Iron Horse I.P.A. | Mountain Town Brewing Co.

good
Iron Horse I.P.A.Iron Horse I.P.A.

Mountain Town Brewing Co.
mountaintownbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Added by oberon on 04-29-2003

3.6

1.66/5  rDev -53.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A - Pale orange with a white head on top

S - A lightly toasted malt smell... umm where is the hops? Where is the aroma? I am struggling to get what I listed.

T - The toasted malt comes through followed by a hint of what tastes like soap

M - light to medium with a fair amount of carbonation

D - Awful beer. I don't even think I can finish this one. Aftertaste on this reminds me of vomit. Oh well... you live you learn I won't be picking this one up again. Hopefully the other beer I have from this brewery is better.

2.11/5  rDev -41.4%

Purchased bottled in Michigan.

Appearance is a medium cloudy amber, with slight white head (this was poured into a sample glass, so head is usually compromised in that case)

Scent: I got almost no scent from this when cold, just minimal malty grains. A bitter caramel malty scent came through as it warmed.

Medium carbonation, I'm going to describe it around 2 minutes off of the cold-bottle pour as more flavors were noticed then. Bitter hops to alcohol-burn/medicinal herb flavor to a citrus/herb body. Effervescence lingers on the palate a bit, along with a lingering bitterness that I don't really care for and can't describe the notes of throughly enough.

I did not finish my sample glass of this, which is rare for me, as the scent of the beer was giving me an immediate and massive headache.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer was just a enough above horrible to keep me from dumping it on someone else's micro-beer party. Sour taste.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - light cloudy amber. Very little head - though I shared the bottle with my wife, poured into sample glasses. Usually though, heady beers show their head in these glasses.

Scent - very little. Perhaps a slight non-specific "bitter" scent.

Taste - moderate hop bitterness. A slight alcohol/medicinal taste. Very little malt; though slightly more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - fairly thin. Not quite water, but not "medium" either. Medium carbonation.

Overall, the beer isn't terrible, but I wouldn't seek it out or choose it over any other craft IPA.

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer poured a cloudy light copper color and formed a foamy off white head that left latticed lace as it quickly subsided. An aroma of malt, hops and pepper. The flavor was of malt, hops and pepper. The body was medium light and the finish bitter and slightly burnt. A fairly pedestrian IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Iron Horse pours a deep copper color. It’s hazier than I expected. Looks a little orange with light behind it. Perhaps a little red too. The head is off-white and stands about a finger tall. It dissipates quickly. Lacing was a little sticky, but definitely on the light side.

The nose is underwhelming. It kicks off with a pretty strong, sweet caramel/toffee scent. Eh. Not my favorite thing in an American IPA. Hops are easily noted and add citrus orange and strong piney notes. A toasted malt scent kicks in late. I’m not a big fan of that in American IPAs either. Smells pretty balanced. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but doesn’t smell too strong. Eh. Not that great.

The flavor is rather average. It does have a caramel malt base that is sweet. It’s too prominent for an American IPA. Toasted malts are also in the mix. Hops finally emerge. They are quite piney. Citrus orange is also noted. There’s a slight hint of bitterness, but it’s quickly lost in the avalanche of malt. It’s fair to say that it’s quite balanced. Alcohol is blended fairly well. It’s a little noticeable, but isn’t too prominent. Finishes sweet with a piney hop flavor.

Iron Horse has a medium body. Carbonation is relatively light and soft. For what it’s worth, it feels pretty smooth. If I liked the flavor more, it’d be even more satisfying. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case.

Iron Horse I.P.A. is my first experience with Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. I was really hoping for more. Frankly, it’s just too malty and balanced for an American IPA. At least as far as my preferences go. Less malt and more hops would immediately improve this one. All in all, it’s very average for the style. It doesn’t do much to distinguish itself. It might be worth a try, but that’s about it.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

The beer presents as a nice amber cloudy, withe very nice head. Pleanty of lacing hangs on the glass.
Sweet pale malts are the most prevelant but a citrus aroma is present and lingers, nice.
The taste is sweet to start with a smooth carbonation to start. The finish is full of carbonation it is a little weak in the hops deparent, that said it does taste good, call it a pale and I would by it.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

I have to say this beer is getting better from a year ago when I was here last,pours a deep copper color with medium head that dissapates pretty quickly.Smell of some hops but not to much aroma,taste is somewhat bitter with a decent malty background.Highly drinkable though and went well with the scottish eggs I had.Still a work in progress here but its getting better.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Batch # on the label says 100246, but could not find any information on their website about codes or bottling dates. But, my local guy recommended this as new arrival and expected it to be fresh. Pours a slightly hazy amber colored body with a hint of yellow. Nice two-finger head that leaves some stickly lacing.

Smells fresh. Nice hop aroma, mostly citrus, sweet orange and a hint of grapefruit. Nice floral hop notes complete a favorable hop aroma. A little biscuity malt follows.

The flavor is a little underwhelming. The hops do not come through as much as I would have expected from the aroma. More malt forward with a stronger caramel and bready malt taste up front. Some hop bitterness accompanies the malt, and leans more toward the grapefruit and pine side.

Medium mouthfeel, no real notice of the alcohol. Would have much prefered a reversal on the flavor profile with the hops up front and coming on strong. Not the case here, so not a big fan of this one.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer was a very fruity IPA, I usually really enjoy IPA's and this one was fairly good. The initial aroma was very fruity and the taste followed that profile as well. I thought it was a pretty good blend of fruit flavors and the natural hops flavoring of a typical IPA.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Standard IPA color, copper with a small head. Aromas are grainy fruity hops and caramel, and they show up again in the flavors. Reminds me of a Red Hook IPA. Body's fine. One of the few just mediocre brews I had while back in MI. Not awful, but when there are so many better local IPAs (Bells, Founders, Short, Dark Horse, etc.) out there, why bother?

Iron Horse I.P.A. from Mountain Town Brewing Co.