Hipster Brunch Stout

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Hipster Brunch StoutHipster Brunch Stout
Notes: It's morning somewhere! This delectable stout has been aged in bourbon barrels with coffee, maple syrup, and bacon!
Reviews: 145 | Ratings: 867
4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My fourth entry in/of New Tying Up Loose Ends Beer Sunday (Week 759) loops us back to Week 750! M'man @Jimmy_Kneecaps was the impetus then & remains my CANspiration now. I ran through a LOT of Odd Side Ales' beers that day & since then I have scored a few more, as well as finding some in the backlog, to stay CANrent with The CANQuest (tm). This one, however, came in a Bottle (Yahhh!).

From the Bottle: "Stout brewed with Maple Syrup, aged in Bourbon Barrels with Coffee and Bacon added".

I was cowed by all of the things seemingly going on in/with this one, but I was determined to press on. In order to do so, I had to Pop! off the cap. How do I do that? It has been SO long since I had to deal with a pesky Bottle that my memory, including muscle memory, is gone! Samurai katana? No. Teeth? NO! Hammer & chisel? No. Hmm. Bottle opener? Is that what that dusty relic is?!? And a coin to keep the cap from getting bent! Aha. It was starting to come back to me.

Once I had this exceedingly difficult task behind me, it was time for a slow, gentle C-Line pour. It was defiant of my wishes & came barreling out to create both a pseudo-cascade & two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head that slowly settled into an impenetrable cap of foam. 8=O Color was utterly Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), sucking all of the light out of my kitchen like a black hole! Or was it that I had inadvertently placed the light switch in the "OFF" position?!? Oof. It may be time for a nap following the completion of this review! 8=( Nose made me wonder if I had not subconsciously planned this horizontal all along. I had French Vanilla coffee, Hazelnut coffee & now, I was getting coffee, bacon, maple syrup & a side of bourbon! 8=O

I often think fondly of my time as a drunkard seaman in California & this was one of those times. If we came into port early on a Friday, I would head to The Jester Room for their Red Irish Workout Breakfast. That gem consisted of your choice of Irish whisky, a back of your choice of V-8 or tomato juice & watching workout shows on ESPN! An upgrade was this plus a takeaway/delivery breakfast from The Best Breakfast coffee shop up the street. If it was delivery (& it usually was), you had no choice - it was rashers of bacon, a couple/few of pancakes & a container of maple syrup. Bourbon for a slight upcharge at the bar. I cannot tell you how many times we pulled in, I got everything secured & I made a beeline on my way to my apartment, only to get sidetracked into The Jester Room on the way!

This smelled like one of those delivery breakfasts with the upgrade! Oh, great gahdang! By the time that I left SoCal to spend what would be my last tour of duty (unbeknownst to me at the time) on Diego Garcia, B.I.O.T., I had to be poured onto the plane. I willfully used that year to dry out & sober up, but once I was retired, I was back to drinking.

Still, I have NOT done that level of craziness … until now. I find myself back at The Jester Room, bourbon, coffee & tomato juice all in a line, my Styrofoam clamshell with the pancakes & rashers + a side of syrup in front of me & it is dahn the rabbit hole I go.

Mouthfeel was thick & creamy, jolting me back into the present. Phew! The taste held the missing ingredient - a Maduro cigar! Back then, smoking was still allowed in bars & I was heavily into stogies. A puff, a bite of pancake & rashers, a sip of Bourbon, rinse with tomato juice & repeat. No tomato juice here, but everything else! Cigar smoke commingled with coffee, bacon & Bourbon as I dip some pancake into maple syrup. Mmm. Jeez-O, man, how have I lived this long, doing this to myself? This is not meant for Hipsters, but for modern drunkards. Well, maybe those are Hipsters, but so many of them don't speak the lingo nor are they interested in learning & it makes me sad.

I was not saddened by the semi-dry finish of this one. It was a big beer, to be sure, but it was not really sweet in any sense nor did it achieve outright dryness. Instead, it was truly the sum of its parts. I tasted every adjunct + the barrel-aging & still managed to remain semi-coherent in so doing. Phew!

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a finger of khaki foam. Head retention is okay. Aroma is brown sugar, molasses, vanilla beans, maple syrup, bourbon, char and roasty and toasty malts. Really pleasant initial sweetness that slowly descends into light heat. Flavor profile is vanilla bean, maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses, bourbon and roasty and toasty malts. It remains sweet throughout, without ever becoming cloyingly or artificially sweet. Mouth feel is lightly sticky - like maple syrup - with a grainy effervescence that sweeps the stickiness off the tongue. Overall, lots going on here, but it's well controlled with lots of depth and nuance.

Served in a 15.5oz Spiegalau tulip from a 12oz bottle.

