Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Reviews: 587 | Ratings: 3,556

I've heard a lot about this beer. In particular as an alternative to BCBS. This is a phenomenal beer. Super thick, creamy, chocolate, coffee...dessert in a glass. I would say it is a lot less boozy/bourbon on the smell and taste than BCBS. The bourbon is way more subtle. I mention that for two reasons - if BCBS is too boozy, then this is the beer for you. If you want a bourbon bomb, then perhaps not (I still think you'll love it though). Love this beer; wish I bought more than one.

Pitch black with a thin, creamy brown head, that dissipates pretty quickly leaving just a pleasant little cap, followed by some lacing down the glass. Very nice.

Picking up just about everything they say is in it, starting with some strong chocolate, followed by roasted malts, coffee, booze, and a little whiskey. Strong and complex, but doesn't smell super pungeant or anything. Super interesting and delicious smelling.

Getting all of the above from the flavor as well, with the chocolate leading off again - a kind of mix between dark chocolate and sweet milk chocolate. The coffee and roast is mellow, but definitely there. I get just the faintest hint of whiskey at the back end, and very little alcohol presence despite the massive size. This is one amazing imperial stout, I must say.

Nice and heavy with a light carbonation bite to round it out. Smooth and creamy and delicate - definitely like a dessert and what I love about a great imperial stout.

This is definitely one of my new favorite imperial stouts! Amazingly smooth and complex yet not over the top at all - everything blends totally perfectly and doesn't bury the rest. I would love to always have this one on hand for those times when I want a massive beer, for sure.

The holy grail of all stouts ever created. Tastes like liquid cocoa puffs with just a little bit of coffee and booze. This one went down in just a matter of minutes, it was that good. Way better than any other stout I've had, even better than world class BCBS in my opinion. Will be buying this WHENEVER I see it. Never in a million years would I have guessed that it was 11.5% ABV. almost too easy to drink. Batch #48 I believe.

Served On Tap at Fireworks in Courthouse/ Arlington VA

A: Dark Midnight Black Ink.
S: Dark milk chocolate, light smoke, malt and cherries
T: Dark milk chocolate, french press Colombian coffee, Dark cherries, bready malt, raspberry tart. Quite tasty, the creamy bourbon barrel comes on last i n the taste profile but the subtle hear comes in the third layer behind the chocolate, and coffee.
M: Light carbonation that tingles the back part of my throat. Milk and smooth. Like melted milk chocolate.
O: This is one amazing stout! I had some doubts but this one now is number 3 all time! Gonna go back for some more soon and get me a couple of overpriced bottles to stock up on!

Had it on tap and it was very smooth. The flavor evaporates off your tongue due to the high alcohol content. The head is creamy and aromatic with all the coffee and cocoa notes.

I've drank a number of beers, and done a number of beer reviews, but there are few things that come even remotely close to this beer.

The only way I can describe it is like: "Drinking a midnight-black and thick, glass of chocolate-covered espresso beans".

It's sweet.
It's filling.
It's difficult as hell to get through a whole bottle on your own.

But it's also quite delicious.

Definitely a dessert beer of "Epic" proportions.

The "Big Bad Baptist" name also fits, if you think about this as "coffee and donuts after church"... now I just need to find a church that serves it.

Hands down, one of my favorite beers. I've tried batches #1, #3, and #4.

pours black with thin khaki head, smells roasted malty and strongly of coffee. medium low carbonation, smooth on the palate. Taste overwhelmingly of coffee! Great River's "redband" coffee stout is nothing compared to this! tastse like cup of black coffee with no sugar or cream, i wouldn't be surprised if there was 50% or more coffee in this one! no booziness at all or cocoa that i can pick out. the bourbon is also very faint unfortunatly. but the coffee in this bid bad Baptist ballsy beast of a beer is epicly gloriously grand. wow. perfect.

