Lily Flagg Milk Stout | Straight To Ale

Added by Todd on 04-21-2010

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

2.31/5  rDev -36.4%

I'm not sure if this was a bad batch, but this is the fourth can that I opened from a six-pack, and all have nearly exploded once popped open. For this fourth one, I gingerly opened it, but still loads of foam came rushing out. The head, of which there's a ton, is dark tan. The beer is a very dark brown. Slight metallic smell, some chocolate notes and roasted malt. As with the others from this six-pack, I had to let the beer sit for a while after I poured it into a pint glass before tasting. Even after the head went down (which took a good 10 minutes and multiple smaller pours so it didn't overflow), the beer is overly carbonated. Tasting is hampered by the thin beer expanding through carbonation in the mouth - it's like I had a sip of beer and then threw back some alka seltzer. Bitter chocolate, mineral, some hickory flavors. Disappointing.

2.36/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at the Nook into a standard pint glass. Just to be clear, I have loved all Straight to Ale beers insofar and this review disappoints me. Alas, I drank it and noted it, so I should put in my two cents.

A: Very dark brown, pretty much black color. A surprisingly white head made for a stark contrast but receded to practically nothing quickly.

S: The smell of this beer was pungent and a little bitter, believe it or not. From a milk stout I expect a fuller aroma, and the last thing I want is something that smells sour. The sour smell, mixed with "milk" stout, just conjures the image that this beer went bad.

T: Sadly, the taste is worse than the smell. While I may like my chicken sweet and sour from time to time, I never want my beer that way. While the sour taste isn't exactly strong, it is the most prominent taste. There is a sweetness to accompany the sourness, and this really only serves to augment the sourness.

M: For a beer of this color, it's rather thin and bubbly. More carbonation than I expected, which I wouldn't necessarily take points off for, but when ordering any sort of stout, I expect a fuller mouth feel than this. Honestly, it was thinner than the average brown ale.

O: I'm really sorry, Straight to Ale, but I have to mark this beer pretty low. I love you guys and your beer, especially living in Huntsville, but this was not a success. I dearly hope that I just got a bad batch or something.

2.57/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This is not a good milk stout. It's oddly over carbonated which masks the texture you would expect from a milk stout. Avoid at all costs.

2.59/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.72/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Based on the review before mine, I must have one of the over-carbed cans as well.

A- poured into a pint glass, when I poured the first 1/3 of the can into the glass, it consisted of 75% foam. Took nearly 10 minutes to get the entire beer in the glass. Once it settled down it had a dark tan foamy head with no lace, dark brown in color.

S- roasted and grainy malt with a touch of chocolate, slight metallic finish

T- metallic taste follows the nose, however underneath there is a nice sugary-milky sweetness that complements the roasted chocolate notes pretty well, finish is sweet with more chocolate. There's some good flavors in here, they're just not meshing.

M- medium body, high carbonation, fizzy mouthfeel and finish. This has got to be over-carbed.

O- perhaps the bad batch, this one has potential but everything seems just a bit off. Might give this one another try if I see it again.

2.76/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce can into a can-shaped glass.

The pour produces tons of frothy oatmeal-colored head. It settles into a sudsy lace over the pitch-black body. 4.25

Not feeling this nose at all. Smells of Belgian yeast like a dubbel. What? Where's the milk? Where's the chocolate malt? 2

Still tasting Belgian yeast here, as in it's very pronounced and floral. Tastes out of place in a coffee stout but at least I'm getting some dark chocolate and coffee flavors here. 3

It's thin bodied and the yeast figures prominently. Points for being easy-drinking and a dry, coffee-like, roasted feeling, but this beer feels like it's confused as to what it wants to be. 2.75

A bit of a disappointment. Expectations weren't high but this still managed to disappoint.

2.91/5  rDev -19.8%

16 ounce pint - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Pours out a dark brown body crowned with a inch-high pillow of tan froth.

Smell: Weak, placid notes giving you just a little impression of roast, toast, and near-the-expiration-date milk. Not much going on here, frankly.

Taste: Blackened malt, some lighter toasty accents with just the teensiest pinch of chocolate powder. Light sweetness. A touch of fruit, bitter, and milk character. Just a little roast on the bland, albeit clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium, bubbly carbonation.

Overall: Straight to Eh.

2.92/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. The can almost blew up on the car ride back from Alabama, which I've never seen before - all my other beer was fine. A little nervous about cracking this one.

A: Despite a couple weeks in the fridge this is one of the most overcarbonated beers I've ever had - even a super slow, delicate pour down the side of the glass fills 90% of the tulip with frothy tan foam. On the plus side, the head is dense enough to stand up a full inch above the rim without even a chance of overflowing, but on the downside it takes fully 10 minutes just to empty the can. Even after all that head, though, there's no lace. Disappointing.

S: Not bad here, with a pleasant mixture of dark chocolate, brownie batter, lactose, and some nuttiness. Pretty intense for a 5% beer, with a good balance of sweetness and roastiness. Solid.

T: Not nearly as good here, sadly, with a strong metallic streak marring an otherwise middle-of-the-road Milk Stout. There's still some nice dark chocolate maltiness and a good bit of coffee bitterness on the finish, but the harsh metallic aftertaste just thins things out and makes the overall experience a little bit of a chore.

M: Still highly carbonated, which I'm ok with. Sometimes a beer that explodes into a huge head winds up feeling thin and flat, but this has maintained a decently creamy (if not terribly thick) mouthfeel.

O: Even if this weren't overcarbonated it would only be about average. I'm always happy to try a new canned craft beer, but I'm glad I didn't get a sixpack. Straight to Ale brews some tasty beers, but I can't recommend this one.

Cheers!