Maybe I was expecting more but this one just didn’t impress. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good beer but i didn’t get any bacon and without that, it is just another BBA stout. I will give the rye whiskey version when I get a chance but I won’t seek thing one out again.

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wine glass. Nice looking beer with a medium creamy tan head that hung around longer than I expected. Aroma was rich with maple, coffee, chocolate, and faint whiskey. Taste followed closely. Very chocolatey at first, giving way to maple and coffee. The whiskey was there primarily at the finish. I didn’t pick up any overt bacon but it was perhaps slightly salty. Overall just a delicious and complex beer.

4.61/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a deep dark brown with a thin mocha cap that falls away quickly but leaves great legs when swirled. Aroma is dark rich roasted malts and cocoa. Flavor is wonderful sweet cocoa, all the roasted malts and coffee with only a hint of the bourbon barrel. I don't pick up any bacon (which is fine by me). The feel is thick and rich. Overall a tremendous beer that I hope I can find more of.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is pitch black and oily with very minimal dark khaki colored head which recedes immediately to form a thin ring with a dense island in the middle. The aroma is ever so inviting, rich maple, bitter chocolate, some coffee, and some smokey baconesque scents to round it out. The maple is not as prevalent in the taste as the nose but does play a role in the sweetness. Some chocolate, mocha, and some smokiness also come in to play. The bitterness of the mocha and chocolate balance out the sweetness of the maple well, however the overall balance swings more to the sweet side. Mouthfeel is fuller than medium, oily, slick, and somewhat drying on the finish. Overall this is an excellent beer, it just feels like it doesn’t come together like it should or like I want it to. Instead of each flavor being distinct, they kind of muddle together and leave you wishing. However I really like the sweet maple presence in this beer and it begins to take over as it warms.

4.04/5  rDev -7.8%

Gimmicky breakfast stouts aren't typically my thing, and this one is not an exception. It's well executed, hitting all the additive notes that it claims. But I've yet to encounter a maple stout that I really loved.

3.86/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black in color with no light penetration. There’s a fingernail of brown around the rim and covering three quarters of the top. Light lacing. There’s an intense aroma of dark, bitter roasted coffee, maple, and smoke. I’m tasting maple syrup, bourbon, salt, and coffee. The mouth is oily and chewy.

3.99/5  rDev -8.9%

May 2019 Review
Bottled date Nov 2017. Poured into a tulip glass.

Pour: still a thin head but a thick ring, clouds and much more lacing; a little surprising given the extra age on the bottle. Pretty attractive this time.

Nose and Taste: pretty similar but I got a distinct cola taste along with everything else.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated even after 18 months. Not real viscous but substantial enough.

Overall: I’m liking it much better the second time around. Looks much better, tastes at least as good. Would definitely buy again.

Original Review (Dec 2017?)
Pours dark, deep brown. Almost no head with a thin collar that leaves a few bubbles on the glass as it’s drunk. Ok but underwhelming.

Nose is coffee, maple and what must be the bacon. It’s enticing with the maple coming through more as it warms. I didn’t get a lot of booze but maybe my bacon is actually booze?

Flavor is sweet maple upfront, with dark bitter chocolate, coffee, and salt from the bacon. Bourbon isn’t really strong but, like the nose, maybe it’s wrapped into the bacon. Something leaves an aftertaste for me, maybe the bacon, along with some sweetness. Can’t say I love it.
Smooth, rich mouthfeel with very slight carbonation. Not chewy but definite fullness.
Overall, it’s an interesting beer but somewhat disappointing relative to expectations. Recent tastings of Black Note and CBS are much better. I have a bottle aging, will be interesting to see how that fares.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Pours obsidian with a khaki head that rises to a finger and rests as a film; squiggly patterns of lacing emerge

Smell: Strong maple syrup aromatics, backed up by the roasted malts, the coffee and the Bourbon barrel; some bacon in there too or my sniffer may have been tricked

Taste: The maple syrup and the bacon (more prominent on the palate) roll into the roasted chocolate tones; a strong sense of coffee emerges in the mid-palate, with the Bourbon taking over the rear; the aftertaste has a smoked bacon flavor that lingers

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: The taste doesn't quite live up to the aromatics as the smoked bacon aspect in the finish just doesn't taste right to me; the adjuncts do appear as advertised, however

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at The Knickerbocker in altoona pa Friday night. Apparently a fall offering, but no complaints about this fine beer still being available in May.

Solid black body in a nice looking small goblet. Small tan head which slowly dissipates to nothing at all. Served WAY too cold, but that's on The Knickerbocker, not Odd Side.

Aroma of coffee and roasted malt. As I warmed the drink with my hands, some chocolate notes came into play.

Tasty brew Indeed. Lightly roasted malt and coffee at first, with medium barrel aging. As it warns though, the coffee and maple come into play.

