Brainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale | Epic Brewing Company

Brainless Belgian-Style Golden AleBrainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Brainless Belgian-Style Golden Ale is has a rich and complex malt flavor balanced with a little bit of spicy noble hops and strong influences of fermentation esters from the Belgian yeast used. Various Belgian like Rock Candies, hops and grains are employed to express variations within the style. Deceivingly drinkable, some liken theses ales to Devil sneaking up on you, so consume responsibly.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-10-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 202
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

22 ounce bottle. Pours a cloudy orange color with a initially large foamy white head. The aroma is spicy malts, banana, sweet citrus. The flavor is rich and spicy; huge almost bitter spices, banana and cloves, sweet fruity malts. Clean and fluffy. Nice!

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

I have a day off from work, so why not enjoy a cold beverage? Here goes...

Spot-on with the color; it certainly is a golden ale. A bit cloudy, with a 2 cm wheat-colored head that dissolves quickly into clouds. Could be somebody.

It smells very grassy, and I don't get much else from it. I'm going full nose, and that's it. Maybe the taste will be a pleasant surprise.

Okay, it certainly tastes like a Belgian ale. The usual suspects (banana, grass, yeast, orange, florals) are in the lineup, and banana is the prime suspect. A bit of malty sweetness is in the mix as well, and the balance is pretty good. I'm impressed.

Mouthfeel is jolly good, almost great. Medium-bodied, well-carbonated, washes over the palate nicely, dry finish. Jolly good indeed.

Overall, a good drinking beer. Good with hot dogs. Enjoy.

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

Epic delivered one of the first notable beers I think I've had in a while. I'm still relatively new to Belgians in general, but I think this beer stood out. It poured a nice light golden color with a thick head. The aroma wasn't particularly intense to me, but the taste stood out. To my pallet, the golden ale brought a well-balanced flavor rich with citrus and spice. Mouthfeel was clean and crisp, despite being served relatively warm, and finished relatively clean. True, I took a nap about half way though due to the elevated ABV, but this was the first beer that separated itself for me in the last couple of weeks.

Also went great with a little jalepeno sausage.

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Was worried this would be flat as the pour produced absolutely no foam whatsoever. The hue itself is quite nice- a light, translucent amber. Aroma was hard to catch without a head on the beer, but did pick up some apricot, which was also the main notes to the taste. Effervescent, very boozy. Pretty satisfied with this.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, poured into a La trappe goblet.

A - Clear orange. Very orange in color. Pure white head, decent retention and good lacing.

S - Spicy, lots of spice. Corriander, orange peel. Yeasty as well which is good. Almost a slight sweetness from the Belgian yeast.

T - Almost the same as the nose, good spice really pleasant. The orange peel comes through well, but lots of spice to me. Yeasty and good. Not just orange though, good citrus to it.

M - Not as carbonated as I like my Belgian. Sorta missed the bubbles. Good otherwise.

O - First brew from Epic. Got off on the right foot for sure. Going to keep the brewery in mind for future reference.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Golden hazy yellow, light white fluffy head

S: Belgium funk all the way, very light and hay light grassiness

T: The belgium yeast is really all I am getting nothing particular about it.

Overall the brainless comes across as a basic belgium offering nothing to special about it, it does make a pretty good platform fot their other brainless offerings though

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been sampling the Epic Brewery ales for a few weeks now. I must say, they craft a wonderful line of beers!

Pours radiant sunshine gold - quite true to the name - with medium dense head that leaves appealing lacing after settling. Smells like fresh grain, very obvious malty aroma breaks through and overwhelms with barley and hay. To be expected, as this is a Belgian-style golden ale. While I cannot detect much complexity in the nose, I am very much satisfied with the earthy, grainy, sweetish smell.

First sip reveals the magnanimity of waves after waves of barley. This is a barley lover's beer. It tastes like biting into an apple pie - and yet there's barley...maybe a fresh pear? and, yet - there's still barley. And that's a good thing - barley does taste good. I probably would have opted for a bit more hops to balance it off, but I can see where they're coming from: they wanted to create a barley extravaganza.

It's a potent beer, and alcohol isn't masked - it's all there, wonderfully intertwining with the sweet grain and autumn leaf smell. A couple of sips - and it is it sure to get you thinking about a pumpkin pie, lonely barn and simpler times that are long gone.

A beer that makes barley a star - and puts you in a philosophical mood? A clear winner as far as I am concerned.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%

Look - Crystal clear, almost yellow green color (St. Patricks on the brain??), thin head, trace of lace (hah, it rhymed), fine champagne bubbles.

Smell - Smells like the green chili I had for breakfast..so, defaulting to a 4 on this because I seriously can't smell anything. Mabye that's good. I'd rather smell nothing than smell stanky dirty water or worse lemon dish soap smells that so many light saisons show.

Taste - Really nice. Not too much of anything. Clearly saison yeast, clearly pilsner or golden heavy grain bill and mild bitterness but nor floral or citrus from hops.

Feel - Nice carbonation on the back of the tongue, settles with a bit of mouth watering tartness.

Overall - So... it's 8am in denver and I'm drinking a saison at the aiport. overall, this beer is adding handily to a life that doesn't suck.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

This is the first beer from Epic I've tried. I have to say I am very impressed. It is a very good beer . I would recommend this beer to anyone. The smell and taste its all Good!! There is no foam and its light in color. Notice how I got a good buzz from drinking half the bottle. I can't wait to try more from EPic..

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

A: nice golden-yellow-brown color, clear, with good frothy head
S:Fruity, banana and clove, typical of a Belgian
T: Fruity, malty not much for an alcohol taste, a bit of banana and clove
M: creamy, full bodied
O:solid, what I expect from an American take on a Belgian style. First of the epic bombers for me but I will be trying more.

4.93/5  rDev +32.9%

A delicate bodied Belgium strong ale of delicious golden colour with a rich and delightful flower aroma tasting of vanilla, light candied caramel, spicy hops and stronger malt, with a completely clean after-taste. Deceivingly drinkable. This an exceptional beer by any measure.

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have been on an IPA kick lately and being in Utah you only get what the MAN will give you. I have found that IPA's are too bitter for me, that is why I am pleasantly surprised to find my new favorite beer, EPIC Brainless Belgian. I, like most of you, search the Utah Isles for decent alcohol content, which this beers falls into. Unlike most of the really bitter IPA'a, this has a rich, flavorful, content that will keep me coming back for more. Not bitter at all. LOVE!
Sorry that I am not as descriptive as some of you beer snobs. You do make me laugh though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last