Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Smoked cherry wood malt brings a smoky sweetness to the caramel malts and a bit of peat flavor with a Belgian-style yeast. The entire batch aging in the whiskey barrels nicely dries out the perceived sweetness of the caramel malt leaving an almost scotch like taste.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by Wasatch on 07-11-2010

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. It poured a murky caramel color with a modest, frothy head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows a lot of the sweeter, caramel malts to it. I get just a little of the smoke along with some crisp, tart fruits.

The taste shows more of the sweeter, caramel malts to it up front. Midway it seems all about the Belgian yeast and crisp fruits, while the finish is where the smoke really shines. It's very cool how the flavors change so much and how different they are. The smoke in the finish is probably my favorite while up front it feels a little more overly sweet and unbalanced.

The mouthfeel is leaning towards the heavier side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a decent beer, I liked the smoke to it but it also felt a little overly sweet and sugary at times. It was a neat range of flavors, but they didn't really come together all that well.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a copper amber color. A layer of beige head with a little bit of lace left.

Aroma: Smoke and some roasted malts. Liquid bacon. A hint of whiskey and some oak. Light spice.

Taste: Much like the nose, but more bacon flavors. The whiskey adds a nice layer. Fairly oaky. Campfire smoke. Where are the Belgian flavors?

Mouthfeel: Smoked and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more smoked flavors.

Overall, this was a decent beer, but I would have never guessed this to be a Belgian. It reminds me more of a German rauchbier. Decent stuff.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not bad! More smokey than Belgian, but is goes down nicely. Poured into my Chimay goblet. An orangy brown color with a smallish off white head. About average head retention and minimal lacing.

Aroma a bit weak for a Belgian. A little dark fruit and some smokiness. None of the yeast, spices, candi sugar etc that you would expect in a strong Belgian.

Taste is pretty good. THe smokiness is just right and there is some malt, dark fruit and a little sweetness to round things out.

Mouthfeel is rich, there is a distinct alcohol "burn" but not enough to ruin the drinking experience. A year's aging is probably in order.

Not a top-tier Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but not a bad beer either.

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Epic's Smoked and Oaked Belgian Style Ale a couple months ago for $9.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been holding on to this one for a little while and since I like smoked beers and Oak aged beers I thought this would be pretty interesting to try, I don't think I have ever had a smoked beer that was aged in barrels, so lets see how it goes. Release #9 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple and plain looking, it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice looking caramel brown color that took on a slight ruby and burn orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was very nice and the head and lacing were nice for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a medium smoke aroma with some malts coming up next imparting some caramel and sweet malt aromas with a good amount of dark fruits and some brown bread in the background. Up next comes a medium amount of yeast that has an abbey ale yeast like aroma with some oak and vanilla aromas with a light bourbon like flavor that show up towards the end along with a slight boozy aroma. The aroma is nice, the smoke and oak aren't too overpowering, but there's a little too much sweetness for me..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness that's a little too strong and imparts a brown sugar like flavor followed by a lighter smoke flavor that gives way to loads of malts that have a caramel and sweet malt like flavors with some brown bread in the background and some dark fruits showing up nicely. Up next comes some woody, oak and vanilla like flavors with a slight bit of alcohol showing up with some Belgian yeast in the background. On the finish I get a light amount of bitterness with a slight bourbon like flavor with a very sweet, caramel and woody aftertaste with just a slight bit of smoke. This beer tastes nice, but I thought the sweetness was just too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly warming alcohol, cloying, sticky, rich, full bodied, with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, I liked the richness, but I thought the it was too cloying and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, I can see the Belgian Strong Dark Ale base coming through in this beer and it wasn't buried under the smoke and oak flavors which made it well balanced for the most part but the sweetness threw that off a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavor did a decent job at holding my attention, but the sweetness was to sticky and cloying, half a bottle is enough for me, I think the sweetness would become too much if tried to drink the whole bottle by myself. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced the oak and smoked aspects were, neither one was too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was too overpowering and that really hurt the drinkability. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I like most of the flavors, but it's just too sweet for me and it was a little pricey, if I didn't get 20% off I don't think I would have bought it, but I might order a glass of a newer batch to see what it's like fresh and I would recommend this to people who like sweet beers, barley wines, and barrel aged beers. All in all this was an interesting beer, I liked the combination of the smoked malts and bourbon barrels, the combination makes for a flavor that reminds me a little of scotch. This wasn't the best beer I have had from Epic, but it was far from the worst and I appreciated it for the most part but the sweetness was just not for me. I'm still not that experienced with Epic, but they do make some interesting beers, nice work guys.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer is brown in color with an off-white head. As expected, lots of smoke on the nose. Fairly nutty and a mild meatiness. Just a bit of salt in there as well. A mild sweetness of toffee and brown sugar. The flavor has a nice toffee malt sweetness, more than the aroma, to go along with the pronounced smokiness. Lots of salt, toasted nuts, and a bit of a woodiness.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

From 01/15/12 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one.

a - Pours a medium amber color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, light spice, smoked malts, peat. Less smoked than I was expecting, and decently fruity.

t - Tastes of smoked malts, smoked bacon, fruity malts, caramel, toasted and roasted malts. Much more smoke here than in the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a decent smoked beer. Nose isn't overpowering, and has some nice fruit, and then the taste hits you with a ton of smoke. Worth checking out if you liked smoked beers.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber in the small snifter with a coarse foam that doesn't last well. Sweet and tangy witha dose of brown sugar. Hot with alcohol.

Deep fruity flavors of raisin and fig with apple butter. More of a barley wine than a Belgian taste. Slight drying effect, though. More fruity than barrel flavored, but there's a hint of vanilla. Burnt sugar with cherry brandy.

Sugary finish. Alcohol and mincemeat pie aromas. From the bottle at Epic Annex in Sugar House.

Smoked & Oaked Belgian-Style Ale from Epic Brewing Company