Derelicte: Pineapple IPA

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Derelicte: Pineapple IPADerelicte: Pineapple IPA
Notes:
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 200
4.21/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Im thinking this is a re-vamped version of this beer. Abv is a bit higher than stated, 7.6%
Look is a dark golden slight haze with a fluffy white head that reduces to a generous cap of soapy lace.
Smell is up front pineapple. Followed by light dank hops.
Taste follows nose. Assertive pineapple blast but not overdone. Followed up by tropical dank hops that leaves a bitter yet juicy finish with very minimal malt backbone if any...
Mouthfeel/body is medium and wet with medium to high carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden brown.One finger inch thick head. Oodles of lacing on the glass once the head decipates. Huge notes of pine resin and floral notes on the nose.

Superbly "dank".

I can't say I taste any pineapple here but I don't mind,this brew is really well done. Wet mouth feel with a clean dry finish. 7.5 Abv is cloaked effortlessly into the flavor of the hops. This is pretty much the definition of a midwest? IPA. I enjoyed this beer quite alot and would drink again

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle to IPA glass. Golden in color with a few fingers of fluffy head. Aroma is tropical fruits, floral and honey notes, sweet malt, pineapple. Aroma carries through to the flavor, with a grapefruit pith/pine finish, and a dry, bitter finish. Pineapple flavor is just right, tangy and sweet, and it compliments rather than dominates the base ale.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper. Thick, medium, white head that lasts a while fading to a cap.

Smells citrus, malt, hints of pineapple and light pilsner smell.

Tastes sweet pineapple, grapefruit, bready malt. Fruit sweetness balanced by bitter citrus peel. Finish is dry with citrus peel linger. Medium body and creamy medium carbonation.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Odd Side Ales Pineapple IPA

12 oz. bottle, bottled 05/02/16 printed on the label. My bottle lists this beer as Pineapple IPA, with a 7.50% abv listed on the bottle. "Ale with pineapple added".

Poured into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A - Pours a very nicely hazed burnt sunset orange body, lots of sediment flecks visible in the glass, with a good finger of frothy off-white foam head with good retention, that leaves very nice scattered strands of lacing. Appears aptly carbonated. Looks very nice.

S - A smooth & creamy aroma comes forth at me; I'm getting notes of fruitiness, but it isn't hop derived, nor is there much perceivable hop bitterness / earthiness at all. 'Creamy' and floral is the best way i can describe it. (Citra? Mosaic hops?) Nice, but it needs more.

T - Very nice kick of semi-sour / tart pineapple juice - this thing literally tastes like beer mixed with pineapple juice. Lightly bready & malty, but again any perceivable hop bitterness is blended with the bitterness from the actual pineapple. I detect a bit of earthy yeast presence near the end also. Lightly bottle conditioned?

M - Feel is very smooth, crisp, creamy, clean, fruity, & juicy, with light bitterness & tartness. Medium-light bodied, it goes down easier the more i drink it. Definitely doesn't feel like 7.50% abv. Lingering juicy pineapple bitterness covers the palate. Mildly bitter / resinous.

Overall, very nice stuff from Odd Side, continually enjoyed this one as it went down; would definitely like to see other fruited variants on this IPA. Very enjoyable stuff.

Odd Side Ales Pineapple IPA -----4/5.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mason jar.

A: Golden/amber color with mega carbonation. Head rises and immediately falls.

S: You do get those citrus and pineapple notes but I was expecting more pineapple in the nose. The citrus from the hops may tame the pineapple aroma but you still pick up on honey-like hints. Not sure if the brewed with whole pineapple or just pineapple juice.

T: It's still an IPA but I expected two things from the taste: more pineapple and mop bitter to balance one of nature's sweetest fruits. It does come off considerably more sweet than your typical IPA though.

F: The sweet clings to the tongue and doesn't leave room for much else but still refreshing with the carb bubbles.

O: More pineapple in the nose and on the taste buds perhaps. Great for a hot day but I'm only drinking one. Personally, I would not commit to a sixer of these.

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmm...from a bottle into a glass stein

A: in the bottle I swear I could see purée of some sort at the bottom. When poured hazy with a head that disappointed as it quickly faded.

S: Best thing about this one IMHO. A mix of the pineapple along with grapefruit citrus addition. It is driving the nearby bees (drinking outside) crazy.

T: Too sweet. Malt is dialed up way too high. Not enough hop bitter and I get more grapefruit than pineapple as the dominate fruit. On a hot day, I could not do 2 back to back. Almost a stout sweetness going on.

F: Nothing offensive, nothing great. Just left with the cloying sweetness.

