Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rocket City Red | Straight To Ale

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by NODAK on 09-16-2012

Reviews by NODAK:
3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

Aroma was mildly fruity and bready. Fairly sweet. Pretty standard for the style really.

In my pint glass from the brewery, it pours a dark, blood red...with a thin but fairly tight head.

This is a very mild red ale, which I'm guessing is what they were going for by reading the website. They wanted a sessionable beer, which is certainly what this is. Mildly sweet in the body....but restrained and unremarkable. Kind of has an apple character. Hops are completely absent in this one....and when I say that, I mean that I do percept any at all. There's a slight note of chocolate malt near the finish....some breadiness appears on the finish as well, which is altogether pretty thin and watery.

This is fine, but wasn't worth the price I paid for the growler. I get trying to make an approachable, sessionable ale, but it doesn't have to be absent of flavor.

1.99/5  rDev -46.5%

This beer was so carbonated, I could not even drink it; in fact, as it sat, it bubbled out and over the top of the can. In transporting them home, one exploded through the top of the can (leaving the seal in tact and rather ripping through the top wall of the can). To experiment, I agitated one can once it was open to remove all carbonation, and was left with half a beer with some really sub-par flavors.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had picked this CAN up through a fellow enthusiast at a BCCA CANvention, but I had to set it aside while I took & submitted the pic on file for approval. In the interim, I noticed that it had CANtinued to ferment in the CAN & pooched up the top/lid on the CAN! This is not the first time that I have experienced this phenomenon in their beers & frankly, it is disappointing.

From the CAN: "Proudly Brewed and Packaged by Straight to Ale Huntsville, AL 35801 Southern Born Southern Brewed".

I Crack!ed it open, not knowing what to expect & when it did not gush, I quickly performed an inverted Glug to get it into my awaiting glass. The quick pour raised a finger of dense, foamy, light-tan head with decent retention. Color was a lightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose had a strong bready, malty sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was very malty, quite sweet, very bready, but without much hoppiness to offset it. The finish was likewise very sweet, and while not out of keeping for the style, it was a) not my bag & b) a real pain for which I refuse to award the brewers.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Surprised by this one, flavorful and easy to drink. The carbonation and head is incredible, could not pour it all in your standard pint glass. Malt and spice flavor that lingers. Love the can art.

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Zoobrew, Jackson, MS (poured into a taster glass)

A: Rocket red for sure with a thin tan half finger head that dissipated fast. Decent lacing.

S: Bready malts, some cherries.

T: Follows nose with a lightly sweet and sessionable drinkability. Drinks more like an Irish red without the hop action.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: I was very pleasantly surprised with this new entry from STA. Since I was pouring at Zoobrew, I ended up blending RCR with a Brother Joseph and got a terrific taste from the two. Sweet and solid.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rocket City Red from Straight To Ale