Mouth closer to full than medium. Finish is a quite pleasant sweet chocolate coffee booze mix.

Overall, really nice imperial stout, would be happy to have this one again.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark black color with a tan/red head nice lacing on glass. Smell ic nice - fresh roasted coffee,wood, roasted malts some bacon/maple mixed with whiskey. Taste follows nose very nice on all additions maple comes out and mixes well with coffee. Mouth sweet/rich it creamy and woody. 12oz bottle was perfect this was not so decadent nor harsh just nicely done.

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Extremely dark brown, almost black, with a cafe colored head less than one finger deep in a tulip glass.
Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, maple syrup, and wood aromas.
Tastes like rich creamy chocolate, and bourbon, with touches of coffee, maple, vanilla, and char. Just a hint of Smokey bacon is present. The beer feels fantastically smooth and the abv is very well concealed beneath all the flavors. Overall delicious for any BA stout, even without focusing on all the added ingredients.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Delicious, luscious, flavorful imperial stout from a great local brewery. I’ve been searching for this beer for quite some time now. Looks amazing, pours a viscous, thick, almost syrupy deep dark black color with some nice mocha fluffy head and some spotting lingering lacing. Smells great, lots of maple, bourbon, oak, well-balanced malt, medium roast coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel and just a touch of smoky salted bacon. Taste follows the nose, and the flavors are so well-balanced and deep with good complexity. The aging in the maple barrels just imparts such a great sweet character to these types of beers - reminds me of Founders’ CBS, and that’s a very good thing. Smooth, sticky, rich mouthfeel with a good degree of creaminess. Just enough carbonation. The flavors definitely open up as the beer warms towards room temperature. The higher ABV was well hidden and the warming alcohol only hit as the beer warmed. Very dangerously easy to drink and worked well with both savory dinner and sweet dessert. It’s a shame there was a one-bottle limit at my local liquor store, as I will definitely be on the lookout for six packs of this.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful black body with a strong dark brown head. Good retention.

Bourbon is strong on the nose, along with notes of coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup. Overall a sweet aromatic profile, but with plenty of depth.

Flavor follows, with maple and bourbon blending with a big roasty malt base. Notes of vanilla, chocolate, and burnt coffee accompany. Bacon really does come through on the finish, along with some oak, coffee, and roast, for a complex and satisfying overall profile. The more you sip at this, the more the bitter coffee and bacon come out earlier. Not a ton of bourbon, with the blend being quite nice; either the adjuncts take over, or the barrel aging was noticeably less than a year.

Full bodied; sticky and creamy, not quite chewy. No heat up front, but some lingers on the back end.

Obviously this style of beer has become somewhat in vogue (hence the name, even). It's quite a ton of stuff to toss into a beer at once, and then give it the BBA treatment. That said, this works, maybe better than most. Some noteworthy comparisons (based on my distro, I'm going with the Funky Buddha analogs):

MBCP: Hipster has a fuller malt base and accompanying flavor. MBCP is thinner. Obviously Hipster is BBA. Other than that, very similar across the profile.
WAIM: Despite being closer in ABV, these two beers are still pretty far apart. WAIM is intensely sweet, something that is much more restrained here. Hipster also has more bacon.
Morning Wood: Probably the closest beer in comparison: similar ABV, same adjuncts, and both BBA. The bourbon in MW is more prominent, but they're similar in terms of sweetness. Again, Hipster has more bacon presence.

In closing: is this beer as good as, better than, or worse than, what Funky Buddha pioneered? I'll just go with different. OddSide does a better job bringing out the bacon flavor; FB leans more heavily on the maple, with the result being that those beers are sweeter, but overall perhaps just a touch more enjoyable. This is, nonetheless, a very, very tasty beer.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours an almost black with small tan head.
Smells of dark roasted malts, bourbob barrel, faint coffee and maple notes.
Taste is the same. Roasty malt and barrel are prevalent, coffee is faint, maple shows itself in the finish.
Medium to full bodied.

4.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful deep charred body that is a rich deep brown bordering on black. Modest but really pretty looking deep brown head settles in to small velvet before too long leaving a dusting over the middle and some shiny bubbles at the collar. Beautiful lacing.

Interesting ashy chocolate that is dry and sweet in turns. Maple is faint, but it's definitely there, as well as an almost cinnamon spice, but maybe that's the barrel. Faintly smokey that I could be convinced was an allusion to the bacon on the label. Coffee is subtle and mostly folded into the other flavours. The barreling seems to mostly round the edges and make everything that much smoother rather than jamming a bunch of alcohol astringincy into the proceedings.
As it warms there is a definite smokiness that's less the acrid smoke you usually see in beer, but definitely reminiscient of the smoky meaty character of frying bacon. Works really well here.

