CPA: Citra Pale Ale | Odd Side Ales

CPA: Citra Pale AleCPA: Citra Pale Ale

Odd Side Ales
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by EricCioe on 04-11-2011

Reviews: 109 | Ratings: 770
4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass
nice light color and you can smell the citra hops during the pour
swirl in glass reveals great heavy citra hop smell

taste is light crisp and smooth with a nice grapefruit back end to it
as I drink the citra hops taste is strong through out
at 5.75% alcohol this is a great way to start the day/night out drinking
overall is a great beer and the price makes it an excellent value
would seek it out again and find myself in the backyard bbq during the summer drinking a few of these

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Bright golden color, very clear with moderate carbonation. Nice fluffy head with minimal lacing

Aroma - I think this bottle was getting on the older side - aroma was a little more subtle than when I last had it on draft. Aromas of resin, white grapefruit and pineapple

Flavor - Nice balance between the heavy hop flavor of Citra and the strong - but subtle - malt backbone.

Overal - Excellent and very session-able. Very nice pale/IPA worth seeking out -Fresh -

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: burnt orange body with a one finger bone white head that leaves some nice sticky lacing. Make sure to get that little bit of sediment off the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: pink grapefruit big time with a touch of fruit in the back

Flavors: nice citrus flavors up front, grapefruit, lemon rind; under the citrus I am picking up pear, apple and a little pineapple swirling around, a touch of pine and white grapefruit on the finish along with a touch of pineapple, the pineapple note is very settle.

Mouthfeel: mild-moderate carbonation, somewhat oily from the hops, medium to medium-full body, sweet-bitter pink grapefruit like feel on the front and mid with a touch of white grapefruit like bitterness on the finish and aftertaste along with a little pine like note – this makes for a dry finish.

To the Point: a tasty whatever you want to call it - pale ale or IPA. If some IPAs are too strong for you but, you like citrus, maybe this pale ale would do the trick. Come to think of it this could be a good introductory ale before trying a full bodied IPA.

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: average, pours a golden yellow with nearly no head that dicipates to simply of paper thin head that covers. Adequate lacing on the glass.

Smell: This is my second bottle (not in the same session). The first from the same sixer about two weeks ago had much more flora citra aroma. This bottle has the same citra aroma however it is simply less powerful. -that will teach me to drink a sixer this slow!

Taste: spicy grapefruit

Mouth Feel: a nice bite that tingles on your tongue

Mouthfeel: tingly effervescents

i would buy this again but consume it when fresher

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass
Bottled on 3/21/13

Thanks to Tee2Grn for this extra.

A: Pours a translucent amber with 1.5 fingers width of white head which dissipates down at a moderate rate. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Tropical fruits (mango and pineapple) along with some dank resinous notes. Tangerine and citrus rind. Really nice aroma.

T: Lots of sweetness on the tongue, sweet malts are the most prominent flavor. Not nearly the hop explosion that the nose was. There are subtle citrus notes and some mild bitterness. Not bad, but a pretty big disappointment compared to the nose.

M/D: Pretty smooth, carbonation on the lower end, a bit too low. A somewhat drying finish. Average drinkability.

O: Overall, a pretty good citra pale ale, but nothing that makes it stands out. Real nice nose but the hop profile doesnt shine through on the palate. Worth a drink but not something Id go out of my way to have again.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

$1.89 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. no ingredients per the website or label other than Citra hops. Pours out to a clear burnt orange, forming a tall white head with excellent retention and nice lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs or so. No sediment in bottle. The aroma is nice with pungent hops...mostly skunky MJ, a touch fo pine, then grapefruit. I like it. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a medium body. The taste is great as well...skunky MJ, with a touch of apricot in the middle, balanced by a touch of toasty malts, nice firm malt body, well balanced residual sweetness and a pleasant medium bitterness. For all practical purposes this is an IPA. No off flavors or aromas.

One of the best pale ales/IPAs I've had from a Michigan brewery. Exceptional. Easy to drink yet pungent and refreshing. I would definitely buy this again and recommend you try it if you want a pale ale with a little more Oooomph.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a mug.

A- A normal pour creates a 1-finger, off-white head. The clean, golden body sports moderate carbonation. The head shows good retention, and there are some awesome rings left on the glass.

