3R Raspberry Ale | New Planet Beer Company

newplanetbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by LittleDon on 08-21-2010

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

1.34/5  rDev -49.6%

3.75/5  rDev +41%

3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

2.85/5  rDev +7.1%

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Ale made from sorghum and corn extract".

Knowing the effect that raspberries have in conjunction with alcohol and the taste that sorghum imparts, I have a good feeling as to what this is going to be like. That said, I remain open minded. I utilized a somewhat gentle pour, which resulted in no head. Agitating it, I got a quick finger of fizzy pinkish foam that Color was a pinkish-amber (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the light sourness of sorghum along with a light tartness from the raspberries. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I am noticing a trend among these gluten-free beers. It must be like fat-free was to flavor in the late-1980s when that trend occurred. I realize that this is not a trend for a segment of the population and those people have my sympathy, but as a beer drinker of some note and frequency, this is not making it. The flavor was actually decent as the sorghum and raspberry worked well together, kind of balancing the equation. Not too tart, not too sour, but it still lacked Ooomph! How do I quantify Ooomph!? I just did not feel like I was drinking beer. I really felt like it was flavored seltzer water or an odd brand of soda pop. Finish was surprisingly dry and kind of refreshing, between its fizziness and its fruitiness. Again, seltzer water was not out of the picture.

2.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear light amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that gradually died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles in the center and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of raspberries are present in the nose along with strong notes of sorghum syrup.
T: Much like the smell, the taste starts out with tart flavors of raspberries but these quickly transition to tangy notes of sorghum.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little slick on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The raspberry purée helps to take a bit of the edge of this gluten-free beer but you can still smell and taste a lot of the sorghum, particularly in the finish.

2.62/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on January 4, 2014.

It looks decent anyway with its golden pour, great clarity, and smallish head. But that is about where its positive qualities end.

The aroma does have a touch of raspberry intermixed with pale malts but they seem stale. Buttery note. Paint thinner.

The body is average for the style in the light to medium range.

The raspberries in the taste seem artificial despite what the label says. There is a corn malt character going on too. I had a hard time liking the way it tasted. I had a hard time liking this beer in general.

1.8/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/10/13

A just a hint of pink in golden liquid, bubbles throughout but just a short lived noisy film that leaves no lace

S this is going to be a rough ride, smells like cheap tequila, musty moldy basement, a hint of raspberries but its overwhelmed by the nasty musty grains, reminds me of a cardboard box left under the snow all winter

T some wet moldy cardboard, sour rotten raspberries, sour corn, somehow this ones worse then the nose, just tastes rancid

M thin, almost watery, a few bubbles, I didn't really want to move this one around my mouth all that much as I didn't want to spread the flavor around

O nothing really goes well with this one, I couldn't finish the glass

almost drinkable but I couldn't quite do it, tastes and smells awful, I feel sorry for celiacs having to drink stuff like this

3R Raspberry Ale from New Planet Beer Company