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow wow wow wow wow so smooth with a slight burn lots of boozy vanilla chocolate flavors the bourbon flavor really comes out as this warms up! Def top 3 for me

Batch #56

APPEARANCE - Pours jet black with tiny, tiny bubbles that cascade into a tight, slowly-forming, cocoa-colored, one-finger head that quickly settles into a ring. Leaves really great lacing around the sides of the glass all throughout the drinking experience.

SMELL - Beautiful. Right up front you get a combined hit of whiskey and coffee, the scent of what my comrades like to call Whiskafé. Right behind it is a little cream and sugar, and finally trailing at the end, the chocolate, both from the malt and the nibs. Righteous, indeed.

TASTE - Harmony. No one character steals the show; I'm met with a tour de force ensemble cast of what tastes like single malt whiskey, really great coffee (on par with whatever Dieu de Ciel! uses to brew Péché Mortel), and mouth-coating milk chocolate. Bursting with flavor on all cylinders that simply sing together, naturally. Finally, the finish greets you with roasted malt and a soy sauce like umami character that carries the cocoa flavors with it to end on a gourmet fudge note. Wow.

FEEL - Chewy. Chalky. Heavy, with an effervescent low-carbonation that is just a shade more aggressive than silk. Maybe not quite as "thick" feeling as OA Yeti or as incredibly smooth as Doughnut Break, but just as good in its own, different way.

OVERALL - Using my own rubric, I give this beer a 97.35 out of 100, juuuuust a hair under the 4.99 assigned by the bros' calculations, but such details are trifling. A phenomenal beer whatever anyone's numbers say. Incredibly good, and WAY easier to get than anything remotely similar on the market. Regardless, seek this brew out, as I will be (again). I used to drink this a lot a few years ago, but it disappeared from Columbus, OH shelves. But Epic's got a new Ohio rep, and the Baptist is back baby, and it's as good as it ever was!

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Mind BLOW - can't believe this isn't rated by me.

In the dark stout relm this is about an 8 in the darkness scale. Light is fleeting on the way out, but turns more amber brown as it goes to the glass, quickly turning black and viscous. A nice tan head, milk chocolate colored. Lacing is nice, not great.

The nose is coffee, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and some light candy notes.

The beer is sweet bold sugary but with coffee grounds, almost creme brulee like notes, sugars like a wiskey and just so much coffee.

Creamy but well carbonated. A great sipper.

I can't say enough good about this one. It's about as good one can get.

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Black as night with creamy chocolate head that dissipates quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing.
S- Right up front Black coffee and dark chocolate. There's just a faint hint of whiskey.
T- Incredible. Just how it smells. Coffee and Dark Chocolate coats the whole tongue and a slight whiskey taste at the finish but the alcohol is hidden really well. There is a lingering black coffee taste after swallowing.
MF- Not too thick at all. It's honestly like drinking a cup of cold coffee.
OV- Go out and pick this up. I'm regretting only getting 22oz.

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Batch3, aged 1.5 years. Spectacular, smooth and integrated. Mind blowing!

Pours a thick viscous black, very little soapy head, intense sugar, barrel, coffee aroma, flavor repeats and doesn't disappoint. Totally integrated flavors, nothing seems out of balance.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Release #4; 11.1% ABV.

A: Virtually pitch black. Nice rich khaki head that lingers. Pours with some definite viscosity.

S: Smells like coffee with some vanilla creamer added. Some bourbon and faint chocolate undertones.

T: WOW...this is phenomenal. So complex. Starts out sweet with some mild bourbon (emphasis on the mild...which is good b/c it doesn't overpower everything else that's going on) and vanilla flavors. Some definite molasses and brown sugar there too. Towards the middle I'm getting more of that "coffee creamer" taste. The finish is mainly coffee bitterness with a little bit of sweet milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. The coffee definitely lingers for a while. Damn, I LOVE this stuff!

M: Very smooth and silky. ABV is extremely well hidden. Great thick, viscous body yet very highly drinkable. This one could be dangerous.

