Lucid Dreams | Odd Side Ales

Reviews by Vogie:

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.44/5  rDev -8.5%

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into tulip

A- Deep maroon, barely any light allowed through
S- Vinigar sourness, red wine, berries... reminds me of GI Lolita in smell
T- Sweet and vinigar sour almost like an Oud Braun. The red wine barrel aging gives it a great tanin flavoring but seem to drive a very short finish on the flavor. Boldish flavors that fade too quick
M- Thin, but works fine

O- Fun beer to try. Love the use of red wine barrels. The flavors are good, they just fade so quick

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a teku glass

It is brown in color with burnt orange and copper highlights. It is capped with an inch of tan head that leaves a little lacing.

It definitely has a vinous smell. I get some dark fruit, figs and dates, from the dubbel base.

The wine is big in the taste. I get a dry wine taste. I'm having trouble detecting the dark fruit from the smell.

Medium and dry

It's a pretty good beer. The wine really carries this one. It is interesting just like all of Odd Side's beers. That's what keeps me trying them all.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Lucid Dreams last week for $4.29 at The Lager Mill. I don't think I've ever had a wine barrel aged beer that wasn't a sour or a Saison and I'm interested to see how the barrel works with the Dubbel base, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage, fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, I like the name and the design goes really well with it, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a unique ruby/amber color that took on more of a crimson like hue when held to the light and it had a little under a two fingers worth of head which died down to a thin ring fairly quickly and it left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer and it actually had a wine like color, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a nice tart aroma being the first to show up along with a nice fruit aroma with some cherry and dark fruits seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a slight funky farmhouse ale like aroma followed by the wine barrel which imparts a very oaky and red wine like aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, even though it was only a little Dubbel like it still had some pretty good aromas to it and it could be mistaken for a wild ale from the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a pretty light amount of tartness that lead right into a nice fruit flavor with some dark fruit and wine like flavors coming through and there's a little bit of Belgian yeast like flavors in the background along with a pretty light farmhouse ale like flavor. Up next comes the barrel which imparst a little more wine flavors and some big oaky flavors. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of bitterness along with some slightly warming alcohol and it had a dark fruit, wine and oak like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the wine barrel were pretty heavy, but they imparted some nice flavors that I enjoyed.

M- Smooth, a little complex, just crisp enough, ,medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but I wish it had just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought this was a pretty good example of a Wine Barrel aged beer, I can't say it's too recognizable as Dubbel so it certainly isn't a true example of a Dubbel, but it's still an enjoyable and tasty beer nonetheless. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little complex, just crisp enough, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think two of these would be my limit and this seems like a good beer to enjoy on a cool summer night. What I like the most about this beer was the how well the wine barrels are showcased, in pretty much all the wine barrel aged beers I've had in the past they have had a fairly light wine barrel aspect, but in this beer the wine barrel really showed up and it sticks out just as much as bourbon barrels do in some stouts. What I liked the least about this beer was the carbonation, if it had just a little more carbonation the mouthfeel would be very nice. I would buy this beer again and I'm glad I got a four pack when I had the chance and I'd like to see how this beer would age. I would recommend this beer to most people and it's a must try if you like wine barrel aged beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I thought it was nice change of pace and so far this is the most barrel heavy beer I've had from Oddsides. I think it's one of the better Oddside beers I've had and it's one of the most memorable wine barrel aged beer I've had simply because the wine barrel really showed up. Good job guys, this was a pretty unique and enjoyable beer, keep up the great creative work.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lucid Dreams from Odd Side Ales