Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Ratings: 3,715 |  Reviews: 622

4.96/5  rDev +14.5%

Batch3, aged 1.5 years. Spectacular, smooth and integrated. Mind blowing!

Pours a thick viscous black, very little soapy head, intense sugar, barrel, coffee aroma, flavor repeats and doesn't disappoint. Totally integrated flavors, nothing seems out of balance.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Release #4; 11.1% ABV.

A: Virtually pitch black. Nice rich khaki head that lingers. Pours with some definite viscosity.

S: Smells like coffee with some vanilla creamer added. Some bourbon and faint chocolate undertones.

T: WOW...this is phenomenal. So complex. Starts out sweet with some mild bourbon (emphasis on the mild...which is good b/c it doesn't overpower everything else that's going on) and vanilla flavors. Some definite molasses and brown sugar there too. Towards the middle I'm getting more of that "coffee creamer" taste. The finish is mainly coffee bitterness with a little bit of sweet milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. The coffee definitely lingers for a while. Damn, I LOVE this stuff!

M: Very smooth and silky. ABV is extremely well hidden. Great thick, viscous body yet very highly drinkable. This one could be dangerous.

Both bourbon barrel and coffee stouts are among my favorite styles. This one merges them to perfection in my opinion. I'm not sure why this beer hasn't garnered more attention. I think it definitely deserves it. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys these styles and I will absolutely be seeking more out myself if/when given the opportunity. Fantastic!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Release #37. Dark/brown almost black in color with slight ruby red hues around the rim of the glass. Beautiful oil like viscosity with only a few bubbles in the middle and spotty in nature lacing. Aroma of cocoa, bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee and chocolate. Tastes of strong bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, some burnt sugar, hints of oak and bourbon plus coffee. Thick, creamy, and smooth on the palate with just a bit of bitterness and burn in the finish. I must say I found this to be one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had the chance to enjoy. Well done Epic!

full review: http://t.co/DXsrUBLwT0
From start to finish this beer is purely enjoyable. The aroma swirls between chocolate and coffee as it enters the nose. On the taste, I get chocolate as it transforms into coffee, and finishes with the hints of bourbon and barrel. This is fully bodied and coats the back of the throat. An enjoyable after taste.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from bomber into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black with a small off white half finger head. Little to no carbonation present. Ample amount of lacing.

S- Bourbon and coffee presence is bold and strong, just how I like this style. After the initial nose, mocha and dark chocolate are apparent. Other notes include deep roasted malts, tobacco, hints of leather, and some wood.

T- The bourbon and coffee do not disappear here, as they are the driving force if this stout. Chocolates and mocha also add a nice sweetness, as do the vanilla and wood from the bourbon barrel. Very balanced and smooth.

M- Full bodied stout. Not much carbonation. Goes down smoothly with a nice sweet aftertaste with a little heat.

O- I loved this offering, probably one if my top 5 coffee stouts. It's hard to imagine getting much better than this, but there are just a couple I can think if that rival this. Outstanding job by Epic and I look forward to this again.

Batch # 17

This beer pours out pure onyx with a half finger of mocha head. Straight-up you get coffee wafting towards your nose and your mouth begins to water. When you stick your schozz into the glass you pick up other scents of whiskey/barrel, roast and chocolate. The beer hits the palate with a silk-like quality and the flavors spread quickly throughout the mouth. Despite the 12% ABV there is virtually no burn with the intake of this brew. Despite the fact that I've had several Big Bad Baptists, I think this may either be my favorite batch, or they are really hitting the mark.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Very lucky to have tried this one. A friend brought it back from a Vegas trip. Pours black. Smells awesome. Has a charred and burnt taste that is delicious. The coffee or chocolate has been toasted/roasted or something. This adds a very unique aspect to the beer that I haven't had in other stouts. Super thick going down. This is one that I was sad when I hit the bottom of the bottle. There are lots of strong stouts that I love but could not have on a regular basis. This one however could be enjoyed regularly because it is so unique and not overpowering.

Release #9, 22 oz bottle, consumed out of snifter at room temperature

A - Very dark brown, nearly opaque. Quickly dissipating, deep, tan head. Minimal cling. Looks lovely.

S - Mostly espresso and a hint of dark fruits, combined with a wonderful, non-bourbon whiskey aroma.

T - Absolutely fantastic. Chocolate and non-bourbon whiskey , followed by espresso and slight dark fruits, ending with a perfect amount of heat. Allowing a sip to sit in my mouth for a few seconds really allowed the chocolate to show itself.

M - Ever so slightly lighter than anticipated based upon the appearance. Slight carbonation present.

O - This beer was shockingly good. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and went back the next day to purchase a few more, including the one I am now reviewing. Though different (mainly in the type of whiskey flavor), this beer is nearly as good as KBS, and I didn't have to stand in line or pay $100 to get a 4-pack via eBay. If this is your style, do what you can to get one of these. I can only hope every release will be this memorable.

4.91/5  rDev +13.4%

Batch #59 12.3% Pours black like oil. Big coffee nose with hints of whiskey and chocolate. Full rich mouth feel with big complex flavors that ends with bitter chocolate. Vanilla, wood, cola, chocolate, COFFEE. Doesn't taste as boozy as it is. I love this beer! In a blind taste test that included three different years of KBS I picked BBB as my #1. I'm buying as much of this as I can get.

UPDATE: This is my goto BA Stout. Having chased a lot of them, I continue to call BBB my baseline.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God this is a good beer. Quality for sure. I need to hoard up a few more before they disappear again! Although the coffee might fade. Jesus this Baptist is bad and in a good way.

Appearance: Black as night if poured aggressively the head does rise significantly with a nice caramel colored head.

Aroma: Coffee, bourbon some chocolate but not too much of any of those things. It all melds into a perfect balance of bliss. For sure one of the best smelling beers in this category I have ever had!

Taste: Amazing, not boozy at all for the abv. The bourbon shines just enough but does not overpower the coffee or the chocolate. The malts balance everything else out in harmony. Its a very well made beer. Man, it really is so good. The mouthfeel is spot on as well. Very velvety and like drinking a chocolate milkshake with some coffee and bourbon in it! Amazing beer and very well done. Warning: There is coffee in this beer and you can taste it, if you are not a coffee fan you won't like this beer. I do! Its not overpowering and will likely settle even more as time passes but overall this is a very well made beer.

Overall: Amazing, I would buy again. This was release 45 for those counting.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%