Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Reviews: 611 | Ratings: 3,656
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First Beer Review. Batch #71. Randomly picked from a random liquor store.

Look: Pitch black with only slight cola on the edges when brought to bright light. Head is thin root-beer-float with a mix of fine and large carbonation bubbles. Lacing reminiscent of the sand-in-water-moving-art tchotchke people kept on their office desks in the 90s.

Smell: Banana bread with chocolate chips, still-brewing coffee, small amounts of oak in the back, Sno-Caps (chocolate candy found at the movie theater), vanilla concentrate.

Taste: Chocolate punch in the face on the front followed by creamed coffee and then oak and vanilla on the back. Smooth drinking for the ABV, but there is still a nice boozy warmth at the end of each sip.

Feel: Moderately full-bodied mouth feel. As the beer warms it becomes "chewier," which is a nice contrast to how it drinks cold.

Overall: Great beer. I'm glad I picked this off the shelf. I'd like a little more cold temperature mouth feel, but it's hard to complain when you get to drink a beer of this complexity and flavor. Probably one of my favorites in this style, but I will have to do a side-by-side with others to know exactly how it stacks up.

BMR

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

L- Pours dark brown with almost no head. Thin tan around outside of glass.
S- Wonderful coffee, sweet malt and barrelling.
T- the coffee and chocolatemalt really stand out. The whiskey really comes out in the end. Some carmelized nuttyness.
F- Thin, but the taste profile complexity makes it dance. Wonderful warming from the whiskey. Smooth character.
O- Great complex, unique beer.

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark, dark brown with a soft, dark tan blanket.

Smell is loads of chocolate milk, with bourbon maple syrup, oak, and the coffee bringing an abundance of complexity, like raisin, roasted nuts, molasses, and burnt caramel.

Taste is nutty, smooth chocolate and oak, dry cedar-like wood, molasses, raisin, vanilla and that coffee bringing in loads of complexity on the palate, with a finish that is a super tasty, almost toasty butterscotch. Complexity multiplies as it warms.

Full body, smooth, a little frothy, a slight sting, finishing sticky but semi-dry.

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pitch Black (no light through this one!)
Light head
Rich malts, high quality dark chocolate, some pepper/chile
Very smooth
Not as full bodied as anticipated but very enjoyable

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been drinking growler pours lately and bottles before that. The growler pours are ridiculously great and have to be over 12%. This beer keeps getting better over the years, best dark beer of the year for me.

4.58/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious! I have been sitting on this for awhile and just now I finally got around to drinking it for the first time. I'm in love. Coffee and coco are perfectly balanced and I would never guess the high ABV. More please!

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

on draft in an 8 oz glass

jet black, opaque - tan head that fades. nice huge chocoately aroma. taste is big on the chocolate and coffee flavors as well. thick full mouthfeel. overall very good.

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black (George Thorogood voice)
No Head
Rich malts, high quality dark chocolate, a little bit of pepper/chile
Very smooth
I don't taste any alcohol, but I can feel it quickly.
Overall, this is an in your face, awesome, tasty, imperial stout.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: pours a dark brown, with a small light tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Coffee and cacao really dominate the nose, with almost no discernible barrel being picked up. Judging from the ring where the cap was, this bottle has possibly been sitting a bit. That said, I like the smell I'm getting.

Taste: coffee, chocolate, slight brown sugar, and some small amounts of barrel. The finish gives me a ground cacao powder taste. I like it

Feel: If there's a part of the beer I'm disappointed in, it's the body. The body is a medium feel, little to no bitterness or heat.

Overall: This beer reminds me of KBS, but without the acrid, green pepper coffee notes. That said, KBS is great, so if this is better, it's a winner.

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

Batch #74, and my first trial of Big Bad Baptist.

Deep, dark pour with absolutely zero head/carbonation.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, chili pepper, charcoal, vanilla, and rauch/smoked malts.

Flavor is chock full of green pepper/chiles/coffee. Some hot fudge underneath. An aftertaste like I sucked on a nickel.

Feel is undercarbonated, pretty hot, and pretty sticky.

