankerino (ugh) as one of them. The smell was the highlight, but the taste was also good. Nothing offensive about this one, just another example of a good Michigan interpretation of a classic West Coast style.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Its Big , Danky, Stanky, Sticky, No 10 percent abv taste whats so ever dude. I had no Idea they were 10 % percent mind you. Its been a long day at work and I might come back to do a more in depth review at a later time , I will say this, they are very west coast tasting. Very duuude! If you like say the Stone enjoy by 2/14/14 as many of my wbaydn family did this is almost a clone I think if not better.As it warms you get that huge dank flavor and the sweetness from the malt. If ya see it , ya better buy it. I don't see these sitting on the shelf long Dude. Fucking A.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Gold to light copper in color. Hazy complexion. There's a fingernail of off white around the rim and half of the middle. Moderate lacing. I smell citrus and overripe grapefruit. I taste overripe grapefruit and an otherwise citrus forward IPA. The mouth is aicidic, dry, and crisp.

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Solid dipa, not overly bitter, well balanced taste, complex hoop aroma

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%