Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

#295

Ratings: 3,776 |  Reviews: 633

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured black into brandy snifter with no head. Aroma of bourbon, vanilla and caramel. Taste the same but more pronounced. Definite alcohol hit. Medium body and little carbonation. This is great beer!

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Release #71 and its important to note which release you get as each is slightly different in ratio and ingredients. I've noticed some reviews agree with the lack of alcohol hotness I detect and others do not. So every release is different and I believe they do a little less than 3000 bottles of each, All seem to be exceptional however.

Was a gift from my boss before Christmas. Made it all of 3 weeks before I opened it. I have not written a review in a while but this beer seems impressive so I figured I would. Poured straight up into a regular old pint glass(I can't find anything fancy digging in my old beerware sadly).

L - Gorgeous dark black body. Impressive thick tan head that just wont quit. I wish I could get this kind of head retention out of my homebrew Imperial Stouts.

S - Big Chocolate Coffee aroma with subtle Oaky Vanilla notes. You can certainly tell premium coffee was used(I dont drink coffee so I can't really expand on this other than to say its notably elegant in aroma).

T - You get the same flavors as in the aroma but in different strengths. First comes that big Coffee taste and then the Oak shines through much stronger than either the Chocolate or Vanilla. The barrel aging really comes out in the flavor. It's aftertaste is slightly astringent but in that classic Imperial Stout way. Surprisingly not a huge/hot alcohol taste for something that's 12.4%.

F - Not as heavy as I would expect. There's something unusually light about this beer. It goes down extremely smooth. This I think is its only flaw in that it just doesn't have as much weight in the body as you would expect. It's definitely a sipping beer just not as much mouthfeel as I would want out of it. It's sort of like a medium body mash on something where a full body infusion should have been used. Barely a flaw though(I'm chewing instead of chomping!).

O - Gorgeous Imperial Stout. One of the best beers I've ever had. Perfect cigar pairing would be a 1964 Anniversary Padron Maduro Robusto. If I had one it would be one hell of a combo. Any fine maduro would do for a cold night sipping this beer in front of a roaring fire. This may also be ideal for one of those espresso breakfast stout concoctions I've heard about but as stated I am not a coffee person so I wouldn't know. I also don't know if I would cellar this because its beautiful after sitting in the barrel for a year.

It's likely I'll never find a beer exactly like this one in any other batch and there's something of sorrow, beauty, and romance in that.

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Release #66, purchased in August '16, finally enjoyed 1/17. Pours as dark as you like, not 100% but let's say 98%. No head to speak of. Perhaps a brown ochre whisper. Aroma is cocoa more than anything. Not at all strong on the dark fruit, the booze, or the coffee.

Taste is sweet baker's chocolate (nibs). Coffee texture with a chocolate grain. Bourbon barrel is there and it's well-balanced. 12.2% says the label and that is all but invisible. No alcohol sweetness or heat. RIS malts without being burnt or really overly "Russian." Coffee also minimal. Lots here in bits but nothing takes it all hostage.

Not too sweet, either. It doesn't bite back, all the rich flavors you want without the part where your wife goes "yuck, why do you drink that?" As it warms you get the bourbon more, creamed coffee (not bitter), along with a creamy barley chalk. It's not Parabola, which I think is close to perfect, or even Ten-Fidy which has a more complex palette.

There's really nothing wrong with this. We like Bad Baptist because we can find it in almost any World Market or well-stocked Bristol's around here, and it's an uptown imp stout. Thick and inoffensive and a bit high priced.

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.91/5  rDev -10.5%

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.87/5  rDev +11.4%

Paid the premium on this 13 bucks a bottle with tax for a 13% brew. Into a standard pint. Blah blah dark pitch blackness in color with a 1/4 inch deep mocha foam. GOWDAMN that is such a pronounced cocoa nib smell like even repeated sniffs are not lie its there and no fading I am impressed! Appreciated also is no heavy bourbons in the nose booze always makes me gag and so much cocoa powder should get a 5/5 just for the aroma!

Taste is such a flow of flavors first roast, then chocolate then them NIBZ DAMN, and then some bourbon which highlighted my next taste this is a boozy beast. Finish is a mix of sweet or boozy depending on each sip which is a nice bit of complexity. 13% is a bit thinner than expected but each sip is a bit of winter warming ow YEAH.

Overall it's pricey but one of the better bourbon barrel aged beer ESPECIALLY cocoa nib beer I ever had! NIBZ!

4.19/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.89/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My rating is mainly based on flavor. Tried this beer
at the Black Star Co-op brewpub in Austin, TX. This is a serious stout. The bourbon flavor is pronounced but very well balanced. Recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed 3 bottles at Total in McLean, VA. Glad I did. If I didn't have so much beer, I would have grabbed more. Delicious, so I hope it's there when I go back!

Dark, dark chocolate ice cream with a splash of bourbon. Full barrel-wood and sweet, rich fudge aftertaste. As is often the case, gets a bit bigger as it warms slightly from the fridge. At 13% you need not drink much to notice. Well done.

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company