Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

#297

Ratings: 3,778 |  Reviews: 634
4.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black (George Thorogood voice)
No Head
Rich malts, high quality dark chocolate, a little bit of pepper/chile
Very smooth
I don't taste any alcohol, but I can feel it quickly.
Overall, this is an in your face, awesome, tasty, imperial stout.

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: pours a dark brown, with a small light tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Coffee and cacao really dominate the nose, with almost no discernible barrel being picked up. Judging from the ring where the cap was, this bottle has possibly been sitting a bit. That said, I like the smell I'm getting.

Taste: coffee, chocolate, slight brown sugar, and some small amounts of barrel. The finish gives me a ground cacao powder taste. I like it

Feel: If there's a part of the beer I'm disappointed in, it's the body. The body is a medium feel, little to no bitterness or heat.

Overall: This beer reminds me of KBS, but without the acrid, green pepper coffee notes. That said, KBS is great, so if this is better, it's a winner.

4.19/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -9.8%

Batch #74, and my first trial of Big Bad Baptist.

Deep, dark pour with absolutely zero head/carbonation.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, chili pepper, charcoal, vanilla, and rauch/smoked malts.

Flavor is chock full of green pepper/chiles/coffee. Some hot fudge underneath. An aftertaste like I sucked on a nickel.

Feel is undercarbonated, pretty hot, and pretty sticky.

Overall, I am super disappointed in this one. I was hopeful and expecting more. I remember pacing back and forth on my last day in Wisconsin (where Epic is distributed) with my cart wondering whether to put another $11.99 BBB in the cart. I decided to pass, as I already had spent tons on my trip. Fortunately, in this rare case it was a good decision. Now if I hadn't passed up on that Alpha King.... ;-)

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a big beer, no doubt. It's a very strong imperial stout, with a lot more coffee flavor than I anticipated. I didn't get as much of the barrel flavor, but then again, I am just now getting more familiar with barrel-aged beers, so I don't quite have the refined palate yet. But this one's good because you don't get blown away by the ABV, which means they made the beer correctly. Another good beer from Epic.

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: Bottle
Batch #72 (Brewed: Sep-4-2015 | Bottled: Aug-23-2016)

A:
Pours a used motor oil black, thick with a finger and a half dollop of mocha head. Settles to a film with decent retention. Thick sheets of lace. (4)

S:
Rich, thick layers of dark chocolate, some woody backing with vanilla whiskey character and coffee, candied nuts, some spice. Very, very nice. (4.5)

T:
Similar to nose with more assertive barrel presence. Rich baker's cocoa mocha with a dash of bourbon. (4.25)

M:
Fairly thin, full-bodied, vague boozy warmth/profile in finish. (4.25)

O:
Really nice stout.
Well put-together layers of flavor and aroma that all hold each other up. Rich thick belts of chocolate and a spectrum of roastiness from coffee and the malts. The alcohol is a little warm but not too present flavor-wise which I really appreciate. some mellow barrel sweetness as well. Drinkable, but incredibly potent. It packs a wollop. Great beer, worth tracking down. (4.25)

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured black into brandy snifter with no head. Aroma of bourbon, vanilla and caramel. Taste the same but more pronounced. Definite alcohol hit. Medium body and little carbonation. This is great beer!

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.98/5  rDev +14%

Release #71 and its important to note which release you get as each is slightly different in ratio and ingredients. I've noticed some reviews agree with the lack of alcohol hotness I detect and others do not. So every release is different and I believe they do a little less than 3000 bottles of each, All seem to be exceptional however.

Was a gift from my boss before Christmas. Made it all of 3 weeks before I opened it. I have not written a review in a while but this beer seems impressive so I figured I would. Poured straight up into a regular old pint glass(I can't find anything fancy digging in my old beerware sadly).

L - Gorgeous dark black body. Impressive thick tan head that just wont quit. I wish I could get this kind of head retention out of my homebrew Imperial Stouts.

S - Big Chocolate Coffee aroma with subtle Oaky Vanilla notes. You can certainly tell premium coffee was used(I dont drink coffee so I can't really expand on this other than to say its notably elegant in aroma).

T - You get the same flavors as in the aroma but in different strengths. First comes that big Coffee taste and then the Oak shines through much stronger than either the Chocolate or Vanilla. The barrel aging really comes out in the flavor. It's aftertaste is slightly astringent but in that classic Imperial Stout way. Surprisingly not a huge/hot alcohol taste for something that's 12.4%.

F - Not as heavy as I would expect. There's something unusually light about this beer. It goes down extremely smooth. This I think is its only flaw in that it just doesn't have as much weight in the body as you would expect. It's definitely a sipping beer just not as much mouthfeel as I would want out of it. It's sort of like a medium body mash on something where a full body infusion should have been used. Barely a flaw though(I'm chewing instead of chomping!).

O - Gorgeous Imperial Stout. One of the best beers I've ever had. Perfect cigar pairing would be a 1964 Anniversary Padron Maduro Robusto. If I had one it would be one hell of a combo. Any fine maduro would do for a cold night sipping this beer in front of a roaring fire. This may also be ideal for one of those espresso breakfast stout concoctions I've heard about but as stated I am not a coffee person so I wouldn't know. I also don't know if I would cellar this because its beautiful after sitting in the barrel for a year.

It's likely I'll never find a beer exactly like this one in any other batch and there's something of sorrow, beauty, and romance in that.

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company