Hipster Brunch Stout | Odd Side Ales

Odd Side Ales
oddsideales.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

It's morning somewhere! This delectable stout has been aged in bourbon barrels with coffee, maple syrup, and bacon!

Added by Fargrow on 10-06-2014

#387

Reviews by Mphis:
4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 11/18/14 Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours jet black, tiny amount of light coming through on edges, small ring of medium brown head.

S- Lots of chocolate, coffee, dried cherry, vanilla, little bit of the maple, tiny bit of the alcohol comes through but nothing too overpowering.

T- Similar to aroma, big dark chocolate, coffee, some dried dark fruits, good amount of vanilla, bit of maple sweetness, not really getting any bacon though. Alcohol is hidden pretty well.

M- A really oily mouthfeel, really helps the beer stay on the palette.

O- This, along with Imperial Bourbon Mayan Mocha, are the best OddSide beers I've had yet. They really nailed the base stout here. I think maybe a little more time in the barrel and up the bacon or take it out and this beer would be even better. Really nice to have breweries in Michigan like OddSide, Kuhnhenn, Short's, etc. that aren't afraid to experiment.

Side note: If you want to find something very similar tasting to Founders CBS, get some of this. It's not as complex and the bourbon is more muted but it after I had CBS and then this again I was surprised how close they actually were.

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

It's like Cambridge up in this bitch. Light bourbon flavors. Hints of coffee and some smoke. Lots of vanilla, cocoa and some maple syrup. Getting some cherry skin and a twang. Heavily carbed. I don't know, I expected this to be way better. Infected or I just don't like beer?

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, fantastic stout & enjoy being able to easily get this while everybody chases BCS/KBS/CBS

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 review - (had today and is excellent! Had to adjust my review.

2014 review - (4.71 overall) Had this on draft and it was amazing. Hope that Oddside Ales makes this again in 2015 in bottles. Very similar to founders CBS in my opinion.

4.76/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2015 - draft.

This beer really hit on all the right notes for me. There are two in particular I want to point out for others interested.

The mouthfeel is superb. Thick and totally creamy.
The 2nd was the taste. It isn't often that I am able to get the smorgasbord of flavors we so often see in beer reviews and not have one of them totally dominate the beer. To be able to keep the balance, and not be too sweet (like BCBS is sometimes), really hit a home run for me.

Odd Side releases bottles at the brewery in 4 days. Make sure you get some!

3.75/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hipster Brunch pours a deep, ink black color with a thin chocolate brown head.

Aromas first of woody bourbon barrel, following with hot fudge, dry cocoa, cinnamon, and just a hint of maple. As it warms up I get a lot more syrup. And the more it warms, the louder it gets.

Flavor hits with lots of syrupy bourbon barrel first, tons of booze, cinnamon, then chocolate and maple, finishing with some odd smokey meat notes, which I interpret as the bacon. It's at this point here that I am now aware I'm not a fan of breakfast meat in my stouts. It is fairly well executed though, no doubt about it. More booze floats into the finishing touch.

Feel is smooth and slick, not exactly creamy but smooth nonetheless.

Overall, not the grand slam I thought it'd be. Getting a lot of sour cherry and apple shit going on. However, it's worth seeking out at least once.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black as night with a finger of a mocha head.

Aroma is of vanilla, marshmallow, maple, carmel, oak, bourbon, coffee, light milk chocolate, and roasted malt. Breakfast and dessert all at the same time.

Taste follows the aroma quite well. Tons of sweet vanilla, marshmallow, carmel, and bourbon up front. More of the same mid-palate, along with more intense bourbon, a good amount of coffee, and some light smoke (I guess this would be the bacon). Finish brings more of the same with emphasis on the barrel (oak, bourbon) and more of those sweet qualities (maple, carmel, and vanilla).

Medium body. Smoothly carbonated and creamy, with a sticky and oily finish.

This is a very well-executed adjunct ba stout. The barrel is there and provides a nice complexity alongside the sweet characteristics of vanilla, maple, and carmel. This is no doubt a breakfast stout, but with a dessert-like quality. Well done!

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome feel and texture. Chewy-like and you can clearly taste the syrup and coffee influence. Bacon influence? subtle at best but IMO not enough to detract from this being a great beer by Odd Side.

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a CCB snifter

Expectations were high for this one! Looks like a liquid chocolate brownie as it pours, with a slight mocha head that reduces to a thin wispy layer as quickly as it formed. What a nose, rich, dark chocolate, already-sweetened coffee, maple syrup, and a hint of smoke. Upon first taste, semi-sweet chocolate assaults the tongue, followed quickly by loads of dark roasted coffee, and just as your taste buds begin to process everything, a wallop of smoky heat & savory maple syrup complete your "meal." Literally tastes like chocolate chip pancakes smothered in syrup with a side of bacon and coffee, black, 2 sugars. Yes please. Perfect feel to this guy and I suspect the only way you'd know it was 9+% is if you drank 3 or more of them. What an awesome beer.

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle, dated 11/19/14. Served in a snifter 12/22/14.

A- Pours with a very dark brown body, appearing fairly viscous as it pours. In the right lighting, it looks pitch black. Nice half finger mocha head, average retention and longevity as evidenced by a thin brown collar. No lacing.

