Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sour Apple Saison | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Sweet, yet dry and tart, apples spiced with coriander, grains of paradise, anise, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger. There is no wrong way to enjoy this Saison Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale!

Added by Wasatch on 06-12-2010

3.7

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

22oz bottle from the brewery, $7.50. Release #2, 7.6% alcohol. Into my Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pale gold in color with a stark white head of about an inch that receded to an island of bubbles. Nice clarity on the initial pour. Appears to be quite violently carbonated from the nucleation point. Nice spots of lacing as this recedes.

S: Incredibly spicy yeast notes that shine in this one, just how I like a saison to be. Tons of esters, and there is a slight note of green apples as well, not like acetaldehyde, but of ripe apples. Sort of reminds me of cheap hairspray as well, not in a bad way, just what comes to mind.

T: Surprisingly tart, not sour but definitely tart, underneath that is the strong signature ester of a saison yeast. Green apples make up the majority of the tartness. Other notes of allspice come to mind as well. The tartness comes on more towards the end of the sip. Damn tasty. Not quite a 4.5 but close.

M: Spot on, lighter body, high carbonation, and a nearly bone dry finish. No alcohol heat, but just a little bit of warmth in the gullett. Very refreshing.

D: For the high abv, its pretty hidden, I could drink quite a few of these. Interesting enough to keep me coming back, yet not overwhelming in the least. This is a damn fine beer and I won't have any trouble finishing this bomber. Very nicely suited to this warm fall afternoon we're having in Eastern Utah.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Inflatablechair brought this one over to share with buckeyeboy and me. I will say, that I thought it was better than they did.

Pours with a thin white head with only hints of lacing and little retention.. the brew is very hazy lite straw golden... expected.

Pretty phenolic up front... almost too much.. tons of spice and hints of bandaid.. peppery.. lite clove... even cinnamon.. the phenols blow out almost all of the traditional and expected aromas... there is some pear that tries to come in, and the cardomom fucks things up.

Thankfully the palate has some nice fruity esters that come out up front... pear and green apple.. the phenols though are way too heavy in my opinion.. the bandaid plays with bazooka joe.. "real" spice shows toward the finish... cinnamon and lesser nutmeg.. I get how the fruity esters and the apple are "supposed" to get along, but there is a ton of stuff going on here.. I get a hint of ginger burn later.

Honestly, I like this.. It needs some work to meld things up into something more congealed.. but I appreciate it and need to stock up before it is gone!!

4/3.5/4/4/4

22oz. Bomber
Exponential Series
1800 Bottles Produced
Release #1
$7.29 ea.

Poured into a chalice a cloudy pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast notes, slight sour apple note. The taste is malty/yeast, tart. Medium body. Not Drinkable.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last