Brainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Brainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale is has a rich and complex malt flavor balanced with a little bit of spicy noble hops and strong influences of fermentation esters from the Belgian yeast used. Various Belgian like Rock Candies, hops and grains are employed to express variations within the style. Deceivingly drinkable, some liken theses ales to Devil sneaking up on you, so consume responsibly.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-10-2010

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:

A complex, strong, sweet beer--personal favorite

4.93/5  rDev +30.8%

A delicate bodied Belgium strong ale of delicious golden colour with a rich and delightful flower aroma tasting of vanilla, light candied caramel, spicy hops and stronger malt, with a completely clean after-taste. Deceivingly drinkable. This an exceptional beer by any measure.

4.75/5  rDev +26%

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have been on an IPA kick lately and being in Utah you only get what the MAN will give you. I have found that IPA's are too bitter for me, that is why I am pleasantly surprised to find my new favorite beer, EPIC Brainless Belgian. I, like most of you, search the Utah Isles for decent alcohol content, which this beers falls into. Unlike most of the really bitter IPA'a, this has a rich, flavorful, content that will keep me coming back for more. Not bitter at all. LOVE!
Sorry that I am not as descriptive as some of you beer snobs. You do make me laugh though.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip.
Release #19. 8.3% abv.

A: Pours a clear golden with a one finger white head.
S: Candi sugar, clove, belgian funk.
T: It follows the aroma directly with some faint banana in the background, and no alcohol bite is present.
M: Smooth, light bodied, and well-carbonated.
O: Great example of a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. This is very close to Avery's Salvation, and I hope to enjoy the variations just as much whenever they show up here in NJ. To be honest, I'm not sure why this isn't rated higher, but perhaps batch variation from a small, growing brewery has something to do with it as well as the small sample size of reviews.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

This is the first beer from Epic I've tried. I have to say I am very impressed. It is a very good beer . I would recommend this beer to anyone. The smell and taste its all Good!! There is no foam and its light in color. Notice how I got a good buzz from drinking half the bottle. I can't wait to try more from EPic..

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been sampling the Epic Brewery ales for a few weeks now. I must say, they craft a wonderful line of beers!

Pours radiant sunshine gold - quite true to the name - with medium dense head that leaves appealing lacing after settling. Smells like fresh grain, very obvious malty aroma breaks through and overwhelms with barley and hay. To be expected, as this is a Belgian-style golden ale. While I cannot detect much complexity in the nose, I am very much satisfied with the earthy, grainy, sweetish smell.

First sip reveals the magnanimity of waves after waves of barley. This is a barley lover's beer. It tastes like biting into an apple pie - and yet there's barley...maybe a fresh pear? and, yet - there's still barley. And that's a good thing - barley does taste good. I probably would have opted for a bit more hops to balance it off, but I can see where they're coming from: they wanted to create a barley extravaganza.

It's a potent beer, and alcohol isn't masked - it's all there, wonderfully intertwining with the sweet grain and autumn leaf smell. A couple of sips - and it is it sure to get you thinking about a pumpkin pie, lonely barn and simpler times that are long gone.

A beer that makes barley a star - and puts you in a philosophical mood? A clear winner as far as I am concerned.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

22 oz. bottle. Release #6, 8.7% abv.

Slight haze in a lemony-gold body. A finger of tight, gauzy, off-white head. Sea air hop funk mixes with cotton candy, tropical fruit, bretty cobweb, and faint metallic notes. Very nice.

Bright, toasted, slightly sweet malts up front. Powdered sugar and tropical fruits build and grassy hops around edges. Peppery, herbal, mildly bitter hoppiness in the finish. Long finish with yeasty fruits, minor Brett funk, slightly warming alcohol, and banana aftertaste. Medium-full body with a lively feel. I really like the funky edge to this beer. Well done and tasty!

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The appearance and smell were basically the same in both bottles. The appearance was a nice looking hazy yet glossy burnt orange to ruddy brown color. The head was about a finger’s worth of white foaminess coating the top of the beer nicely. The head gracefully died at a nice pace leaving a nice clingy light foaminess around the sides of the glass. The smell had a nice authentic Belgian spiciness intertwining itself in between sweet malts and even letting in some light oranges to intermingle and dance underneath my nose. The taste took all of those previously mentioned flavors and seemed like it was almost perfectly blended into a really nice flavoring all around. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a sessionability that wanted to show but alas, it could not prove itself to be so. No worries as a sipper, this one danced around my palate skirting a sharpness to pummel but still allowing a nice gentle rolling smoothness every now and again. Overall, this was an absolutely wonderful offering from Epic more than worthy of having again.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

My first rating:

22 Oz bomber served in a pint glass (Release #2, 9.0 ABV).

A vigorous pour produced a scent that let me know this was a Belgian style beer. Simply smells like a Belgian.

Pours a hazy golden with quickly dissipating head and no lacing.

Taste is Belgian, through and through. I get bubblegum and banana flavors. A light sweet sensation as well as salty.

Palate: I am getting a medium body and sticky texture and a long finish. The carbonation is also right to style.

I really enjoyed this beer.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Served on draft.

Arrived a clear straw yellow with thin fizzy white head.

Smells extremely malty. Lots of biscuit going on with some banana character.

The taste is very malty almost to the point of being chalky. There are notes of clove and banana from the yeast but malt takes center stage.

Overall I enjoyed this beer. It is more malty than other Belgian Pale Ales I have had but that's good with me. It definitely drinks easier than a 8.3% beer.

Brainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale from Epic Brewing Company