Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Big Bad BaptistBig Bad Baptist

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Reviews: 574 | Ratings: 3,490
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just started really trying out some different stouts. Have had some issue finding one I really liked. Some have too much coffee. Some have too much chocolate. Some are too thin. And while I'm just in the beginning of trying out stouts, this may be the "one" that will be the benchmark going forward

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A 22oz bomber from release batch #46 with a brew date of 24th September 2013 and a packaged date of 8th December 2014 and poured into a snifter glass.

Appearance: The beer poured an opaque black colour with a one finger brown head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a thin whispy layer and spotty lacing.

Aroma: Strong aromas of chocolate mixed in with coffee, caramel and vanilla. There is also a hint of whisky alcohol aroma.

Taste: Taste is much like the aroma. Chocolate and espresso coffee dominate followed by hints of slightly burnt caramel and vanilla. There is also some roasted malts and oakiness but not a lot of whisky even though its aged in whiskey barrels.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: I’m a sucker for coffee, whisky and beer (my three favourite drinks). Now put together into a single drink, although the whisky is not so prominent here, this brew is fantastic. It’s right up there with Founders Breakfast Stout and Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. Another must buy beer to add to my list.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet Black appearance with minimal head. Blast of Coffee small and cocoa with little whiskey smell unless you really concentrate on knowing its supposed to be there.

Reminds me a lot of Founders Imperial Stout since it isn't real heavy on the Whiskey flavors(which is a good thing) and has similar mouth feel. I was sort of worried the Whiskey would overpower the other flavors but the coffee comes blasting through but isn't bitter. The cocoa is an awesome background flavor and I can barely taste the Whiskey but you know it s there.. I didn't think I could find an imperial stout I enjoyed more than FIS and Narwhal(with its unique licorice flavor) but this one is EPIC...

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Full disclosure: I’ve sampled Epic’s Big Bad Baptist before. From the source. In Salt Lake City. And I don’t remember doing it. At all. Four hours prior to takeoff, my friend and I decided to stop off at the brewery and proceeded to order every beer on tap. Every. Single. One. I know that the Baptist was mixed into that enormous “flight” somewhere, but I can’t recall where it landed. It sounded good… I mean, how can you go wrong with coffee, whiskey, and cocoa nibs? But with a sober mind and a clean palate, does it deliver? Is it worthy? Well…

The short answer is yes: it does deliver and it is worthy. Pouring the Baptist is an adventure in and of itself— the liquid settles quickly into a pitch-black pool after mocha-tinged lacing falls gracefully from the top of the glass. As if on a blind date, the beer opens up after taking the proper amount of time to get to know it. Aromas are subtle at first, but fresh-ground coffee, strong whiskey, and bitter chocolate are immediately noticeable. A few minutes after that, wood, vanilla, roasted malt, tobacco, and molasses emanate from the glass. The taste of this beer is unrivaled in many respects, as the Baptist allows the drinker to taste everything that it has to offer without tasting too much of anything. The mouthfeel is also much more intense than what would be expected of a barrel aged stout. While imparting rich flavor, barrels tend to mellow, balance, and smooth brews. This is not true of Epic’s barrel aged beauty. Swigs go down with a pleasant burn that mimics a less-intense whiskey shot. The striking taste of alcohol then fades to a lingering chocolate/tobacco aftertaste. And though I don’t remember our first encounter (nor do I remember passing through the security line at SLC), you can be assured that I won’t forget this experience. And I’ll be back for more.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really great beer and so underrated. This one is pretty readily available, but it is right on par with other great stouts. Lots of chocolate on the nose and the finish.

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lots of chocolate and coffee and barrel flavor, it's as if they are having a conversation with each other, extremely well balanced. Am very pleased the effort to acquire this beer was worth it!

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding. Everything you would want in an Imperial stout: huge roasted malt, dark molasses sweetness, cocoa/coffee adds an awesome flavor that melds with the molasses/bourbon sweetness. This is a huge tasty beer, with nothing offensive or cloying about it.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz. bottle.

A: Pours a rich deep black with a finger of thick creamy mocha colored head. Solid retention and moderate lacing.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, smoke, oak, bourbon, dark fruits, and some earthy hops.

T: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, roasted malts, oak smokiness, dark fruits, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, oatmeal, molasses, vanilla, tobacco and some earthy hops provide the right amount of bitterness. There is a lot of going on in this brew.

M: Rich full body, low to mid carbonation, smooth and creamy mouthfeel. What an imperial stout should drink like.

O: This is a fantastic brew, it is unique and complex. A truly great sipper with excellent depth. I highly recommend this brew to stout lovers everywhere.