S- Clean and fresh at first. Grapefruit and pineapple dominate the initial aroma profile. I'm a sucker for that tropical fruit thing. With some warmth, the grapefruit zest and pith begIn to take over.

T- It's quite hoppy at first. There's a real of grapefruit. It gets sweet with pineapple characteristics. There's a little more balance through the middle with some biscuit-like malts. A slight spice in the finish. More grapefruit and malt with warmth.

M- Medium body. Moderate-heavy carbonation. Hoppy tingle. Clean, dry finish.

O- This beer stradles the APA/IPA line for me, not that I could call it a negative. I'd pick this up when I'm looking for a hoppy fix without an ABV overload.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours cloudy burnt orange with two fingers of creamy off white foam. Nice retention and very sticky lace.

S: Citrus notes, orange rind, resinous hop notes.

T: Citrus zest, resinous hop profile, a bit oily, balanced and smooth finish.

O: Real nice offering from Odd Side - glad they started to bottle and I'll be interested to see what is next.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Poured a brillant crystal clear gold color with a one finger very slightly offwhite head that head good retention and decent lacing.

S - Wow. Huge citris and floral aromas upfront. There is also a very nice caramel background scent. Very pleasant smelling beer

T - Much like the smell. Grapefruit and lemon are right in your face upfront, but are balanced quite nicely with caramel and malt flavors. There is also a bit of a floral taste. All this is followed by a slightly piney aftertaste.

M - Light to Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Almost silky feeling in the mouth

O - Great APA. I love the Citra hops they used in the beer and they were balanced quite nicely with the caramel malts. Wasnt so hoppy that I thought I was drinking an IPA either. Nicely done. Will definately seek this out anytime I am near Michigan.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I heard a lot of Buzz about this beer, so I was excited when my friends at the Liquor Cabinet in St. Joseph had it in stock. Props to Odd Side for putting the date clearly on the side of the bottle. The reviewed bottle was dated 3/21/13. The beer poured a nice orange-copper color with high white head. The pint glass was almost unable to hold the head. In the aroma, I detected notes of pine and sweet citrus. The aroma is far from being passive. In the initial taste, one gets a burst of pineapple, orange, pine, and mild malt. At the back end, one detects notes of orange rind. The bitter resin occupies the aftertaste, following the beer right down the esophagus. The bitter grassy notes linger on the roof of the mouth and the sides of the cheeks. Though the beer had a massive head, the carbonation was muted. A reasonably thick texture allows the taste to linger nicely. This is a very good APA that I imagine would be even better on tap.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked up a bottle at the brew pub, first time the CPA was bottled. Had on tap multiple times.

Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a transparant dark yellow, 1 finger white head with good retention.

S: My nose is kicked by a ton of juicy tropical fruits

T: More tropical fruits, slight bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, carbonated well.

O: The size of the brewery doesn't matter, the beers that come out do. This beer is absolutely fantastic. I'm lucky enough to frequent Odd Side regularly and I almost always get the CPA. It's good, refreshing and hoppy enough to satisfy.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer on draft a couple times and I thought it was a very good Pale Ale and since Odd Side just started bottling this I thought I would pick one up and give it a proper review and I'm, interested to see how the bottled version holds up against it on draft, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it just showed up. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks good and the colors grab my attention. It poured a slightly orange golden color that took on more of an orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops that impart some floral aromas, but it's the citrus and tropical fruit aromas that stick out the most and impart a heavy grapefruit and orange rind aromas with some pineapple and mangos in the background. The malts barely stick out and impart a light sweet grainy aroma. This beer had a really good aroma it was super fruity and juicy and dominated by the citrus hops, I really enjoyed it and I think people would easily think this was brewed with fruits, but it's just the citra hops doing what they do best.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that was just the right amount and it was followed by loads of hops that impart tons of fruit flavors with some nice grapefruit and orange flavors showing up with a little bit of tropical fruits in the background. I don't really pick up any malts and there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness, with a sweet and fruity aftertaste. This beer tastes very good, it's dominated by citra hops that impart loads of great fruity flavors, I really enjoyed it.

