Imperial IPA | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This beer is the epitome of Epic’s IPAs. This hard hitting brew manages to pack a punch while still providing that fantastically complex IPA flavor. Slightly floral aromas hit the nose while resinous flavors dominate the body, finishing with the ideal palate cleansing bitterness.

Added by BarrelO on 02-10-2011

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I believe my tastes have changed, as I really enjoyed this beer according to my previous rating. The beer is decent, but the alcohol comes through more than I'd like and I think detracts from the overall appeal of the beer.

A: yellow to yellow golden, with a nice film of sustaining head, thicker at the edges that yield nice lacing.

S: grainy, hay, meadow. It smells like the part of the brewery where mashing happen - in other words, fresh and spent grain. I get the slightest bit of grapefruit as well.

T: sweet, perhaps a little too much so, little honey-syrup-y along with the grain tastes that I get from the smell. The bitterness is the grapefruit I got in the smell, but the grain (perhaps tanins) and alcohol bite add together with this to cut the opening sweetness. Unfortunately, the combo has a saccharin kind of feel.

M: the beer is quite smooth, but the ending feel is a bit oily.

O: I enjoy front sweetness in a DIPA usually, but this either started too sweet or didn't provide a depth or bitterness to counter it. I assume I had a fresh offering, but perhaps not. I probably need to give this one more try to see if my previous higher rating or this one is more appropriate.

Imperial IPA from Epic Brewing Company