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch 37
Appearance- Black in color with hues of brown visible on the outer rims. Pours a thin mocha colored head.

Aroma- Lots of sweet whisky booziness, vanilla, coffee, and chocolate.

Taste- Again the whisky dominates at first with focus more on the sweetness rather than booziness. The barrel calms down quickly leading to sweet flavors of vanilla and milk chocolate. The sweetness is balanced by a mild coffee roast.

Feel- Full bodied, low carbonation, and clean in the finish for a stout.

Overall- This is definitely a great BBA but just short of top tier examples. The whisky barrel is clearly present, there's great vanilla/chocolate flavors, and the coffee adds good balance in the finish.If the coffee presence or roasted malt was stronger this would add better better as it leans towards the sweeter side. Definitely worth picking if ya want a great barrel aged stout.

4.81/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Release 45

How exactly is this going to improve with aging? Aroma, mouth feel, balance are all exquisite. Not a hot beer at all, despite the ABV. Drink that BBB now!

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch #48

Chocolate and coffee flavors shine here, with the whiskey playing second fiddle. Great balance. The wood from the barrel aging makes for a very dry finish. Really tasty beer.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

100th beer review.
Batch #40, 11.5% abv

Bomber into a snifter. Pours pitch black with about 1 finger of dense, bubbly mocha-colored foam. Incredibly sweet aroma of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, and caramel. There's also a profound oak charring on the nose that's unlike any other Imperial Stout I've had. I also detect some bourbon notes within the sweet alcohol aroma. Medium-heavy weight, but among the less-dense Imperial Stouts I've had before. Despite not being an overly heavy beer, there's a smooth creaminess that fills the mouth.

Sweet, roasted coffee and malt up front with notes of chocolate. A slight bitterness sets in middleways that I attributed to the chocolate. On the back end, I get a more profound, yet still subtle bitterness along with a slight bourbon flavor. Finishes as smooth as butter. The aftertaste sees a lingering bitterness coupled with a stronger bourbon presence, while still retaining much of the coffee sweetness.

Overall, this beer is delicious. Absoloutely one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had. It's more coffee-forward, which isn't something I was expecting, but the balance between sweetness and bitterness, and flavor and alcohol is perfect. You taste everything this beer has to offer without tasting too much of anything. Simply awesome.

Different batch: #56, 11.9% ABV
Same dark brown pour and back appearance in the glass. I feel as though this batch is different, as I'm picking up little bourbon and oak presence. Instead, I get a medley of expresso, roasted malt, sugared candy, and straight whiskey. This batch has a much more raw aroma to it than #40.
Taste wise, it follows along with the aroma. Very heavy whiskey presence accompanied by roasted malt, suagry expresso/coffee, and sweet, roasty malt.
In terms of the feel, this batch is a little more abrasive than my previous review. Not that it's hard to drink - it isn't - but just that buttery smootheness is gone. This batch is rougher around the edges in terms of balance and texture, but still very good.

numbers adjusted accordingly, but overall I much prefer the BBA vs the WBA version.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap at The Lackman, arrived in a snifter.

Appearance: Your usual imperial stout impenetrable black, capped with a dark brown head that dwindled somewhat quickly to a cap and ring. Lacing was patchy but persistent.

Smell: Chocolate, and quite a bit of it, riding atop a wave of coffee and caramel. Some hints of spice as well.

Taste: This has some over the top intensity of flavor. The aforementioned chocolate is present in spades, alongside French roast coffee, burnt caramel, white and black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and a slurry of dark fruits. Some wooden, vanilla, and almost chile-like undertones waft along through the background as well. The finish is sour dark fruit, bread, coffee, and oak.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, sticky, and rich, this is definitely an imperial stout.

Overall: I'd have this again were I to come across it. I'd have just one, but I'd still have it again.

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm going to preface that I got this recently and it was not at all what I expected. I really didn't care for this and it could have totally been just my bottle or this batch so you might not want to take this review to be the decider.

A - Pours very dark brown and settles into a clear black color. Good light brown colored head with good lacing. Looks appetizing

S - The aroma I get is a big caramel, burnt sugar smell. I almost thought it was chemical in the magnitude of aromatics. I couldn't quite place it initially but it was very familiar and I had to have my wife smell to properly place it. I could just be a mix of vanilla, bourbon, and the sweeter notes but I really didn't care for it dominating my nose.

T - Again that chemical burnt caramel is there but not as strong and there are some good flavors with it. The secondary flavors are the dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, vanilla, and sweet malt. It has some subtle complexities with some acrid bitterness to let you know it is a stout and not a sweeter porter. On the finish you can sense the caramel hitting the olfactory again making me almost cringe.