O: I wish this had more citrus and pineapple to the taste. I was hoping for a refreshing summer beer. This is not it.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

$12.59 six pack of 12oz. bottles from Copper Vine poured into a Duvel tulip. MFG 05/13/15 printed on label.

A-1-1/2 finger, dense, off-white head. Hazy, golden-orange body. Head settles to 1/4 finger and leaves wide bands of stick on the glass.

S- Sweet and fruity. Sugary sweetness mixes nicely with a solid hit of pineapple and grapefruit juice. Very fresh (as it should be considering it was bottled all of 2 weeks ago). More grapefruit than pineapple, though they even out a bit with warmth.

T- Pretty much as the aroma suggests. The malts are sweet, like charred brown sugar or caramel/English toffee. Definitely pick up on the pineapple addition and there's a good dose of grapefruit hops (though not as powerful as aroma suggests at the first sip. Pineapple and grapefruit switch roles on that account). A couple sips later and I pick up some herbal, spicy and, black pepper-like flavors in the finish.

M- Medium-full body. Moderate-light carbonation. A slight hop bite. Finish starts with hops, but the pineapple sneaks in right at the end to wrap things up a little sweet.

O- Eh. Great peripherals, great appearance, wonderful aroma. Just a sos-so flavor. Not a big IPA, but not an overly fruity beer either. One and done for a sitting, but something I won't mind coming back to in the course of a six pack. Something about the pineapple and hops just comes out a little funny. Again, not bad, just odd (as the Brewery name may imply in this instance).

3.89/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a mango orange with a nice half inch thick white head. Smell is pineapple, malt, grass, and citrus. Taste is of pineapple, earth, a bit of biscuit malt, and pine. The pineapple flavor is.... different, not like a fresh pineapple whatsoever and not like a artificial pineapple flavor, it falls somewhere else completely that still reminds you of pineapple. Mouth feel is light to moderate, and okay carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

This time, a bottle from my Buddy...Trent!

It's a hazy honey coloured brew that sits under a +1 finger of billowy foam.

In the smell, I get biscuit malt mixed with a citrusy grassy hop aroma.

The taste brings me biscuit malt and a citrus turning to, in the finish, a sort of quinine bitterness. Very sharp bitterness. I can't say I get any pineapple.

Medium body and carbonation.

This is an unusual IPA and one that I like.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Odd Side Pineapple IPA

Aroma: Melon, fresh fruit, and flowery hop notes are up front. Hints of caramel sweetness in the background. Clean fermentation character. As the beer warms I do note some pineapple aromatics. I had to double check to make sure I wasn’t being influenced by the name. Nice bright and light hop aromas abound.

Appearance: Deep brick red pour with a very sudsy and foamy white cap. Head retention is very good. Nice lacings around the glass.

Flavor: Bittering piney and lemony hop notes are up front. As the beer warms there is a nice light pineapple juice-like flavor but it’s off-set by the firm hop bitterness. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is lingering and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. A bit oily due to hops. No alcohol heat.

Overall impression: An approachable IPA. Not near the Pineapple or assertive hops I was expecting. Good enough. So many other good Michigan IPA’s that I probably won’t be back.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

$ 2.79/12 oz bottle at Lager Mill
Manufactured 07/03/14 at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of pineapple
Head average (4 cm), off white, creamy with small rocks, rapidly diminishing to 3 mm layer
Lacing very good – multiple wide rings of predominantly small bubbles
Body dark orange with slight haze
Flavor begins heavily sweet and definitely not tasting of pineapple, ends with a bitter aftertastes. No alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, oily, soft carbonation

This beer has a nice appearance and aroma. The palate is OK. A fruit beer should reflect the flavor and aroma of the fruit in question. I find the flavor to be quite unpleasant and not even vaguely resembling pineapple. This is one beer I won’t be trying again.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- It is not what i thought or imagined it would look like , I was thinking Big bright yellow golden , but no! Its dark amber hazy almost honey hue with a Biscutty white head that dissipates rather quick. Really the appearance is actually quite nice.

Smell- I can smell the hops , like a bitter hop smell, then you have this massive juice smell lingering as I swirl it. Sweet ripe pineapple. almost like fermented citrus smell.

Taste- I like a sweet IPA and this is all that and a bag of white castle sliders! Juicy , no big bitterness as the smell would have you believe. Sorta bitter on the finish and slight dryness to it . Very and I mean VERY drinkable! Has a slight stickiness you would get from pineapple juice and the tartness too!

Mouthfeel - Good! Sticky , carbonated , beer juice!

Overall- This another good beer from Michigan! Oddside ales is Getting the fucking job done is all I Know! But really folks you want to try a good , Juicy refreshing beer without the annoying bitterness, this is it !

