Tread Lightly Ale | New Planet Beer Company

newplanetbeer.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by Rayek on 05-22-2010

2.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Another beer courtesy of the captain of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some grains, a bit musty. Taste is of sorghum, light apple, bitter, but not in a good way. Feels light in the mouth and overall, for a gluten free beer, it's not all that bad, but I'll pass on another.

3.33/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.02/5  rDev -59.7%

1.96/5  rDev -22.5%

I reviewed this, in bottle format, a little over two years ago. Subsequent to that, I picked up a CAN in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm) & since today in NBS (Week 602) and I just choked down a JB's A Capella, I figured that I would take the opportunity to divest myself of some of the Gluten-Free backlog.

From the CAN: "CRAFTED TO REMOVE GLUTEN. New Planet TREAD LIGHTLY ALE is fermented from grains containing gluten and crafted to remove gluten. The gluten content of this product cannot be verified and this product may contain gluten." What a cop-out!

I Crack!ed open the CAN and was surprised to get a spray across my fingertips. This was acCANponied by some foaming through the vent, which upon settling, revealed a brimful craft CAN. Normally, I would rejoice, but this gluten free jazz was really winding me up good, so I turned it upside down for an inverted Glug and a sound spanking. This produced two fingers of foamy, rocky, bone-white head that hung in surprisingly well. Color was marginally Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5) with NE-quality clarity (just not light enough to be deemed "Straw") & I awaited the arrival of The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Mammon & Midas. I was not disappointed, but they were! One sniff and they turned tail and exited Stage Left. Nose had a faint lemony-biscuity scent, but it still smelled off somehow. Mouthfeel was thin and one rung above watery. The taste was lemon & biscuit, but with a cheesy tang that I could really do without. Finish was dry, but I was left with an unpleasant cheesy taste in my mouth. Ugh.

I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up.

From the bottle: "Part of profits go to trail restoration."; "Ale made from sorghum and corn extract".

I have come to realize that there are no lees in these bottles, so there is nothing standing in the way of an aggro pour. Booyah! Two fingers of foamy, fizzy, bone-white head with poor retention, but at least there was nice lacing in its wake. Color was straw-yellow (SRM = 1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. I must say, when the beer that I am taking in is clearer and lighter than what I am flushing out, I am left highly dubious. It is also interesting that just a few beers in on this misadventure, and I am able to recognize the presence of sorghum on the nose. It is much like my sensitivity to corn as an adjunct/filler in AALs, having reviewed so many in the early days of The CANQuest (TM). But I digress ... It has a sharp sourness that really penetrates the sinuses, a cross between apple vinegar and being in an over-chlorinated pool environment. I do not find this at all pleasant. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste was, once more, a tart apple cider-like flavor. I understand that I am not the target audience for these beers, but I am not sure that I would foist this on my colleague without some advance warning on what to expect. Would someone with Celiac taste this differently? I do not know, but I certainly hope so! Finish was dry, tart, slightly vinous, refreshing in an odd way, but not enough to be redeeming.

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

1.75/5  rDev -30.8%

1.5/5  rDev -40.7%

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

1.32/5  rDev -47.8%

Branded now as NEW PLANET BLONDE ALE

Ok. So my mother is a celiac, I'm always looking for new stuff for her to try.

This beer is awful. Honestly, yes. I took one sip and poured it down the drain. I really didn't even take time to smell it, but as I took the first and only sip, what I got in flavor and aroma was disgusting. I didn't plan on reviewing this beer but it was so bad that I thought I might leave some notes for those out there to try and warn them off.

As soon as it hits the tongue all I got was plastic and insane amounts of bubblegum phenols, over the top. Absolutely terrible. After one sip, the rest went to the sink. I couldn't and wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. Redbridge is better than this, don't go here.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

2.77/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Apparently this "Tread Lightly" stuff is now being branded as simply "New Planet Blonde Ale". I like it, more to the point than before. Anyway, it pours a clear straw topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises soapy and funky wheat (I take this to be the sorghum), dry corn tortilla, and a dash of flowers. The taste holds notes of funky lemon zest, light cracked wheat, sweet flowers, and a kiss of honey. There's an odd and vague fruitiness pervading. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a frankly odd beer, one that just doesn't taste quite right to me to be in any way enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%