M - Full mouth-feel. Light carbonation. The flavors and feel are good if it wasn't for the backlash from the burnt caramel.

Overall, this is a different imperial stout. I've never smelled an aroma quite like that in a beer and I would not want it again. The flavor was solid which leads me to believe that something went wrong either in this bottle or maybe just the batch since there is some variability from batch to batch. I would try this one again but I think I'll give it a year and try another review then.

Glass- Snifter

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a growler purchased two days before at The Brass Tap, Greenfield, WI:

Pours black with a thin, wispy brown head. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of roasted coffee/chicory, burnt brown sugar, wood and some warming alcohol.

The taste is of coffee/espresso/chicory, chocolate (hint of anise?), wood and some peppery alcohol.

It is rich and velvety with a woody lingering dryness.

This is a wonderful, complex, thick stout. Some alcohol shows, but not as much as the actual abv. A rich "sipper"!

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just drank a batch #37 bomber over the weekend the perfect year round imperial stout not to heavy not to thin. Has tons of smell taste and mouthfeel to satisfy even the most hard to please stout drinker. I thik its far bettter than many more notable. I need several cases of this on hand.☺

4.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wasn't sure what to expect but, wish I had another bottle. The barrel comes through just enough to compliment the stout itself. Medium -thick, a bit oily.

3.24/5  rDev -25%

All winter I drank stouts, finding a love for those that are aged in bourbon barrels so I was very excited to be gifted this. I opened it with such anticipation. I might be a little weird but when I smelled it it was off putting. No whiskey smell at all....ok, well I let it warm up and when I drank it I wasnt impressed. I didnt taste any whiskey at all. Don't get me wrong, It's a good stout but not one of my favorites. I will take a siberian night or wulver over this any day.

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow wow wow wow wow so smooth with a slight burn lots of boozy vanilla chocolate flavors the bourbon flavor really comes out as this warms up! Def top 3 for me

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch No. 62 Served On-Tap

A — Pours a dark deep ruby hued brown, nearly pitch black into the glass. There is a dark brown head that slowly forms and leaves behind some sticky oily rings of lace with each sip.

S — Smell is pungent, roasted, dry, bitter, semi-sweet notes of coffee, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, oak, bourbon, cinnamon. A nice balance of aromas here with nothing overpowering another.

T — Loads of dry bakers chocolate, cocoa nibs, coffee, espresso beans, dark chocolate, a light nutty and semi-sweet balance. Bit of vanilla, Bourbon, and oak.

M — Full bodied, not overly heavy, nice and balanced.

O — Fantastic overall, love the balance that is found in this one.

4.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To me this beer is pretty dam similar to BCBS. It's lacking a little in the mouthfeel for me but overall a great offering. Wishing I had gotten more than one.

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very complex, and lots going on. Successive releases have toned down the complexity, and made for a much more cohesive taste. A good 20-30 minutes at room temp does so much for BBB.

This should be 100/100.

Look: Lovely motor oil dark color. Pitch Black.

Smell: Like Chocolate Coffee

Taste: Like a delicious chocolate/coffee flan. Alcohol is hidden well, and oak has a slight appearance at the end.

Feel: Feels great in the mouth, like liquid silk

Overall: This is the next whale (e.g. KBS, BCBS) once people realize how good it is.

Spread the word, or keep it a secret!

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Perfectly pleasant coffee and cacao beer, and anyone who loves the aforementioned two elements will definitely like this beer. Points off, however, because the bourbon barrel really does NOT come through here, which is really disappointing. Some creamy vanilla from the barrel treatment would really have raised this beer to another level.

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks pitch black, small, light brown head sticking around the glass. Some alcohol legs sticking behind. Looks really nice.

Smells like a mocha. Big chocolate and coffee. Cold pressed coffee, with some cream and sugar perhaps. I wouldn't prefer that sweetness in my own coffee, as I like it black, but it smells like a great chocolatey, coffee forward dessert.

Upfront, the dryness from the oak, then some semi-sweet chocolate and soft vanilla, almost like a cookie. Then it goes down and the alcohol starts to tingle and lightly burn the tongue and warm the throat. Finishes very nicely and balanced.

Lighter side of full bodied, more of a medium plus body. Pretty nice creaminess to it as well.

Overall, if you dislike the thin mouth from KBS and maybe find the coffee to dominate the bourbon and are looking for more balance, then this is for you. Not sure why the ratings aren't more around 4.5. It likely hasn't quite met the masses yet or does not deliver that rareness factor.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company