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This ipa pours a hazy golden copper color with a small white head that gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose delivers on the name. An abundance of pineapple and tropical fruit hop notes with some pine and floral hops underneath as well as a mice malty sweetness. The flavor lacks the pineapple specificity of the nose. It instead tastes just like 100s of other American ipas. The malt is also a little too prevailing. It is overly sweet like many of Oddsides beers. The mouthfeel is almost too sticky. This was okay but not worth seeking out.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Oddsides Pineapple IPA a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but I've been wanting to try it for a while and I'm glad Oddsides decided to distribute it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice slightly hazy orange amber color that took on a slight red hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of bubbly off white head that was right on the border of being light tan and it died down thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the head retention and lacing could have been a little better

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that's followed by the pineapple and the fruity hops being the first to show up and the pineapple seems to stick out the most with the hops imparting some nice, fruity, orange juice and citrus rind like aromas that make for an aroma that reminds me of some pineapple orange juice. Up next comes some floral hops aromas that lead right into some malts with some slightly grainy, slightly bready and sweet malt like aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I think the aroma lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into a hops that impart that same hoppy aspect that I got in the aroma with the citrus hops seeming to stick out the most with some floral hops in the background along with some very light pineapple flavors that isn't as noticeable as I would like. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a citrus hops like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the pineapple was bolder and stuck out more like it did in the aroma.

M- fairly smooth, a little crisp, clean, slightly refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was a great example of a Pineapple IPA simply because the pineapple just wasn't that noticeable when it got to the taste and with a name like Pineapple IPA I expect the pineapple to be showcased as nicely as it was in the aroma. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, clean, slightly refreshing, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one or two would be enough for me and I might start to get bored with it after that, but it does make for a decent warm weather beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was by the far the best aspect of this beer and it was the aspect that was the truest to the name. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of pineapples in the taste, it was barely noticeable and I've had beers that had no pineapple in them that still imparted more of pineapple flavor simply from the hops. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered one and I can't say I would recommend this beer because I don't feel like the taste lives up to the name. All in all, I wasn't impressed with this beer, but I didn't think it was bad, it's just that the taste didn't live up to the name and that seems to be a theme I'm starting to notice with these Pineapple IPA's and I'm starting to think that it's way harder to impart pineapple flavors in a beer using pineapple than I thought. It's not my favorite Oddsides beer, but It is my favorite Pineapple IPA and I like it much more than the one that was in the Sam Adams Long Shot six pack. I appreciate the effort, but I think the taste could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a pretty golden orange with a ring of white foam.

Pineapple-esque but a lot of malty sweetness.

Pineapple flavor is there, but it's rather subtle and unapparent.

Light-bodied, low carbonation, crisp, slightly tart.

Overall, a rather bland beer, was hoping for more.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a dark amber with a one-finger white head. Light sticky lacing.

S - Light aroma of pineapple and floral hops.

T - The flavor is an interesting blend of pineapple and bitter piney hops. The sweetness and bitterness balance out well. Finish has a nice piney hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

O - This is another unique beer from Oddside. Very drinkable and a nice summer beer.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 5/26/2014. Pours lightly hazy orange amber color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big juicy pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, grass, light caramel, honey, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity and balance of pineapple, citrus hops, and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of juicy pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, grass, pine, caramel, toast, and floral/toasted earthiness. Good amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, floral, grass, pine, caramel, toast, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and complexity of pineapple, citrus hops, and dark/bready malt sweetness; with a good malt/bitterness balance and a fair amount of lingering astringent bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately sticky, and fairly creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice fruited IPA. Good balance and complexity of pineapple, citrus hops, and dark/bready malt sweetness; and very smooth to drink. The bitter astringency definitely knocked this down for me, but nicely enjoyable otherwise.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

We crack a 12 oz. bottle each, pouring into our Great Lakes pint glasses. The color shines a deep golden amber, and the head sits thick and pillowy above it, holding a nice retention. Carbonation appears to be exceptionally light. The aroma is also rather light. The hops are missing, and the pineapple is subdued, giving more of a syrupy punch to the amber, pale, and caramel maltiness, rather than to any inherent fruity sweetness. The flavoring gives a bit more to the authenticity of the named fruit, but this comes more on the back, where it competes with intense phenols, booze, dirty vanilla extract, coconut husk, board chalk, bittering citric and sappy hoppiness, musk, and cereal and rice-laden maltiness. Each sip is nice, giving nice slurp and smack, with light creaminess, and a moderate puck of bitterness to the soft and hard palates. The abv is appropriate, but the bitterness keeps you at bay, slowing the drinking down.