M- Smooth, clean, refreshing, a little dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked well with this beer and it was fairly true to style.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it wasn't a traditional example of a Pale Ale, but it still was a good example of an American Pale ale, just not a traditional one since it wasn't nearly as balanced. This beer has very good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, it had just the right amount of bitterness, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored with it and I think this would be an Awesome Pale Ale to enjoy during the summer and while playing some disc golf, I find it to be pretty sessionable. What I liked the most about this beer was how bright and fruit the hop profile was, the citra hops just dominated the flavor and aroma in the best way possible. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have a bottling date, other than that there wasn't anything at all that was wrong with it. I would for sure buy this beer again, once Odd Sides starts making a little more of it I can see keeping some of this in the fridge all summer, it just might be my go to Pale Ale for this summer. I recommend this beer to just about anyone, if you like citrus hops than there's a good chance you will like this beer. All in all I was really happy with this beer, I thought it was just about as good as it was on draft, it seems just a little brighter and it looked a little better on draft, but other than that it was pretty much the same. This is just a great beer all around and I'm pretty sure this is my new favorite American Pale Ale, I think I will be drinking a lot of this in the upcoming months. I have only had a couple Odd Side beers but so far I pretty impressed and I think this brewery has some promise, good job guys, if this beer is an indicator for things to come than I see nothing but good things come and I can't wait to try more of their brews.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Got this in a growler trade from Rolandboy, thanks buddy.

As soon as I twist the growler cap the herbal hop aroma becomes very apparent.

A - pours a light golden with a small head. Probably a little bit of carb lost in the shipping process, but nothing really apparent. An aggressive pour produces a inch or inch and a half of thick white foam. Some chunky lacing.

S - Smells of rich herbal and floral hops. Rich orange and grapefruit peels with some herbal/sappy notes in there. Really fantastic.

T - this beer excels by not trying to be the biggest and baddest. Very balanced refreshing... Sip after sip of medium citrus hops. Manages to produce a very forward hop presence with minimal bittering on the back end. Near impossible to stop drinking.

M - has to be prefaced that I was drinking a 4 day old growler, but I thought it was great. Medium carb, the thickness of the beer was right on as a vehicle for the rest of the beer.

O - this is a great IPA. Ended up trading for it on a whim when Rolandboy put up a trade for local growlers, sure glad I did. This stuff is top notch.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale orange, bright clarity, spotty halo of lacing, creamy cap of long-lasting dense white foam deflates into a puffy soufflé island in the center. A sticky collar forms around the edges as it sits.

Slight catty and resiny aroma, tangerines, florals, coarse milled grains.

Flavors of tangerine citrus, orange peel, underripe fruit, coarse pale malt, dry grassy botanical finish. LIght to medium level of bitterness, light bodied, pretty drinkable. Overall not that far off from local favorite Daisy Cutter with more citrus and lighter body. Thanks Joe for the growler!

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first from this brewery. I love a brew with citra, and the chance to try a tap of this, I couldn't pass up. Smells terrific citrus and floral and pine pitch, with a nice balanced and presentation of the grains and malt, not heavily on any elements, and the taste is just the same. This is citrus grapefruit rind forward wonderfulness, and is hoppier than many pales, maybe somewhere between an IPA and a pale ale. Highly sessionable. I really liked this and would be a regular buyer if this were to bottle in the future. Impressive.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. Pours a pale-amber, slightly orange color with a white head that sifts down to a thin cover within minute. Aroma, as expected, full of citrus hops, very, very heavy mango and pineapple, nearly a "tropical" smelling beer - very nice and inviting. The bitter aroma from the hops is present, but is cut down quite a bit by the sweetness from the citrus-side of things. The taste combats with a little more of a bitter edge than the nose would have you believe, but the citrus notes are still there, with the pineapple and mango now joined by maybe some tangerine. Bitterness has a spike in the middle, but still never gets too high or overwhelming, which is pretty much what you're looking for in an APA - hop presence, but not necessarily dominance. Medium body, slightly sticky, carbonated well.

Very solid APA from Odd Side Ales. I've only had three of their beers, but I've enjoyed them thoroughly - all very unique and well-crafted. I need to try more.

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

Had this at sidetrack bar and grill which is in the historic depot town of ypsilanti, MI.

It was a bit dark for an APA. The board at the bar had it labled as an IPA, which seemed incorrect from both taste and smell. It was an easy drinking APA that I would drink again. Flavor was hop forward but very balanced with a nice malt backbone. Certainly wasn't a memorable beer, but a beer that I would drink again if I saw iton tap. Never heard of Odd Side Ales before, but I may go back to sidetrack and try their pineapple IPA.