Overall, I am super disappointed in this one. I was hopeful and expecting more. I remember pacing back and forth on my last day in Wisconsin (where Epic is distributed) with my cart wondering whether to put another $11.99 BBB in the cart. I decided to pass, as I already had spent tons on my trip. Fortunately, in this rare case it was a good decision. Now if I hadn't passed up on that Alpha King.... ;-)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big beer, no doubt. It's a very strong imperial stout, with a lot more coffee flavor than I anticipated. I didn't get as much of the barrel flavor, but then again, I am just now getting more familiar with barrel-aged beers, so I don't quite have the refined palate yet. But this one's good because you don't get blown away by the ABV, which means they made the beer correctly. Another good beer from Epic.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: Bottle
Batch #72 (Brewed: Sep-4-2015 | Bottled: Aug-23-2016)

A:
Pours a used motor oil black, thick with a finger and a half dollop of mocha head. Settles to a film with decent retention. Thick sheets of lace. (4)

S:
Rich, thick layers of dark chocolate, some woody backing with vanilla whiskey character and coffee, candied nuts, some spice. Very, very nice. (4.5)

T:
Similar to nose with more assertive barrel presence. Rich baker's cocoa mocha with a dash of bourbon. (4.25)

M:
Fairly thin, full-bodied, vague boozy warmth/profile in finish. (4.25)

O:
Really nice stout.
Well put-together layers of flavor and aroma that all hold each other up. Rich thick belts of chocolate and a spectrum of roastiness from coffee and the malts. The alcohol is a little warm but not too present flavor-wise which I really appreciate. some mellow barrel sweetness as well. Drinkable, but incredibly potent. It packs a wollop. Great beer, worth tracking down. (4.25)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured black into brandy snifter with no head. Aroma of bourbon, vanilla and caramel. Taste the same but more pronounced. Definite alcohol hit. Medium body and little carbonation. This is great beer!

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

Release #71 and its important to note which release you get as each is slightly different in ratio and ingredients. I've noticed some reviews agree with the lack of alcohol hotness I detect and others do not. So every release is different and I believe they do a little less than 3000 bottles of each, All seem to be exceptional however.

Was a gift from my boss before Christmas. Made it all of 3 weeks before I opened it. I have not written a review in a while but this beer seems impressive so I figured I would. Poured straight up into a regular old pint glass(I can't find anything fancy digging in my old beerware sadly).

L - Gorgeous dark black body. Impressive thick tan head that just wont quit. I wish I could get this kind of head retention out of my homebrew Imperial Stouts.

S - Big Chocolate Coffee aroma with subtle Oaky Vanilla notes. You can certainly tell premium coffee was used(I dont drink coffee so I can't really expand on this other than to say its notably elegant in aroma).

T - You get the same flavors as in the aroma but in different strengths. First comes that big Coffee taste and then the Oak shines through much stronger than either the Chocolate or Vanilla. The barrel aging really comes out in the flavor. It's aftertaste is slightly astringent but in that classic Imperial Stout way. Surprisingly not a huge/hot alcohol taste for something that's 12.4%.

F - Not as heavy as I would expect. There's something unusually light about this beer. It goes down extremely smooth. This I think is its only flaw in that it just doesn't have as much weight in the body as you would expect. It's definitely a sipping beer just not as much mouthfeel as I would want out of it. It's sort of like a medium body mash on something where a full body infusion should have been used. Barely a flaw though(I'm chewing instead of chomping!).

O - Gorgeous Imperial Stout. One of the best beers I've ever had. Perfect cigar pairing would be a 1964 Anniversary Padron Maduro Robusto. If I had one it would be one hell of a combo. Any fine maduro would do for a cold night sipping this beer in front of a roaring fire. This may also be ideal for one of those espresso breakfast stout concoctions I've heard about but as stated I am not a coffee person so I wouldn't know. I also don't know if I would cellar this because its beautiful after sitting in the barrel for a year.

It's likely I'll never find a beer exactly like this one in any other batch and there's something of sorrow, beauty, and romance in that.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Release #66, purchased in August '16, finally enjoyed 1/17. Pours as dark as you like, not 100% but let's say 98%. No head to speak of. Perhaps a brown ochre whisper. Aroma is cocoa more than anything. Not at all strong on the dark fruit, the booze, or the coffee.

Taste is sweet baker's chocolate (nibs). Coffee texture with a chocolate grain. Bourbon barrel is there and it's well-balanced. 12.2% says the label and that is all but invisible. No alcohol sweetness or heat. RIS malts without being burnt or really overly "Russian." Coffee also minimal. Lots here in bits but nothing takes it all hostage.

Not too sweet, either. It doesn't bite back, all the rich flavors you want without the part where your wife goes "yuck, why do you drink that?" As it warms you get the bourbon more, creamed coffee (not bitter), along with a creamy barley chalk. It's not Parabola, which I think is close to perfect, or even Ten-Fidy which has a more complex palette.

