Monkey's Uncle IPA | Straight To Ale

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ncfranklin on 02-04-2011

4.92/5  rDev +27.1%

4.76/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Even better and than Monkeynaut and with more kick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a great golden yellow with a medium white head. The aroma is mild hops. The taste is a unique creamy hop flavor. Really good.

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'll be a Monkey's Uncle! I just opened a box from Uncle JedI & Purple Hat Joan and it was an indulgence of two of my favorite beer-related things: CANned beer & embroidered cloth patches! It is good to have friends nationwide and worldwide to CANnect with.

From the CAN: A serious, pipe-smoking simian stares out from above his reading glasses at me. I do not understand why, as I liked his nephew, Monkeynaut.

Usually, when I Crack! open a CAN of beer, the Crack! is all that I hear, but tonight, it has been animal noises. First it was a lowing cow, now it is a chattering monkey! Did they throw Pleepleus in the CAN?!? I employed an inverted Glug to shut him up and it worked, but I was met with three fingers of massive, rocky, tawny head with such amazing retention that I began to regret my decision to go that route. I'm thirsty and this is getting in my way! Sticky lacing began to form as it fell and I suddenly regretted lending my jackhammer to my neighbor as that was the only way I was removing that sticky mess. Nose was redolent with tropical fruits - pineapple, mango and coconut. My mouth went into overdrive in terms of watering. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity. Mouthfeel was full and viscous on my tongue. It was more like a dollop than a draught! Man, but the tropical fruit flavors hit my tastebuds like the landing craft at Normandy. For the fools, I mean, people who eschew hoppy beers at this point in time, you have no idea what you are missing! This was not overly bitter, but it was definitely hoppy. It had a really dank quality to it, like putting your nose in a baggie of a hybrid. Finish was likewise fruity, but not hot, overwhelming or any other CANplaints that I read about DIPAs. Now, at 7.75% ABV, a couple at a time would probably suffice.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Tried this one at "The Nook" in Huntsville.

I asked the bartender if he recommended an IIPA and he didn't hesitate, Monkey's Uncle was served in a Pint glass.

The bartender stated that it was a batch that he believed had not reached the ABV for Gorillanaught.

If this was a "goof" by Straight to Ale, I hope they kept this recipe. This was one of the best tasting Imperial IPA's I have tasted this year.

I found this one really Wet Hopped probably with Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade Hops. Much like the wet hopped Harvest Ale Sierra Nevada did this year but not quite Hoptimum's higher alcohol feel..

This one was balanced on the hop side but a smoothed out ester cut in after the first sip and then finished with a "polite" hop finish.

Really smooth though but not excessively Ester or Alcohol.

I consider this a real winner.

Lacing was ribboned on the glass in a pale - white hue.

This would be a "hopheads" dream.

Not sure of the ABV or IBUs but I will take a guess at 7.5 - 8 on the ABV and the IBU;s must be close to 85 or 90.

Really good product for what appears to be a "one and done."

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Color of burnished gold leading toward red, bright cap with very good lacing.

Aroma is surprisingly bright, the hops jump out in an earthy, spicy way and malt quickly follows. Very good first impression. Some floral, hint of conifer, solid without being heavy.

Taste on entry is solid malt with hop support. This is a bigger, bolder and stronger, true Imperial brew. The website says 8%, no mention I can find of IBUs, hops are there but not intrusive, certainly not the focal point, malt are the main actor and hops play a supporting role. Mid palate hops arrive and sing the way to the finish. Lots of hops but bitterness is noticeable only in the aftertaste where it lingers just slightly.

Texture is full with balancing carbonation.

Overall the initial impression is full hops, I mean when you open the can this one hits you with a hop aroma discernable three feet away, yet that's just part of the picture. As you pour then lift to sip you're thinking hops but no, what presents is rich malt with hops following. Bit of a surprise but a nice one. Full on malt with good hop counterpoint.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%