EDIT: I've updated my review giving higher marks for both smell and overall. Maybe getting the chance to drink this at my house and out of the bottle changed it for me, but the smell on this is fantastic!

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - This unassuming beer is amber with golden highlights. I achieved very little head with my pour. I only had a thin skim of white head.

S - My nostrils are filled with fresh citrus. This is great coming from a pale ale.

T - The taste is loaded with fresh citrus, as well. I get hints of some caramel malt.

M - Moderate with mild carbonation.

O - This ranks right up there with Three Floyd's pale ales. This beer is delicious. I have searched for bottles every time I have been in Michigan. Finally, I scored some. I could drink this stuff everyday.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Served on-tap at Seven Monks Taproom in Traverse City, Michigan.
Served in a pint glass. Cloudy apricot in color, with a sturdy head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Heady bouquet of Citra hops
Taste-Tasty, snappy tropical Citra hops, well-balanced and deliscious. Session-worthy. Try with meat-and-cheese board. Outstanding.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks for sending me this growler, jbck109! Split with abecall98.

A: Pours a honey-amber color with a finger of off-white head that left some decent lace.
S: Citra hop nose all the way with huge notes of sweet tropical fruits and a touch of citrus.
T: More citrus, a hint of lemon, tropical fruit nectars and maybe a bit of pine in the aftertaste. Pale malts and light grains balance out the fruity hops. The finish is mellow and has a low hop bitterness. Very balanced.
M: Medium-low body, smooth and light, refreshing mouthfeel, creamy and easy to drink carbonation.
O: A very solid no frills citra pale ale. Very easy to drink and very balanced. I enjoyed every drop. Thanks again Jay!

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Amber and see through. Little to no head and slight lacing. Smells tropical and peachy. Taste is tropical and peachy, slightly sweet and a touch of bitterness. Clean aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonated well. Overall, this is my favorite hop and it's good to see a brewer from Michigan using it exclusively in a beer. This is really a beer that anyone could enjoy. I would love to see this bottled and distributed.

Edit-5/4/13- Had the bottle version for the first time. I have to agree with a previous reviewer in saying that it has way too much crystal 60. Very caramely which almost overpowers the citra fruitiness. Very different from when I had it on tap.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Had a liter at Sidetrack in Ypsilanti.

Poured nice and golden, smelling of grapefruit. Had a nice kick of hops, but not overwhelming. A very good brew.

Prior to this brew, I had never heard of Odd Sides....but I will keep an eye out for more of their brews.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

On-tap at Hermann's Olde Town Grille in Plymouth, MI. Served into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange with an inch of fluffy white head. Solid head retention with some pitting and nice lacing.

S: Big time citrus hops with a nice orange aroma. A little earthiness on the nose as well. Nice.

T: At first, it tastes like fresh-squeezed orange juice or like I just bit into an orange. Hints of grapefruit and lemon mingle with the orange, and there is a great hop bite on the finish.

M: My favorite thing about this beer is how juicy it is. The juiciness really makes it a great thirst quencher. Along with the hints of lingering bitterness and sweetness, and the perfect amount of carbonation, this beer may be the closest I have had to juice. I love it.

O: Today is the first time I have gotten to try this, and I absolutely love this beer. It compares very well to Zombie Dust, and I would love to do a side-by-side. Based upon my notes, the juiciness of Odd Side Citra sets it apart. A must-try for any hop-head. Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours an orange-tinged golden brown with one finger of off-white head. Head leaves some decent lacing. Smell is very nice citra hops, giving both citrus pulp and zest. Faint malt aroma. Taste also has nice juicy citrus as well as bitter citrus zest. Not as bitter as Zombie Dust. Just a very nice Citra flavor that is still hoppier than many APAs. Medium mouthfeel finishes with a subtle but lingering dry bitterness. Between this and the Pineapple IPA, Odd Side is making some solid hoppy beers. Very tasty.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Had a pint at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Big citra hop fan.

Nice golden color with a decent head. Smelled like grapefruit perfume! Almost like a glass of citra hops. The taste was more muted than the smell. It still was in your face though with the piney, grapefruit blast you would expect from the smell. Very crisp and light, while bitterness does linger.

Can't wait to have again!! This is the first Odd Side beer I have tried.

CPA: Citra Pale Ale from Odd Side Ales