Snozzberries

3.48 | pDev: 10.63%
From:
Odd Side Ales

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
SnozzberriesSnozzberries
Notes:
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 62
3.66/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

OddSide Snozberries.

Second and last OddSide beer of the night. They do me pretty well most if the time but they certainly have some misses as well. This was a random buy from a random store downriver that I stopped into while getting gas and some beef jerky, finishing an up north haul for a friend. The random usually end up doing me pretty me, but we shall see.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. This brew comes out a deep amber, but doesn't have the same...in your face level that other ipa beers have. The head amounts to a massive two and a half fingers of light pink mixed with some off white for head measure. Starts leaving immediate stick. Carbonation appears to be quite mild.

Smell - Not sure if this bottle is old since I don't see a date, but all I'm really picking up on the nose is some überhoch levels of melon. No noticeable cherry until the beer is headed down the gullet and you take a large whiff whilst drinking.

Taste - I mean...it is likely old. And it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that this is a very smooth, low malt and highly melon forward beer with just touches of cherry lingering around the edges for a nice effect. At this point I'm not understanding the super low ratings for this one.

Feel - The body is even pretty Damon nice. Exceptionally full with a moderate to lower level of high amount of carbonation.letting it sit allows more subtle cherry sweetness alongside the melon I mentioned in all the other aspects. Swallows easily and takes on an almost sweet tart like flavoring.

Overall - Yeah I don't get the super low ratings at all. Haven't you guys even eaten sweet tarts when you were kids? I don't get the aspiring whatever most are getting. Not exactly a cherry bomb as promised, but over all a nice addition to your six pack as a session brew with high levels of melon and a nice, though subtle cherry sweet tart background. It isn't a sour, and it wasn't meant to be.

3.32/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle to glass. Produces a couple fingers creamy, off-white and rocky head that settles with little lacing. Ale is ruby in color and clear as a buttonhook in the well water. Taste is tart and sour cherries and has a coppery aroma. The aftertaste has a dry feel and tastes, like powdered pills of aspirin.

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours into a standard pint kind of a reddish auburn color with a very thin head,when not held to the light it has a pinkish hue look to it.Some sour cherry standing out in the nose with slight toast,not much hop presence to be found.A thin to near watery feel in the back end,not overly impressed there.With the thinner feel it has a slightly "pop" element to it,mild sour cherries and toasted cereal grains are the only real flavor components.Kinda sorry I went outta my way to by this,need to check reviews more often I think.

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I saw this beer and had to have it ... not just because it's an Odd Side beer, but because Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was my favorite book as a kid, and is one of my favorite "for kids" movies. Poured this into a shaker pint, since nothing else was clean. Bottled 8/20, poured 9/29.

Appearance: Was NOT expecting that color -- a vibrant red color with a finger of a creamy and soapy pink head. There is a significant haze to it as well. Patchy lacing up and down the glass. The beer looks great, nice start.

Smell: Doesn't quite match the appearance. I was expecting a cherry (which evidently is what Snozzberries really are, according to Odd Side) bomb, but I get cherry along with a definite Belgian yeast quality with a slight trunk funk and a some banana-y esters. Snozzberries smells a bit hoppy, but mixed with the fruit and yeast, "Witbier IPA" wouldn't be my first guess as to this style... maybe just a Belgian yeastified fruit beer.

Taste/feel: As others in their reviews have said, strange, and not in the best way. There is definitely a weird clash between hop bitterness and tart cherries, and it gives off a medicinal bitterness (NOT medicinal flavor though). Comes in with the cherry, but also a -- I believe -- malt that I've had in some beers and just don't care for. I don't even know how to describe it. I like to say plasticky, but it's not plasticky. Whatever it is, I don't like it much. That flavor fades into a more pleasant biscuity malt quality while the cherry carries through to the finish. The hops aren't very prevalent to me in this beer, and they only come up at the end, where the hop bitterness, like I said, hits with the tart cherry and makes for a not-so-pleasant taste. The mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied with a moderately high prickly carbonation, but at the same time, I feel like it makes that strange tart/bitter/sweet thing more obvious.

