Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bean Flicker | Odd Side Ales

YOUR RATING = None |
Bean FlickerBean Flicker

Odd Side Ales
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Blonde Ale

A light coffee note with gentle grains.

Added by TheBrewo on 08-02-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 385
3.76/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours golden yellow with thin fizzy white head. great retention

this weird blend of coffee, chocolate, truffles, candy, it is hard to explain, but interesting and very aromatic

taste is similar to nose however heavier on the coffee for sure. some light chocolate notes. if you could not see this, you would never know it was a blonde.

bright body, moderate carbonation.

this is interesting, not something i would want many of in a row but here and there it is good.

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Appearance- clear effervescent gold, with a soapy looking head that quickly dissipates with little to no lacing. It honestly has the look of an adjunct lager nothing remotely impressive in the appearance.

Smell- I am picking up the fragrance if a fresh brewed hazelnut coffee, nodes of vanilla, cream and sugary bready sweetness, and a light grassiness of morning dew.

Taste/mouthfeel- WOW! Just Wow! This is the most flavorful light beer that I have ever had. Starts out with a creamy hazelnut and vanilla flavor that then shifts to a flavor of fresh brewed coffee. Has a light bready malt quality in the finish. The body of this one is light without ever becoming watery. The mouthfeel and after taste are phenomenal leaving a flavor of having just finished a fresh cup of hazlenut or french press coffee.

Overall- I have had this beer several times now. Twice on tap and have purchase three six packs of it. This is my favorite sessionable beer at only 4.5% ABV I could drink this beer all day. If it proves to be available year round I have a new go to beer. I hate blonde ales because they usually lack flavor and complexity but this one has me wanting to revisit the style. Love Odd Side's brews highly recommend this beer!

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

$2.19 single bought at Fairway Sav-More in Eastpointe, Michigan. I knew this had recently been released in bottles, and I pretty much have to get my hands on anything Odd Side puts out... I love their stuff.

Appearance: The name of the beer is obviously referring to... well... Google it. Bean Flicker is a super pale yellow color, which I'd expect for the style. A few floaters and a couple pieces of sediment. Three finger, soapy-ish head dies to one and sticks around for quite awhile. There's really no lacing. Really looks like piss, but who cares?

Smell: Welp, coffee. Malts. Kind of also smells like some sort of fresh baked something or other that I can't put my finger on... coffee cake? Smells very good.

Taste/feel: Here we go again, Odd Side impresses me. Again. Really liking how this drinks... it's about what I expected. It's a blonde ale with coffee in it. What do you want me to say? The flavor of this is actually a bit more than I thought to expect, but that's fine by me. If that's not enough, there's a solid feel to this as well. The coffee flavor manages to stick to your tongue for awhile after you sip, which I enjoy a lot -- ya don't need a dark beer to get a coffee fix in your beer, and this blonde ale proves that. A 4.5% beer with a nice body? Surprisingly bold flavor? Count me in. Odd Side just doesn't disappoint... worth the slight up-charge.

4.29/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I love the bottle design, very creative and beautiful artwork, there is also a bit of mild sexual innuendo that made me laugh, a nice touch. Pours a slightly copper- golden color with a solid two- finger head that sticks around for a while, with moderate lacing.

Smell: Strong smell of medium roast coffee and some vanilla, a bit sweet, but not cloying, along with a very slight bit of bready malt. Aroma is nice and can be smelled from a distance.

Taste: I get a strong vanilla and coffee taste, like a vanilla latte up front, then a bit of grassy hops and light malt. This beer is very smooth and easy to drink, my wife also loves this one, and she is not a beer drinker.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, but with a slight slickness. This beer goes down easily.

Overall: I really like this beer, and will drink many with my wife. It is nice to have something we both enjoy! It is an interesting take on a blonde ale, different from anything I have had. I love coffee stouts, but this is the first light style I have had. I recommend this for every one looking for something session able, flavorful and different!

4.24/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Odd Side Ale's Bean Flicker a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. A Blonde Ale brewed with coffee had me intrigued and with my track record with this brewery I knew I had to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is really good looking, the colors and design are very eye catching and it really sticks out on the shelf. It poured a nice looking golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden/amber color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it's right on par for how a Blonde Ale should look.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a lots of coffee aromas that have a nice fresh coffee, espresso and java like aroma that reminds me of a coffee that I could order at starbucks. Up next comes some hops that impart a light citrus and fruity aroma that blends surprisingly well with the coffee and is followed by some pale, bready and grainy malt aromas with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the coffee works surprisingly well with the Blonde Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a some pale and bready malts with a really light amount of hops and it quickly gives way to lots of coffee which impart some java, espresso, and vanilla like flavors that remind me of Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with just a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a coffee dominated aftertaste with some bready malts showing up a little in the background. I really liked the flavor of this beer, the coffee was showcased nicely and just enough Blonde Ale flavors came through,

