Unobtanium Barrel-Aged Old Ale | Straight To Ale

Straight To Ale
Alabama, United States
straighttoale.com

Style: Old Ale

Unobtanium is a barrel-aged English-style Old Ale that ages for six months in a bourbon barrel, soaking up all sorts of amazing whiskey character as well as hints of oak and vanilla. The name was taken from an old aerospace/engineering term for a specific material or object (often imaginary, impossible or highly improbable to obtain) needed to complete any given project.

And, before you ask, we did not take the name from the elusive metal in Avatar. James Cameron reportedly named the substance as an inside joke to his fellow techie/gear-heads. Our version is much tastier, though.

Added by t0rin0 on 06-18-2010

1.61/5  rDev -60.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours without being easily upset. Upon pouring immediately smelled what first seemed like bananas. Thought it was the bananas beside me. Nope, it was the beer. Feels smooth going down and has significant bite followed by that warm feeling of whiskey.

Poured into and drank from a chilled 22oz stein.

Overall, I despise it. I love Bourbon and I love beer, but this Bourbon beer fad is terrible. It literally tastes just like someone put a shot of terrible whiskey into a marginal beer. Granted, this one is better than some, but I would not characterize any of this genre as "good" beer.

Another brewery in the area produces a similar beer called "Wee Heavy Ale." It is even worse. Same concept, beer mixed with whiskey.

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this particular beer. You definitely can taste the bourbon. But as I've experienced before with these high alcohol content beers, they just taste like fancy malt liquor, and it's just not something I'm a fan of.

To be fair, I primarily only bought this beer because of the label. I'm a chemist and I just can't resist science-y inspired booze.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

3.13/5  rDev -23.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. Deep amber body with a medium khaki head. Nose is dark fruits and booze. Bourbon. Tastes really sweet. Brighter fruits, but still fruity. Bourbon in the back end. Heavy sugars in this one. Well carbonated and very sweet. Way too sweet for me.

3.34/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

big and boozy, like the holiday treat 'burbon balls' in liquid form; it's a sipper and one I wish I was sharing rather than knocking back solo; Great example of the style, but not a personal fave that I will seek out again

Unobtanium Barrel-Aged Old Ale from Straight To Ale