The Great Dismal Black IPA | O'Connor Brewing Co.

The Great Dismal Black IPAThe Great Dismal Black IPA

O'Connor Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
oconnorbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

The Great Dismal Black IPA, named after the wildlife refuge.
The Great Dismal Swamp, in Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina, once used as a part of the Intracoastal Waterway, is a dark, full bodied ale, extensively hopped both in bittering and aroma.
"Great with bold hop flavor, Dismal in color, Delicious all around" ~ 7.5% ABV 65 IBUs

Added by blackie on 11-20-2010

Been drinking this beer on tap at Cogan's Pizza in Norfolk for awhile. I've also had it in a bottle and I'll have to say on tap is much more delicious and you can actually get some good coffee aromas from it.

The only thing that is slightly misleading about this brew is the taste. Don't get me wrong its delicious, but its more of a stout with a hint of coffee. To me its lacking the tartness that makes a good double IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

I've had this many times, most recently on tap from Baron's pub in ptown in a 32 ounce mug.

When I first tried it, this beer went immediately to my top 5. It pours a dark black. Friends joked I was drinking 10w-30 motor oil. Very drinkable. I actually had two 32 ounce mugs last time I had.

If ever given the chance, enjoy this brew!

4.85/5  rDev +25%

Shared a pitcher at the new Green Leafe in Williamsburg, VA.

I'd never heard of this brewery before, and I was very impressed by this offering. It drinks very much like a good stout. The flavor and mouthfeel were the most impressive aspects of this beer. Not heavily carbonated, and the bubbles are very small, to the point of almost being creamy. It reminded me of drinking Old Rasputin on nitro, in some ways.

It's got solid a hop profile, and the bitterness is present but not overwhelming. Just enough to balance the dark roasted malt flavors, without overpowering them.

I'll definitely be having this again. I look forward to trying some of their other beers.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Great blend of ipa and porter with nice finish. I was hesitant to try, great fall beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

Exceptional Black IPA

On draft at The Point in Buxton Nc

Liked it so much we got a 5gal keg
I'm thinking this is more in 8.5 abv range.
It hits pretty hard but that's just me.

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Dark, dark reddish brown when held up to light, black otherwise with a tan head that dissolves into a little smokey residue layer on top. Not very much lacing to speak of. 4.0

S - Strong hoppy, floral notes up front with subtle smoked malt and firewood scents supporting it. Really interesting and unusual compared to what I'm used to, but it works really well! 4.5

T - Deliciously malty but not too sweet on the tip of the tongue, followed by mellow citrusy (citric acid? lemon zest? can't tell) flavors in the middle, and then a strong hop kick at the end. Really well-balanced. Simply put, I think the taste is fantastic and really well-done. 5.0

M - Light bodied with little carbonation tingle. I think this is fitting for the beer and works well with the taste. 4.5

O - The Great Dismal Black IPA is yet another example of Virginia breweries crafting cutting-edge brews. It's a brilliant cross between a porter and an IPA, and if you like either one I'm sure you'll enjoy this. 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

great malt-to-hop ratio for this style

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

I had this hand bottled for me from miamilice (thanks man) in a recent trade.

A - Vigorous pour leaves about 2 fingers of tan colored head. Nice amounts of lacing. Black/dark brown in color.

S - Mostly roasted malts and coffee. Lots of hops as well. Smells very good.

T - Sweeter then i thought actually. Nice coffee/malty taste up front followed by a very nice hop bitterness. Very nicely balanced beer.

M - Very easy to drink. Not overly carbonated.

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I split the first bottle i got with a few friends and they really enjoyed it as well. Im a big fan of black IPA's.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a big malt aroma with a hint of coffee. Appearance- This beer is dark brown to almost black, with a small beige head. Taste- Has a big hop and malt flavor, very good. Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Overall- An excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really have a hard time reviewing beers for a couple of reasons. First, being new at this I don't provide the standard review but figure as long as I'm honest that's all that matters. Second is that I've not much in the smell department. I guess I can blame that on 24 years in the military.
Anyway, this beer is a wonderful deception. I've drank enough IPAs to know what to expect as the nectar breaches my lips to coat my tongue. It's DARK - polar opposite of pale. This feels and tastes much more like a very nice stout, one that I'd put up to the best out there.
The head was quick to rise and slow to dissipate, with Klingons all around the glass for the entire consumption. Nice smoky aftertaste mixed with coffee and maybe a wee bit of chocolate. The hops are there from start to swallow. Very nice if you're not after the typical IPA or want a little breakaway from the same-ol'-same-ol'.
Looking forward to visiting the brewery for Father's Day! I'll see if they'll let me take a photo or two to post.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

Had on tap at A.W. Shucks in Norfolk, VA

A- Pitch black w/ a 2 finger thick tan foam head. Thin lacing all down the glass as you drink.

S- This one was very complex. Every sniff presented a different aroma. Espresso coffee, caramel malts, vanilla, fruit, cream, dark cinnamon, and some spices.

T- Flavor of chocolate and dark roast coffee, good hop flavor, some caramel with some bitters on the back with a long finish.

M- smooth with a creamy medium body. Clean finish

O- Has the look and flavor of a stout with the carbonation and bitterness of an IPA. What a wonderful beer. By far one of this brewery's best.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%

The Great Dismal Black IPA from O'Connor Brewing Co.