Both bourbon barrel and coffee stouts are among my favorite styles. This one merges them to perfection in my opinion. I'm not sure why this beer hasn't garnered more attention. I think it definitely deserves it. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys these styles and I will absolutely be seeking more out myself if/when given the opportunity. Fantastic!

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Release #37. Dark/brown almost black in color with slight ruby red hues around the rim of the glass. Beautiful oil like viscosity with only a few bubbles in the middle and spotty in nature lacing. Aroma of cocoa, bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee and chocolate. Tastes of strong bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, some burnt sugar, hints of oak and bourbon plus coffee. Thick, creamy, and smooth on the palate with just a bit of bitterness and burn in the finish. I must say I found this to be one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had the chance to enjoy. Well done Epic!

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

full review: http://t.co/DXsrUBLwT0
From start to finish this beer is purely enjoyable. The aroma swirls between chocolate and coffee as it enters the nose. On the taste, I get chocolate as it transforms into coffee, and finishes with the hints of bourbon and barrel. This is fully bodied and coats the back of the throat. An enjoyable after taste.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from bomber into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black with a small off white half finger head. Little to no carbonation present. Ample amount of lacing.

S- Bourbon and coffee presence is bold and strong, just how I like this style. After the initial nose, mocha and dark chocolate are apparent. Other notes include deep roasted malts, tobacco, hints of leather, and some wood.

T- The bourbon and coffee do not disappear here, as they are the driving force if this stout. Chocolates and mocha also add a nice sweetness, as do the vanilla and wood from the bourbon barrel. Very balanced and smooth.

M- Full bodied stout. Not much carbonation. Goes down smoothly with a nice sweet aftertaste with a little heat.

O- I loved this offering, probably one if my top 5 coffee stouts. It's hard to imagine getting much better than this, but there are just a couple I can think if that rival this. Outstanding job by Epic and I look forward to this again.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Batch # 17

This beer pours out pure onyx with a half finger of mocha head. Straight-up you get coffee wafting towards your nose and your mouth begins to water. When you stick your schozz into the glass you pick up other scents of whiskey/barrel, roast and chocolate. The beer hits the palate with a silk-like quality and the flavors spread quickly throughout the mouth. Despite the 12% ABV there is virtually no burn with the intake of this brew. Despite the fact that I've had several Big Bad Baptists, I think this may either be my favorite batch, or they are really hitting the mark.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Very lucky to have tried this one. A friend brought it back from a Vegas trip. Pours black. Smells awesome. Has a charred and burnt taste that is delicious. The coffee or chocolate has been toasted/roasted or something. This adds a very unique aspect to the beer that I haven't had in other stouts. Super thick going down. This is one that I was sad when I hit the bottom of the bottle. There are lots of strong stouts that I love but could not have on a regular basis. This one however could be enjoyed regularly because it is so unique and not overpowering.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Release #9, 22 oz bottle, consumed out of snifter at room temperature

A - Very dark brown, nearly opaque. Quickly dissipating, deep, tan head. Minimal cling. Looks lovely.

S - Mostly espresso and a hint of dark fruits, combined with a wonderful, non-bourbon whiskey aroma.

T - Absolutely fantastic. Chocolate and non-bourbon whiskey , followed by espresso and slight dark fruits, ending with a perfect amount of heat. Allowing a sip to sit in my mouth for a few seconds really allowed the chocolate to show itself.

M - Ever so slightly lighter than anticipated based upon the appearance. Slight carbonation present.

O - This beer was shockingly good. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and went back the next day to purchase a few more, including the one I am now reviewing. Though different (mainly in the type of whiskey flavor), this beer is nearly as good as KBS, and I didn't have to stand in line or pay $100 to get a 4-pack via eBay. If this is your style, do what you can to get one of these. I can only hope every release will be this memorable.

