Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

#551

Ratings: 3,911 |  Reviews: 675
3.92/5  rDev -10.1%

2.8/5  rDev -35.8%

Had one once I thought was very good. Had 3 since then and they’ve all been bad. Not sure if it’s a bad batch or what. Didn’t buy them all at the same place. Has a weird sour flavor. Disappointing as I’ve stocked a half dozen. Maybe the others will be good again.

4.04/5  rDev -7.3%

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch #111
Jet black in color with a medium tan head that fades quickly. Lower carbonation that sticks around as it warms. Good mouthfeel, coats the tongue a bit but isn't all that thick. Chocolate is the major flavor contributor, helped out by the coffee and barrel. Not boozy compared to a lot of BA stouts.
This is one of my favorites, an excellent chocolate coffee stout. A really good value these days.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Solid black color with really low carbonation . Definitely above average body, slightly oily feel that coats the mouth .also mildly creamy and thick,overall a really great body.
Aroma is very strong,boozy at first followed by sweet,sugary,brown sugar,like liquor. That smell when you open a new can of coffee,black coffee,and roasted coffee beans. Also a touch of milk chocolate and really high quality cocoa.
Taste is very similar to aroma,some alcohol heat, boozy,that rough,raw taste of whiskry. Coffee and bitter,unsweetened chocolate
Overall it is really worth a try,open it when you have the time to really savor how rich and complex it is

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Epic Brewing Co. "Big Bad Baptist"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "RELEASE#111 11.4%ALC./VOL."

Notes via stream of consciousness: So I've heard of this beer but I didn't release it was brewed with cocoa nibs and coffee, and aged in whiskey barrels. That would explain some of the cost. It's poured an opaque black body beneath a full head of fluffy dark tan foam that's settled into a much denser, inch-thick cap. The head retention is excellent, and I'm assuming that the lacing will be just as good but we'll see. In the aroma I find dark and oily coffee beans first and foremost. I've had stronger coffee aromas in other beers before but this is still pretty good, and then there's some sweetish milk chocolate and a bit of coconut. Very nice. On to the flavor, it's loaded with coffee, but it's not a really roasty coffee which is nice. If the coffee is too dark it can sometimes lend acidity that can be a little harsh. This actually tastes like a cup of black coffee. The chocolate is there as well, and in this case it really tastes like actual milk chocolate. Sometimes you find bittersweet dark chocolate, or floral and fruity Belgian chocolate, or even just baker's chocolate, but this is like chocolate candy - an actual cocoa nib! Once again, very nice. What else is in there? Some golden caramel, and just a hint of toffee. There's an underlying apple-like fruitiness. I'm - oh... - I was just going to say I'm not finding the whiskey barrels but I just got a quick passing note of what seemed like Bourbon. And there is a slight oakiness in the finish that helps to dry it. Let me have another sip and see if I'm finding anything more, or maintaining what I've found... well wonders never cease, I'm finding more of that whiskey, and I'm really liking how the chocolate and coffee combine. I wasn't expecting this to live up to its hype, and I still haven't looked at it's score so let me see... 4.36? Now I'm surprised it's that low! Let me not get all fouled up though, back to the beer. It tastes a lot like a chocolate covered espresso bean to me right now. It's chocolatey, roasty, and nutty. And I think it's perfectly balanced. I didn't even notice the bitterness, and yet it finishes dry. It's sweetish upfront with the chocolate but then it fades at the swallow. The chocolate remains, and some subtle fruitiness, a slight edge of roastiness and coffee, and then just nuttiness. It's not too much of a lingering flavor though. It's not too rich overall. Perfectly balanced. What's the strength on this? I'm pretty sure the label says 11.4%. Wow, I'd never have guessed that, it really doesn't seem like it at all. Usually with a strong beer you get that sense of strength even if that alcohol doesn't show, but not here. Interesting. Looking back, I still have a solid surface covering on my beer. It's a thin cap but it's solid rim to rim; and the lacing is excellent as expected. It's tattered, and there are holes in it, but it's basically a solid sheet of lace all the way down the glass from start to finish. So, what else? Mouthfeel. OK, let's see... definitely dextrinous and viscous, full bodied but more on the full to medium side. It's not overdone. Velvety smooth. Oh did I mention bitterness? I don't think I did, I may have eluded to it in mentioning dryness and balance of sweetness, but I don't think I really covered it. Well there's some acidity to it from the dark malt, not too much, and there's the roastiness as well, but those aren't enough to keep it in check, so we've got hop bitterness but that's certainly not overdone. It seems like just 35 IBUs but I'm sure there's more, at least 55, but against the sweetish malt you can't tell. And so, I am once more convinced that there usually is something behind hype. This is an excellent chocolate and coffee Imperial Stout, and I wonder if all of it's variations are just as good or if I just happened to get a great batch. Absolutely worth seeking out!

- ahhhhh, I should also report that my wife thinks it tastes like I took an ashtray and dumped chocolate milk into it. Maybe that's a little more accurate.

Review# 6,339

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big Bad Baptist was one of the first beers that made me go, "Wow. Okay, I'm into this. I think this hobby is about to take over my life."

And it has. Big Bad Baptist is thick, rich, sweet, a bit roasty, and tremendously smooth and drinkable. It's also one of the best and most reasonably priced barrel-aged beers on the market.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Big coffee and cocoa. Some toasty malts and a little dark fruit and bourbon. Mainly the coffee and chocolate dominate.

A: black with low brown cap that falls quickly to a ring around the glass.

F: Big coffee flavor gives way to a smooth chocolate and light roasted malt backbone. Balanced with some boozy flavors including rasin and fig. Very suttle toffee and caramel.

M: full body with velvety feel. Lingering coffee, roasty malts, and dark chocolate.

O: very nice imperial stout. Overall a great example of the style, but personally I think I needs a bit more bourbon barrel aged flavors and aromas.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Delicious. I’ve heard a lot about this beer and it didn’t disappoint. Nice dark jet-black color with some mild tan head and a little spotty lingering lacing. Smells great, nice bourbon, wood, brown sugar, coffee and dark chocolate. Tastes of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, bourbon, nice wood, malt, brown sugar, molasses, plum and a little raisin. Beer really mellowed and smoothed out as it warmed. Very little alcohol flavor and the high ABV was extremely well-hidden. Smooth, mild, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Great carbonation. Absolutely delicious beer and I’m very happy I found a bomber at a local store. Will look for others from this solid brewery.

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a pitch black color with a tan head. Good lacing. Smell is coffee and chocolate. Taste is of roasted coffee with some faint chocolate in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall, I enjoyed this beer greatly. Good coffee beer, but not overdone.

4.23/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got a bad bottle. Smelled pretty good but the taste was sooouurrrrr. That’s a shame. I’ve had versions of this beer before and it was amazing but looks like quality control slipped through the cracks or it didn’t do well to the store at Total Wine.

*UPDATE* Got another bottle. California edition. WholeFoods. 12.8%abv. Batch #1. Holy crap now THIS is what it’s supposed to taste like. Malty, chocolate little black licorice, vanilla, coffee smell. Taste is chocolate kinda Nesquik-y. Guess that’s bakers chocolate. Chocolate covered espresso beans. Just a hint of whisky on the backend but overall reallllly well balanced. Medium to full bodied mouth feel. Find this. Very very good BA stout.

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A really refreshing stout. Has a fresh taste with a certain sweetness, very cacao-forward. Coffee flavor is present but not at all overbearing. Overall a great beer.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%