S- Pancakes. Rich maple syrup aromas tempered with a nice black coffee aroma. These are the predominant flavours. Moderate chocolate milk aroma. There is also a moderate bourbon presence, as evidenced by a mild oaky, slightly smoky sweetness, but there isn't really any amount of bacon/smoke/salt here. Smells excellent.

F- Not quite as good as it smells, but quite good. Initially starts with a milk chocolate sweetness and light roast black coffee flavours, transitioning to a moderate but quite rich maple syrup sweetness mixed in with clean bourbon flavours- that smoky, oaky sweetness that is distinctly bourbon- such that the maple syrup flavours are a bit muted in comparison. On the finish is a sticky, slightly salty and savory flavour. I can't decide if it is bacon or not as the maple syrup and bourbon are still carrying through to the end.

M- Medium-thick bodied, nice and sticky like actual maple syrup. Seriously, this is quite sticky which is consistent with my previous experiences drinking beers where the maple syrup is a strong presence. Finish is primarily slight maple syrup sweetness and moderate bourbon flavours with a mild amount of heat, accompanied by a mild salt/savoriness.

O- With all of the adjuncts that have gone into this beer, it's a surprise that this beer isn't all over the place or a mess. The bourbon barrels contribute a strong, but not completely overwhelming flavour here like say, BCBS. The maple syrup is definitely there (most of all in the aroma), but on the palate I think it is a bit overshadowed by the bourbon, but that depends on what you (as a drinker) are looking for. This is a very good stout with a lot of complexity from the adjuncts that is done very well but isn't the best in its category.

Final score: 4.30

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to beerisheaven for picking this off my wants list – it sounds like the Jim Thome of trading might finally be nearing retirement, which is a sad day for traders round the world. 12 oz. bottle now tipped on its side to capture that last tiny droplet.

The pour is moonless night black with a head that looks like my sister’s eleven-year old finger-in-the-socket perm. The nose smells like my kitchen on a Sunday morning: coffee, maple syrup, sweetness. All that’s missing is the pungent aroma of unwashed teenagers.

Hipster Brunch, in quantity, could lure me into some skinny jeans. Lovely, genuine maple syrup is up front with a hefty fistful of bourbon kicking out alcohol heat, vanilla, &, ah, bourbon. Big sugary malts. Coffee eases up & prevents the concoction from veering into over-sweetness. Then chocolate. No bacon. Big & creamy; you don’t need to add Coffee-Mate to this one. I’m not sure how many of these I could drink, but I’d like to conduct that experiment.

This is a poor man’s Morning Delight, which translates to: I am sad this is my only bottle. Big, bold, delicious, beautifully integrated, this is an excellent beer that’s nipping at the heels of transcendent. A 'wow' beer all the way.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from trade. Pours deep dark pitch black and thick looking with a half finger of creamy mocha brown head. Really nice aroma of maple, vanilla bourbon, roast, smoke, charred oak, chocolate, coffee. Lots going on here. Flavor is both sweet and bitter all at once with massive roast notes alongside sweet chocolate maple bourbon, and some coffee to boot. The bacon doesn't shine through but there seems to be a light smokey flavor that I'll assume comes from it. Really nice. Rich creamy body, thick, medium carbonation. Oddside did something nice with this one.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This stout ranks among the best. The smell as it warms is amazing! If you can get some, you should do it!

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

The flavors on this are all there, although the bacon flavor is covered up by the stronger flavors of coffee, chocolate and maple. There is a light persistent smokiness that lingers on the tongue and the saltiness from the bacon is present on the palate.

The carbonation is medium and the mouthfeel is slick like oil.

Overall this is a super well balanced beer that has a ton of complex flavors. I love it...

3.36/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A deep, dark black color with a decent head retention.
Taste is roasted, with slight notes of maple syrup. I don't notice the bacon as much as I would like to, or the maple for that matter, but it is faintly present in some sips. A touch of smoke is present, as well as coffee.
I'm not getting much bacon, and I don't notice much bourbon either. Something tart (I believe from a specific roasted malt they use) is apparent near the finish.

Although this is a good stout, I believe it to be a vastly overrated one.

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Honestly, I think this beats out CBS for the best barrel aged maple stout in MI. Probably my favorite stout in that category ever. The only subtle thing about this beer to me is the coffee. I get a little up front but more sweetness from the maple and the bacon flavors from finish strong.

I love reading other reviews on this and seeing how different people's pallets respond. This is one beer you must seek out. It's gonna blow up like crazy.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.98/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer really is amazing. It's one of the few beers that blows me away every time I have it. It's smooth, chocolaty, a bit boozy, with just the right amounts of smoke & maple. I highly recommend.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

3.47/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This sounds amazing, what's not to love about maple syrup and bacon in a bourbon barrel aged stout. For me the flavors just weren't there, maybe to much going on. I got very little maple and only a hint of smokey bacon. Mouthfeel was good.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After much anticipation, I tracked down a couple of bottles and got right to it that night. I saw that the beer had maple syrup, coffee, bacon and aged in bourbon barrels... what??!!

I was lucky enough to get a bunch of morningwood stout so I was expecting big things with this one.

First Impressions: This smells just like Morningwood! This tastes just like Morningwood!... but just not as good?

Seriously, I taste no bacon and very, very little maple syrup but I do taste an aftertaste/bitterness from something, I would guess it is the 'flavorings'? This isn't a bad stout at all but it's just not better than Morningwood in my opinion, which isn't trying to be too many things at once.

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hipster Brunch Stout from Odd Side Ales