Citra Pale Ale (CPA) | Odd Side Ales

Citra Pale Ale (CPA)Citra Pale Ale (CPA)

Odd Side Ales
oddsideales.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by EricCioe on 04-11-2011

2.12/5  rDev -47.5%

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Mostly clear deep golden body. Nice white head. Thin collar and some lacing.

Smell - Citrus hops. Toasty and bready malts. The slightest hint of diacetyl.

Taste - Citrus hops aren't as prominent. The bready and toasty malts are stronger. Surprisingly bitter. The diacetyl comes out a little here, too.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated.

Overall - Normally I can't get past diacetyl. It was present, but light enough that I finished the beer.

3.13/5  rDev -22.5%

No date. Clear orange amber with a small ring of white head. Odd bubble gum (phenolic) aroma that was not expected. Rest of nose is composed of a hint of orange and overly strong malt presence. Was expecting more of the citrus/tropical/juicy notes with CITRA in the name of the beer, pale ale or not, and this was lacking. A bit of a spicy malt note (rye?) as well. Bit heavier and sweeter than I expected, but some dryness comes through in the mouthfeel as well to salvage... Oddside indeed, not quite sure what I was expecting, but this was a very unusual interpretation of CITRA IMO. Nothing was particularly off (though some muddled notes in the nose), but not necessarily a winner to me.

3.14/5  rDev -22.3%

MFG 03/8/15
My first bottle had a ton of sediment and was very noticeably gross! Held my second bottle up to the light and tipped it sideways before opening. Looked like a lava lamp with black sludge rolling around in it. Put that one back in the fridge to settle. Third time is the charm, right? This is the one I will be reviewing.

Poured carefully into teku. Perfect white 1" collar of foam. Golden in color with a tiny bit of visible dusting of sediment, slightly clouding the glass. The nose was pleasant in both bottles that I opened(still smelled fresh hops). The taste just wasn't the same. Fairly bland. The only substantial flavor was the bitterness on the back end. Nice mouthfeel w/mid-high carbonation. I would like to try this on draft or fresh(how citra should be enjoyed). I want to give this a fair shake so I will edit my review upon trying this again. Not very enjoyable. Enough so to where I will not be drinking the rest.

3.14/5  rDev -22.3%

Six pack of cans. Two weeks old.

Easily the weakest Citra beer I've ever had. It barely tastes like beer. Low malt character. Semi-sweet. Watery body. Low bitterness. Light aroma. Mild citrus flavor. No tropical flavor or aroma. If it didn't say Citra on the can, I don't think I'd know it was made with Citra.

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 03/21/13. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and unbranded standard silver pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Surlytheduff in a trade. Expectations are high. I believe this is my first beer from Odd Side.

Served cold, straight from a cooler. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream, good froth, nice thickness, and pretty good (~4 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear translucent copper-gold. Nice vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Little lacing as the head recedes.

Sm: A bit soapy - which has me worried. Too long in primary, perhaps. Tropical fruits, including pineapple and mango. Banana. Floral character. It's not my preferred hop character, lacking citrusy, nectary, and oily hops, but I could see where it might appeal to others. Pale malts lend a sweetness to it. This isn't what I expect from a citra hop brew, but I'll go with it. Lightly bready and grainy. Redolent of candied fruit, and I'm not sure that's a good thing here. A mild strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Oily hop character is lovely here. Candied mango, banana, and pineapple comes through - better than the aroma, but still not ideal for my personal preferences. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. The pale malt body is a bit bready and grainy, but not as much as I expected given the aroma. Sweet, but not cloying. Some pink grapefruit comes through. The candied character bothers me. Overall, it's fairly balanced. Built well for a pale ale; there's lots of flavour here. They just aren't the flavours I want from the style.

Mf: Oily, smooth, and wet. Good carbonation. Good body. Fairly refreshing. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: There's a lot going on here considering it's a pale ale, and I respect that. But it mixes a lot of flavours I don't care for in a pale ale - candied sweetness, tropical fruit, banana, pineapple - and as a result I like it a lot less than I should. It's drinkable, and I appreciate what they're bringing to the style. I applaud their efforts to venture into different territory than your run of the mill west coast citrus bomb, but this just isn't doing it for me. Looking forward to trying more beers from Odd Side; they seem to be forging new ground.

Thanks again to Surlytheduff for giving me the opportunity to try this.

High C+

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Canned 2/16/16; drank 3/11/16 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the can into a glass.

Semi-opaque orange appearance.

A rough pour yielded a big bright white head; strong, frothy tree-rung lace.

Pineapple, faint skunk spray & caramel notes in the nose.

Medium mouthfeel.

Dry pine flavor up front; bitter, dry grapefruit notes on the finish. Drinkable but certainly not enjoyable; what have they done to my favorite hop?!

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Citra Pale Ale (CPA) from Odd Side Ales