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%

Batch #59 12.3% Pours black like oil. Big coffee nose with hints of whiskey and chocolate. Full rich mouth feel with big complex flavors that ends with bitter chocolate. Vanilla, wood, cola, chocolate, COFFEE. Doesn't taste as boozy as it is. I love this beer! In a blind taste test that included three different years of KBS I picked BBB as my #1. I'm buying as much of this as I can get.

UPDATE: This is my goto BA Stout. Having chased a lot of them, I continue to call BBB my baseline.

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God this is a good beer. Quality for sure. I need to hoard up a few more before they disappear again! Although the coffee might fade. Jesus this Baptist is bad and in a good way.

Appearance: Black as night if poured aggressively the head does rise significantly with a nice caramel colored head.

Aroma: Coffee, bourbon some chocolate but not too much of any of those things. It all melds into a perfect balance of bliss. For sure one of the best smelling beers in this category I have ever had!

Taste: Amazing, not boozy at all for the abv. The bourbon shines just enough but does not overpower the coffee or the chocolate. The malts balance everything else out in harmony. Its a very well made beer. Man, it really is so good. The mouthfeel is spot on as well. Very velvety and like drinking a chocolate milkshake with some coffee and bourbon in it! Amazing beer and very well done. Warning: There is coffee in this beer and you can taste it, if you are not a coffee fan you won't like this beer. I do! Its not overpowering and will likely settle even more as time passes but overall this is a very well made beer.

Overall: Amazing, I would buy again. This was release 45 for those counting.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours black with a dark khaki head. Alright retention given its barrel aged. Never smelt anything quite like this and I like. No, I love it. Smells of huge whiskey filled burnt mocha frappucino. Huge cocoa, coffee, and whiskey barrels. Flavor is just as unique; starts off with the whiskey barrels, then some coffee, and leaves with a huge thick, melted chocolate. A medium to fuller mouthfeel. Overall, yeah, this beer is great.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet Black appearance with minimal head. Blast of Coffee small and cocoa with little whiskey smell unless you really concentrate on knowing its supposed to be there.

Reminds me a lot of Founders Imperial Stout since it isn't real heavy on the Whiskey flavors(which is a good thing) and has similar mouth feel. I was sort of worried the Whiskey would overpower the other flavors but the coffee comes blasting through but isn't bitter. The cocoa is an awesome background flavor and I can barely taste the Whiskey but you know it s there.. I didn't think I could find an imperial stout I enjoyed more than FIS and Narwhal(with its unique licorice flavor) but this one is EPIC...

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Wow! Amazing cocoa coffee goodness! I dont really know where to start or end so ill keep this short. I love this beer! This is the Blue Copper coffee version and it is excellent! At 12.2 very drinkable. Good job Epic :)

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz bottle poured into an Epic tulip.
11.5% ABV, Release #23

A - Inky and oily, Big Bad Baptist pours black as night with a thin, fleeting mocha head and little lace left dotting the glass.

S - Cold brewed, French pressed espresso seeps from every pore of Big Bad Baptist giving it one of the most ultimate in coffee aromas from a beer, and while coffee steals the show, it's certainly not the only performer. Blackstrap molasses and chunky fudge melt with nougat inside charred oak barrels for a candy bar-like liqueur sweetness that's intoxicating.

T - Thick chocolate fudge coats the tongue with rich chocolate flavor that's hardly washed away by the bountiful roasted espresso bean flavor - the two combine for one wonderful dark flavor punctuated by charred oak barrels that offer just the slightest nod to whiskey.

M - If the quiet, thick pour and rich black color weren't indication enough, Big Bad Baptist is full-bodied and throat-coating with a velvety smoothness that finishes with the perfect level of alcohol dryness and warmth to be somewhat balancing.

O - One of the quintessential coffee beers of our time, Big Bad Baptist is an exercise in oddly tamed excess - it's over the top but neither cloying nor fatiguing. It's time in the whiskey barrels almost goes unnoticed behind the bold coffee and chocolate flavor but the alcohol hint, charred oak, and wink of whiskey flavor come together flawlessly for an imperial stout everyone must try.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company