M- Very smooth, clean, very crisp, a little dry, one the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked very nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of a coffee infused beer that didn't have a dark beer base, it showed me that while the dark beer base can meld well with the coffee flavors it isn't always a necessary and that coffee has the potential to work with the other styles that I never would have thought would have turned out to be good. This beer has very good drinkability, it's smooth, crisp, not filling, and the flavors did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, it wouldn't be a stretch from me to drink more than a few bottles of this since that taste really doesn't wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was just about everything, all aspects of this beer were right where they needed to be to live up to it's name. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got a six pack and I see a few more in my future and it just my be a new regular in my beer fridge, I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee infused beer. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I have been pretty impressed with Oddsides but I wasn't sure that they could pull of a Coffee Blonde Ale, but they did it in a way that truly impressed me. It really messed with my head at first because it looks exactly like a normal Blonde Ale, but the taste is anything but normal. Great job Oddsides, you guys are making some great beer and I have no problem claiming that their one of my favorite up in coming brewery's. keep up the great work guys.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a light copper color. good clarity but a slight haze. three fingers of a off white head that leaves a little bit of lacing behind

smell: nice combination of light coffee notes, pale malts, and some vanilla

taste: opens up with nice and easy pale malts. quickly taken over by a very light vanilla/coffee taste. ends with just a bit of sweetness

Mouthfeel: nice and light. drinkable, but a bit of stickiness left behind

Overall: i was hesitant to buy this one and only bought a single rather that a sixer. i was very pleasantly surprised. nice light coffee taste. easy the most memorable and best blonde that i can think of.

3.6/5  rDev -4%

A big, billowing soapy white head condenses down to a full finger of a heavy, craggy crown that shows off some good retention, while bubbling from the bottom of the glass continues to keep it strong. It rests on a chill hazed but bright dark yellow-gold brew. Lacing is left in thick, sturdy spotting starting from the top.
The aroma is quite distinctive. It's an interesting idea to use a blonde beer as a base. It allows the coffee to rule, though this beer is brewed well enough that the coffee doesn't completely overshadow the pale malts or the light floral and citrus hops notes. Underneath is a touch of earth and a grassy, not quite herbal note.
The flavor is more interesting. The parts try to separate themselves and get a little muddled doing so. Particularly of note is an initial tangy, tart citrus note that drops for straight coffee to come through and then puts some zest back in when the coffee falls back. Grains go in and out underneath, malts asserting themselves a bit.
The feel has too much spritz at first, though that drops after time. While appropriately light-bodied, it tends toward a watery feel in the middle with nothing to really make up for the loss. a smoothness seems to attempt to develop but doesn't really. A minerality comes out at the end of each sip.

3.54/5  rDev -5.6%

We pour a brew of dirty golden blonde into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It holds a generous three finger head of yellow-tinged cakey bubbles that slowly glug away. Thick sheets of lacing are left as it goes. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be highly, highly active. The aroma gives pale and steely pilsner malts, yeasty metallics, rich hazelnut roast, moderate citric hop zest, and soft chemical phenols. With warmth we also get notes of fresh vanilla, muddy metallics, fresh grassiness, and shaving foam. Our first impression is that this beer tastes like your simple coffee stout, but the lighter malt base gives significant bitterness and puck. As we sip, strong hazelnut, lime rind, quinine, tonic water bite, bittered metallic pils grain, murky pale malts, and basement must. The middle comes to a peak with raw coffee bean grittiness, continued lime and lemon zest, distant earthy hops, crumbling dry leafiness, oak sap, and mint root, as the metallic pilsner malts come to a head at the back of the palate. Washing through the finish is more bittered pale maltiness, peanut butter sweetness, soapy hops, tinny metallics, white flour, sulfuric mineral, and mild cherry flesh fruitiness. The aftertaste breathes of fusel booze, clean pale and pilsner graininess, hollow hazelnut, biscuity breadiness, yeasty echoes, tin, kidney bean dryness, chalkboard, pencil eraser, and light grassy and earthy hops. The body is light, and the carbonation is extreme. The latter builds up to a strong prickle, even with the standard, easy motion of the swallow. Each sip affords great slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is initially coated, but drips dry into satiation, and puck without that intense astringency. The abv is seemingly sessionable, and the beer sips easy once you get used to it.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its aroma. Here we get an instantly curious juxtaposition of a clean blonde ale base, with nicely bittered grain, while atop it we ride alongside stronger coffee flavoring than we’ve experienced in some straight coffee stouts. The case is very much the same through the flavoring, with the first and last thing you’re left thinking about is this bright hazelnut coffee roastiness. It’s quite the odd pair, no pun intended. That said, it seems as if they’ve accomplished what they set out to do with this one, and we are happy to have been a part of the experiment. One downside was the carbonation, which approached the level of champagne, slowing drinkability a bit. This beer will certainly not appeal to everyone, but if you’ve got the interest it is certainly worth your time.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last