Imperial IPA | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This beer is the epitome of Epic’s IPAs. This hard hitting brew manages to pack a punch while still providing that fantastically complex IPA flavor. Slightly floral aromas hit the nose while resinous flavors dominate the body, finishing with the ideal palate cleansing bitterness.

Added by BarrelO on 02-10-2011

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

eyes...
nice frothy white head, rising up to 2 fingers, cloudy light orange, a small amount of carbonation is visible, really sticky lacing, while my description here does not exactly light up the word sky I would be remiss if I did not say that this is one damn fine looking beer.

nose...
big pine and honey notes, just a trace of the alcohol is apparent, this smells heavy, laden with hop oil, a nice nose

taste etc...
pretty thick stuff compared to most IPAs (of course the non filtered aspect lends to this), lots of malt presence to balance out the big hops and big ABV, the alcohol is pretty up front but the other notes are so damn big that this thing does balance out, some real nice bitter flavor, ABV warming, dark honey notes, long linger, pretty damn big beer but I would prefer more hops than booze.

verdict?
tell em large marge sent ya!
this is pretty damn big in all categories, for me personally I would like a little more hop kick to really set this off, that said this is a good bold beer and worth checking out if you like such things

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

I was expecting something exceptional but was a little disappointed. Release #28 from late spring 2013. It was 6 months old when I got to it. Epic just moved to Denver, and I heard of the brewery, being a former Utahn. Also, the neck-talker card promoted this as a GABF medal winner, bronze in 2011 in the Imperial IPA category, so I was excited to finally see this in my store.

Very nice white foamy head poured in a tulip glass, about a half inch. Very hazy and filled with particulates, much like the air in Salt Lake City this time of year! I prefer a clearer IPA, but what do I know.

Lacked a strong aroma of hop. Slightly hoppy floral but not piny up front. The flavor dies instantly and we are left with watery, alcohol and a bitterness that is not unpleasant, but not great.

Mouthfeel verges on slimy in the back. Did not love. Stickier than normal without any sweetness whatsoever. This beer should be better for the price and the hype.

3.86/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle picked up this weekend, so new that the website does not have info yet for this batch (#33). I poured this one into my beer goblet.

Appearance: This one is a little hazy and darker than other IIPAs that I have had. It also has little head on my pour. Other than that, no problems.

Smell: Floral, but also dank and resinous hops abound. Big hop flavors, as expected, with little else to get in the way.

Taste: Hop bitterness with a solid backbone of malt, a touch of caramel, overall huge huge flavors.

Mouthfeel: There is a slickness to this beer that must be from all the hop oil. The bitterness on the finish goes on forever.

Overall: A solid IIPA. I am not sure is any thing exceptional, but you wont go wrong picking this one up.

Imperial IPA from Epic Brewing Company