Overall, we felt a couple things were lacking here. This felt much more like an amber ale than your standard IPA. Additionally, the advertised star of the show, pineapple, is curiously absent, with hints in the end and after of cloying sugars that are more synthetic than natural. Honestly, the malts are what are most surprising, in that they are way too deep. The hops do, however, work well with this, but end up being overly bitter and curiously resinous and piney, especially when you’re expecting something tropical and robustly sweet, with fruity inclusions abound. Alas, this is a decent beer, but we couldn’t find what was advertised, found ourselves searching for something that was just absent, and felt like this beer was just too heavy to be compared to the basic IPA family.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from the tap an orange-gold color with two fingers of off-white head. Good amount of sticky lacing left behind.

The aroma was light with pineapple and vanilla.

The pineapple and vanilla from the aroma carried over in the taste. The taste had more depth and flavor once the beer warmed a bit.

Medium bodied and creamy with a lighter carbonation.

Not great, but quite good. Definitely interesting with the pineapple direction.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice darker golden color

S: Sweet and hoppy, just what I was expecting

T: Sweet and hoppy, just as the smell hints at but this really comes off different from all other IPA's. The taste is sweet with just the right amount of hops

M: Nice and full, it really helps balance the sweetness, not that the beer is over sweet to begin with

O: I really liked this beer, most of the odd side stuff is pretty decent but this stands out in my opinion. This is a GREAT summer IPA

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A: pour into dogfish IPA glass.. a golden/dark orange with lasting ring of head and 1/4 finger head. Leaves slight lacing
S: Sweet caramel, fruit, pineapple.
T: Sweet malt flavor, pineapple and bitter hops. quite quaffable though as the bitterness doesn't kick your teeth in. The fruity esters and sweet carmel malt backbone balances very well. Has a bitter aftertaste and slight phenol flavor.
M: Almost too sticky sweet but it works well with the pineapple for sure. A little more on the malty/full side.. which I personally like.

O: Love this beer. Had it on draft at a few different places.. glad to pick up a couple sixers!!! Odd Side rules.

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

$5.25 pint had at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: A nice, surprisingly pretty dark brown sort of color. Not much of a head to speak of, but there's some decent lacing from top to bottom. Unfortunately, the highlight of the beer for me.

Smell: Just.. some nondescript sweetness. As it warmed up, fruity notes came out, but it was just a pretty sweet smelling beer. I didn't get any "fresh bursts" of hops or anything like I was expecting.

Taste/feel: When I first got it, the beer was EXTREMELY cold, and tasted like a bitter mess... like I was drinking well water infused with serious notes of lead and copper. After the beer got to its "supposed-to-be-consumed" temperature, I actually kind of enjoyed it. At the beginning, I'd've given this a 2.5. After the bitterness went away and some sweetness and pineapple shined through, I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a fan of pineapple as far as the actual fruit (mostly a texture thing) is concerned, but I can enjoy the flavor. I don't get a huge amount of pineapple or specific sorts of hops in this beer, but it does taste alright. Not overly bitter, pretty easy drinking... not bad.

Odd Sides for once didn't blow me away! I didn't think their Mayan Mocha Stout was great (at least for a Summer drinker), but I liked it more than this. This is a decent IPA, but not one I'd seek out in the future a second time, given the other great beers in Odd Side's line-up.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at an Old Chicago near my house. I was a little scared to try this one at first - haven't had a pineapple beer before, and I was afraid of how it would turn out.

The beer pours a beautiful golden-yellow-pineapple color with a tiny, disappearing head. Decent lacing left all the way down the glass. The smell was pretty sensational - a nice mash-up of hops, pines, pineapples, and citrus. Didn't smell or taste much malt. The beer does a nice job of balancing the pineapple flavor with the hop profile. At any one time, you can stop and taste BOTH citrus/pineapple and hops/pines in your mouth. This allows the flavors to compliment each other and work together, rather than compete and overpower. It also does a nice job of being sweet without being TOO sweet - this may be from the balance of bitterness that the hop profile adds. On the mouth, the beer has a medium body and is pretty wet and sticky.

This was a very unique brew that combined one of my favorite fruits with an excellent style of beer. Balanced fruit beers are always hard to pull off, but Odd Side Ales managed to do a very nice job with this one. Would have again in a heartbeat.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to my dad for bringing this one down for me to try. Served in a wine glass.

Pours an apricot-gold color with a good white head and some nice lacing as it goes down. The nose brings forward some nice citrus hops plus a bit of a floral component. Nice pineapple in the background. Not too much malt to speak of. Flavor is light pineapple plus some orange and citrus. Medium body with good carbonation and a semi-dry finish. Very good brew.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast