The Great Dismal Black IPA | O'Connor Brewing Co.

The Great Dismal Black IPAThe Great Dismal Black IPA

O'Connor Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
oconnorbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

The Great Dismal Black IPA, named after the wildlife refuge.
The Great Dismal Swamp, in Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina, once used as a part of the Intracoastal Waterway, is a dark, full bodied ale, extensively hopped both in bittering and aroma.
"Great with bold hop flavor, Dismal in color, Delicious all around" ~ 7.5% ABV 65 IBUs

Added by blackie on 11-20-2010

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Great blend of ipa and porter with nice finish. I was hesitant to try, great fall beer.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had this beer in DoG cafe in Williamsburg, NC. Great craft Gastropub. This beer was great to go along with my English themed meal. Great presentation, perfect head, wonderful aroma, great taste and mouthfeel. Perfect to go along with my Shepherds Pie.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really have a hard time reviewing beers for a couple of reasons. First, being new at this I don't provide the standard review but figure as long as I'm honest that's all that matters. Second is that I've not much in the smell department. I guess I can blame that on 24 years in the military.
Anyway, this beer is a wonderful deception. I've drank enough IPAs to know what to expect as the nectar breaches my lips to coat my tongue. It's DARK - polar opposite of pale. This feels and tastes much more like a very nice stout, one that I'd put up to the best out there.
The head was quick to rise and slow to dissipate, with Klingons all around the glass for the entire consumption. Nice smoky aftertaste mixed with coffee and maybe a wee bit of chocolate. The hops are there from start to swallow. Very nice if you're not after the typical IPA or want a little breakaway from the same-ol'-same-ol'.
Looking forward to visiting the brewery for Father's Day! I'll see if they'll let me take a photo or two to post.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

The Great Dismal Black IPA from O'Connor Brewing Co.