Black's Nocturne | Cismontane Brewing Company

Black's NocturneBlack's Nocturne

Cismontane Brewing Company
cismontanebrewing.blogspot.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

We took everyone’s favorite Imperial Stout (sans coffee) and aged it for nearly a year in fresh Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels, which we then blended in an attempt to tame the bourbon beastliness. Creamy vanilla and smooth oak on the nose complement and round out the roasted, bitter chocolate characteristics. A kiss of bourbon booziness on the palate provides the perfect finish for this rich and decadent tribute to the dark months ahead. Be prepared…winter is coming.

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 09-23-2012

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

beautiful sweet aroma of some whiskey, grapes, oak..... reminds me very much of the best Eclipse I ever had, but with some grape to it(?). rich, semi-chocolate-y and mellow. creamy, mellow roastiness on the sides of the tongue, sweet on the back. this is supposed to be a 2012 bottle (thank you sir!) but it was one of my ultimate target brews and never got to taste one fresh off the line. I can imagine how it may have matured though and the mellowness is very evident. finally got to try this!

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Commentary: So I have a couple homebrewing friends who talk about this beer as if they’d give their left testicle for a bottle. If they were regular bottle geeks (rare beer fans who don’t brew) I’d find it quaint, but these guys are both good brewers in their own right. That means labels don’t mean squat – it’s the beer that counts. With that in mind, I bought a bottle when I found it. It’s a barrel aged Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

Appearance 4.0: Black, impenetrable, a liquid eclipse – and not a FiftyFifty Eclipse (it’s better) – in a bottle. Head like the froth on a hot chocolate, dissipates quickly, laces gently.

Aroma 4.5: Bourbon vanilla, Coca Cola syrup, cocoa liquor (pure chocolate in its liquid form), and a touch of maple. A delicate roast like and angel fell in a campfire.
Flavor 4.75: Chocolate ganache, crème brulee caramelized crust, campfire burnt marshmallows.

Mouthfeel 4.75: Full and creamy, slight astringency around the edges from roast in the long (luxurious) finish.

Overall Impression 5.00: An interesting note; my second pour from the bottle had a small pellicle. Like a brown, boogery, loogie, foamy, phlegm, floater. What did I do? I am a brewer and fermentor. I make cheese, spontaneous fermented pickles, eat “stinky” fermented tofu. I fear no floater – it’s from a barrel ferchrisakes, it happens. I found a fork, flung the floater in the sink, and finished the bottle.

So, regarding my aforementioned friends and their testicles. Left, right, whatever – I’d be tempted to trade my own for a bottle. Someone stole the chocolate left on God’s pillow after they turn down his bed, liquefied it, beerified it, bourbon barrelified it, and bottled it. I will take as many of these as you can find – please.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

750mL bottle from jpaco47 (thanks so much man!). No noticeable bottling info. Served in a Three Floyds teku.

Pours black with two fingers of fluffy tan head. The head fades slowly and leaves small spots of lace.

Smells of oaky bourbon, coffee, roast and sweet cream.

No surprises in the taste. Follows the nose well with oaky vanilla, creamed coffee, bourbon, dark chocolate, burnt caramel,

Semi syrupy medium body with mild carbonation. Bourbon infused coffee finish.

A nice barrel aged imperial stout. Not a whole lot of depth but what's there is really tasty.

Black's Nocturne from Cismontane Brewing Company