There's really nothing wrong with this. We like Bad Baptist because we can find it in almost any World Market or well-stocked Bristol's around here, and it's an uptown imp stout. Thick and inoffensive and a bit high priced.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Paid the premium on this 13 bucks a bottle with tax for a 13% brew. Into a standard pint. Blah blah dark pitch blackness in color with a 1/4 inch deep mocha foam. GOWDAMN that is such a pronounced cocoa nib smell like even repeated sniffs are not lie its there and no fading I am impressed! Appreciated also is no heavy bourbons in the nose booze always makes me gag and so much cocoa powder should get a 5/5 just for the aroma!

Taste is such a flow of flavors first roast, then chocolate then them NIBZ DAMN, and then some bourbon which highlighted my next taste this is a boozy beast. Finish is a mix of sweet or boozy depending on each sip which is a nice bit of complexity. 13% is a bit thinner than expected but each sip is a bit of winter warming ow YEAH.

Overall it's pricey but one of the better bourbon barrel aged beer ESPECIALLY cocoa nib beer I ever had! NIBZ!

My rating is mainly based on flavor. Tried this beer
at the Black Star Co-op brewpub in Austin, TX. This is a serious stout. The bourbon flavor is pronounced but very well balanced. Recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed 3 bottles at Total in McLean, VA. Glad I did. If I didn't have so much beer, I would have grabbed more. Delicious, so I hope it's there when I go back!

Dark, dark chocolate ice cream with a splash of bourbon. Full barrel-wood and sweet, rich fudge aftertaste. As is often the case, gets a bit bigger as it warms slightly from the fridge. At 13% you need not drink much to notice. Well done.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2016-12-25 in Lititz, PA from a 22oz bottle.

Top notch Imperial Stout. Rich dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted grain, oak, caramel and earthy spice. Delicious.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bottle into a speiglau barrel aged glass.

Look is pitch black with a half inch tan head.

Arowma is lots of chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon.

Taste is like a bourbon milkshake absolutely delicious.

So good.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted it at the brewery. Reviewing late so unsure on the batch number. Thick and luscious, black but no head. Boozy with layers of chocolate and coffee on the nose and similar on taste.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Release #78. Pint glass. Very dark (but not motor-oil opaque). Almost no head. Initial impression is dark chocolate, coffee, and whiskey. Slight sweetness initially which is gradually replaced by a mild bitterness in the finish. There is some oak in there too, which becomes more evident as it warms. Medium-thick, creamy mouthfeel. The 12.6% ABV is very well hidden, making it scandalously easy to drink. It's reasonably priced (well, if you consider $11.50 a bottle reasonable), fairly easy to find, and absolutely delicious. Highly recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Jet black, mocha head.
S: coca and a coffee bitterness. whiskey in the back.
T: deep coca sweetness and coffee bitterness. whiskey is not up front but lingers in the back. hot.
F: thick, velet.
O: KBS by a different name. The price (bomber for $12) and and availability make it a steal. grab one.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Batch #41 from the Denver Brewery. Packaged on 10/17/14. Aged in temperature controlled setting.

Poured into a CCB snifter. Pours thick with a small mocha head. Nose of vanilla and chocolate.

Chewy chocolate brownie flavor. Rich vanilla with a hint of pressed coffee. Some of the coffee has waned but is to be expected with aging. Roasted barley is present but blends well with the overall flavor. Carbonation is a tad much for the style but does not impede on the style or palate as the body remains fairly full. Alcohol is present but smooth and creamy, so although it is a sipper, it goes down easy.

Very drinkable and tasty barrel aged stout. If I recall correctly, I found this easily and it wasn't expensive considering it is barrel aged. I made a note when I drank this fresh it was good but a bit hot, so a touch of aging, at least for this batch, did it some good. I wish I tried this about six months ago as the coffee note may have had more punch. I digress. With that said, if you find this, buy a few bottles and experiment with aging. For the price, it wouldn't be a huge investment and it is tasty beer even with the alcohol heat. Definitely try this, especially if you are a fan of imperial stouts aged in whiskey/bourbon barrels. You will be satisfied.

A real beast with some smoked blue cheese.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark
Almost no head
Aroma loaded with coffee and slight hint of bourbon.
Taste malty with a very pleasant finish.
The bourbon is not overpowering which is partly why I like it so much. I definitely recommend.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company