Flavour starts off with an almost nutty twang before settling into more what was anticipated: Sweet maple and chocolate to start off, and finishing with some bitter coffee beans and something that's somewhere between creamy and greasy (though I will plead guilty to the potential that that is born of suggestion based on the label listing bacon as an additive). Along the middle somewhere though there's... something I can't quite pin down that doesn't fit quite as well for me. Almost a sour grain suggestion. Not anywhere close to enough to turn me off of this beer, but still would prefer if it manifested a little differently.

Definitely pretty hot. Won't be mistaking this one for anything other than what it is. Body is a little thinner than I like as well. Fine carbonation that supports the rest of the beer nicely and a bitter finish that balances against the sweeter elements found earlier on.

Overall this is a fantastic beer, and one I am incredibly grateful to have received in @FlintB's incredibly generous collection of midwest goodness for NBS BIF#007. Thanks man!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into glass. Stamped on bottle under label is '01091734B10103'.
Black colored body with brown highlights. Three finger mocha brown head settles to cap and ring. Lacing webs abound.
Aroma of dark roasted malts, chocolate, maple and bacon.
Taste introduces the bourbon barrel and coffee, along with the malts, chocolate, and bacon (similar to the salty taste of pan fried bacon). Maple is faint.
Thick, mouth coating mouth feel. Decent carbonation.
A sweet, thick beer, but balanced and not cloyingly sweet. Bourbon barrel is evident but not overwhelming. Tasty overall. Very easy to drink. ABV is mostly hidden, but shows up a slight burn at the tail end of the taste profile.

I don't usually give out 5's across the board... But while drinking I thought there really isn't too much more I could want in a beer. A beautiful nose with a complex and deep palate its rich chocolate its coffee its maple and the bacon salt is just detectable. Really awesome beer and with a nice looking ABV I wouldn't mind drinking this beer every day. Cheers folks

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle into a snifter. Bottled 11/7/16, had 5/20/17.

Pours near black, opaque, thick and oily looking. Not much of a head and some spotty lacing. Aromas of malt, cocoa, coffee, milk chocolate, light maple and bacon. The taste is mostly similar to the aroma- malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, vanilla, coffee, light maple, a little bacon salt after the finish. Smooth, creamy, a solid medium to full body, well carbonated.

Not much bacon, less coffee than I expected, but great flavor and aroma. Very interesting. Worth a purchase if you can find it outside of Michigan, but you’ll pay like it’s really breakfast.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Coffee, maple and bourbon are all present but not overwhelming. They help create a balanced but subtle beer. The only thing I didn't get much was the bacon.

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle

Pours dark maroon black with a creamy brown foam head. Smells like rich dark chocolate, coffee, sweet bourbon, oak, vanilla, marshmallow cream, maple syrup, bacon, some dark fruit, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like a nice mix of rich dark chocolate, roasted coffee, sweet bourbon, oak, creamy vanilla, maple syrup, bacon, some dark fruit, with a balanced touch of hops. Feels medium bodied, creamy slick with moderate low smooth carbonation. Overall a really great bourbon barrel aged imperial stout with coffee, maple syrup and bacon.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black. Short, foamy, light brown had that Fades fast to a lasting of ring.

Smells maple syrup, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and light coffee.

Taste is sweet. cocoa, maple syrup, Bourbon and a hint of smoke. Followed by vanilla and light char. Finish is sweet with hints of chocolate and maple syrup linger. Full body and smooth lower carbonation.

Definitely a dessert beer

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 11/7/16; drank 1/24/17 @ the Yarchives. Black appearance. A rough pour yielded a nice, noisy dark khaki head; decent lace. Chocolate syrup, maple syrup, mild sweet cream & faint banana notes in the nose. Thick, sticky-yet-smooth mouthfeel. Chocolate syrup & maple syrup flavors up front; light roast coffee bean & mild banana notes on the finish. No booze heat. Sweet, to be sure, but a rich, enjoyable stout if it fits one's profile. It fits mine.

3.84/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottled on 11/13/17. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours almost black with a dark khaki head that falls leaving nice retention and and decent lacing. The aromas have hints of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and smoke. Lots of malts. Everything is balanced. The flavors follow the nose for the most part. Lots of chocolate. Maple syrup is definitely there along with some molasses. Hints of vanilla, caramel and coffee. The bacon is pretty mild, but noticeable at times. The bourbon comes through without dominating. Strong malt backbone. It's sweet, but not cloying or over the top. Mild warmth in the finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's smooth, but makes for a nice sipper despite not drinking like some huge beer. It's dangerously drinkable.

This is a nice brew. Everything is balanced, but it's still bold. I like it.

Hipster Brunch Stout from Odd Side Ales