A few test batches would have done Snozzberries well. It is most definitely an interesting beer that has some good things going for it, but I find myself going back for another sip because I want to get the aftertaste out of my mouth more than anything else. Glad to have tried this one, and I love everything about the name and label, but Odd Side ought to do a bit of tinkering with this recipe before its next release.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a rosy hue with amber highlights and crystal clear. It is topped with an inch of white head that sticks around awhile and leaves some nice lacing.

The aroma has cherries and citrus. I even pick up a little caramel malt.

It starts out with some cherry flavor that gives way to some citrus and bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel

This is an interesting beer. I'm not sure the flavors meld well, but I am glad I tried it. I will try anything Odd Side bottles.

3.21/5  rDev -7.8%

12oz bottle, served in a snifter glass. Poured a dark ruby-pink body, one finger white head with fair retention time, nice lacing and decent-sized collar. Smells of cherry puree, wheat, minerals, spices, mild grainy malt. Interesting, but nothing too spectacular. Flavour is much different than it tastes, with a downright bitter, herbal experience throughout with a bit of pale malt sweetness and mild cherry skin finish. It's very herbal and bitter. Mouthfeel is thinner bodied, very bitter, not all that interesting or with much depth. Overall, not a very tasty beer with a lot of herbal bitterness. It does smell good, though.

3.24/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Always down for a new OddSide offering. Nice look and smell, you can tell this thing is about the cherries. The cherry in the taste is certainly more on the tart side, not sweet. Not really in my wheelhouse for flavor profile. In some ways, this reminds me of a sour, and I'm not a fan of that style.

3.59/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 8/27/2015. Pours slightly hazy bright ruby red color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light pink head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of lightly tart cherry, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, pear, apple, pine, coriander, pepper, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of cherries, citrus/pine hops, fruity/spicy yeast, and moderate bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of lightly tart cherry, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, pear, apple, pine, coriander, pepper, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind/spice bitterness and slight fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of cherry, grapefruit, lemon/orange peel, pine, coriander, pepper, clove, wheat, bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Nice robustness, complexity, and balance of cherries, citrus/pine hops, fruity/spicy yeast, and moderate bready malt flavors; with a solid malt/bitterness balance and some light astringent bitterness lingering after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and sticky/resinous mouthful that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice fruited white IPA style. All around good robustness, balance, and complexity of cherries, citrus/piney hops, fruity/spicy yeast, and moderate bready malt flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. Less astringent bitterness and a touch more tart cherry and sweet malt flavors would have definitely improved this; but it was still nicely enjoyable as it was.

3.37/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Short Review. Not bad, but I was expecting more, it's a little Light with the IPA and cherry flavors and whole the two go together well there's a watery component that shows up right in the middle and it hold this beer back. The mixture of tart and bitterness on the finish is a little weird also. I think more hops and cherrys would help this beer live up to it's name.

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a fantastic summer sipper. Look is glowing red with a strange, pink head. Taste is very subdued, but builds into a beautiful beer. Great balance between IPA, wheat, and cherry. It's easy to overdue cherry, but this beer nails it. If you're looking for a flavor explosion, you won't find it here. Still, this is a very nice and different offering.

2.36/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The best thing about this beer was it's appearance. Nice cheery color. Taste and smell was of cheap boxed wine. After one sip my stomach hurt. Took several sips before pouring down the sink. I like alot of odd sides beers but this was awful.

3.04/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a glass at Odd Side.

L: Pink! Clear.

S: Strong cherry notes with some hops and spice.

T: Tart cherry dominantes throughout. Does have a more complex body to it with good hoppiness, although not really bitter per se. And some spice/floral flavor as well. Definitely not sweet.

F: Average

O: Interesting beer, good for the summer and nice take on the cherry wine craze in Michigan. Not one that I would order frequently but not bad.

Snozzberries from Odd Side Ales