Coulter IPA | Cismontane Brewing Company

Added by DoubleJ on 05-01-2010

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

3.31/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Found it at local Bevmo and noticed it was from a brewery in Southern California so I figured to give it at try, especially for the good price.

The appearance was more foggy than expected, was actually somewhat surprised. Very good carbonation and great head retention.

Smell was of high citrus and decent hop aromas. Sweet, smells of grapefruit and pine took over the aromas. Taste was a good IPA that definitely had a light California feel to it. Mouthfeel was light yet became malty near the end. Extremely smooth going down with perfectly balanced carbonation.

Overall it's a good IPA for the price. It has a good taste but could use more hop and earthy tones to it, citrus was fairly overwhelming.

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

FACTION 1913: BEER OF THE WEEK

Welcome to our new feature, Beer of the Week. Every week we will put down that yellow gold that everyone calls "fizzy piss" and experience some of the finer things in life. We will also be osting our reviews to BeerAdvocate so join us over there for a good time.

This weeks brew is straight out of sunny suburban South Orange County's Cismontane Brewing. Coulter is a Rye IPA, which according to the internet means malted rye was substituted for some of the barley malt and the rest is hop forward like a standard American IPA.

My pint glasses were all dirty so I drank it out of a tiki mug because it was easier than doing dishes right now, but in order to make sure i did a thorough review I poured some of the bottle into a clear Mickey Mouse souvenir cup so I can see the color and head and shit. It poured a nice looking clear orangish-amber color and had pretty dense head.

First sip was intense. The rye really came through for me, which is good because who doesn't like pastrami on rye... but then the rest of it really started to develop. I started to notice citrus flavors like grapefruit and a decent amount of pine too. The malty flavor were nice and just kinda hung around in the background until they got a little more noticeable on the finish.

It felt smooth and a little thicker than I expected (that's what she said) and I didn't get a lot of sediment so t seemed really clean.

I smelled it, and felt like a complete douchebag while doing so. It smells like it taste, which is pretty good.

I think on a 1 to 5 scale I'd probably give this a 3. When the 7-11 has 100 beer options now this one doesn't seem to exciting.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.4/5  rDev -5%

Vintage: 2013
Appearance: Translucent, Gold-Copper; Huge, Foamy Head; Vigorous Carbonation; Great Lace
Smell: Lemon Rind; Sweet Orange; Tangerine; Floral Hops
Taste: Tangerine; Lime; Lemon Rind; Bisquit Malts; Rye Spice
Mouth-feel: BIG carbonation, almost Champagne; Medium Body; Dry Finish
Overall: Good Rye IPA;
Comments: I would like more hop bitterness and rye spice to match the heavy fruitiness. Seems stylistically confused… is it an IPA or a Rye-IPA?

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%