Big Bad Baptist | Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company
Utah, United States
epicbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

It’s Big, it’s Bad, Whiskey &/or Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

ABV varies by batch

Added by JohnGalt1 on 09-30-2011

Reviews: 610 | Ratings: 3,654
4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Mind BLOW - can't believe this isn't rated by me.

In the dark stout relm this is about an 8 in the darkness scale. Light is fleeting on the way out, but turns more amber brown as it goes to the glass, quickly turning black and viscous. A nice tan head, milk chocolate colored. Lacing is nice, not great.

The nose is coffee, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and some light candy notes.

The beer is sweet bold sugary but with coffee grounds, almost creme brulee like notes, sugars like a wiskey and just so much coffee.

Creamy but well carbonated. A great sipper.

I can't say enough good about this one. It's about as good one can get.

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

Release #71 and its important to note which release you get as each is slightly different in ratio and ingredients. I've noticed some reviews agree with the lack of alcohol hotness I detect and others do not. So every release is different and I believe they do a little less than 3000 bottles of each, All seem to be exceptional however.

Was a gift from my boss before Christmas. Made it all of 3 weeks before I opened it. I have not written a review in a while but this beer seems impressive so I figured I would. Poured straight up into a regular old pint glass(I can't find anything fancy digging in my old beerware sadly).

L - Gorgeous dark black body. Impressive thick tan head that just wont quit. I wish I could get this kind of head retention out of my homebrew Imperial Stouts.

S - Big Chocolate Coffee aroma with subtle Oaky Vanilla notes. You can certainly tell premium coffee was used(I dont drink coffee so I can't really expand on this other than to say its notably elegant in aroma).

T - You get the same flavors as in the aroma but in different strengths. First comes that big Coffee taste and then the Oak shines through much stronger than either the Chocolate or Vanilla. The barrel aging really comes out in the flavor. It's aftertaste is slightly astringent but in that classic Imperial Stout way. Surprisingly not a huge/hot alcohol taste for something that's 12.4%.

F - Not as heavy as I would expect. There's something unusually light about this beer. It goes down extremely smooth. This I think is its only flaw in that it just doesn't have as much weight in the body as you would expect. It's definitely a sipping beer just not as much mouthfeel as I would want out of it. It's sort of like a medium body mash on something where a full body infusion should have been used. Barely a flaw though(I'm chewing instead of chomping!).

O - Gorgeous Imperial Stout. One of the best beers I've ever had. Perfect cigar pairing would be a 1964 Anniversary Padron Maduro Robusto. If I had one it would be one hell of a combo. Any fine maduro would do for a cold night sipping this beer in front of a roaring fire. This may also be ideal for one of those espresso breakfast stout concoctions I've heard about but as stated I am not a coffee person so I wouldn't know. I also don't know if I would cellar this because its beautiful after sitting in the barrel for a year.

It's likely I'll never find a beer exactly like this one in any other batch and there's something of sorrow, beauty, and romance in that.

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Black as night with creamy chocolate head that dissipates quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing.
S- Right up front Black coffee and dark chocolate. There's just a faint hint of whiskey.
T- Incredible. Just how it smells. Coffee and Dark Chocolate coats the whole tongue and a slight whiskey taste at the finish but the alcohol is hidden really well. There is a lingering black coffee taste after swallowing.
MF- Not too thick at all. It's honestly like drinking a cup of cold coffee.
OV- Go out and pick this up. I'm regretting only getting 22oz.

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Batch3, aged 1.5 years. Spectacular, smooth and integrated. Mind blowing!

Pours a thick viscous black, very little soapy head, intense sugar, barrel, coffee aroma, flavor repeats and doesn't disappoint. Totally integrated flavors, nothing seems out of balance.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Release #4; 11.1% ABV.

A: Virtually pitch black. Nice rich khaki head that lingers. Pours with some definite viscosity.

S: Smells like coffee with some vanilla creamer added. Some bourbon and faint chocolate undertones.

T: WOW...this is phenomenal. So complex. Starts out sweet with some mild bourbon (emphasis on the mild...which is good b/c it doesn't overpower everything else that's going on) and vanilla flavors. Some definite molasses and brown sugar there too. Towards the middle I'm getting more of that "coffee creamer" taste. The finish is mainly coffee bitterness with a little bit of sweet milk chocolate and bitter cocoa. The coffee definitely lingers for a while. Damn, I LOVE this stuff!

M: Very smooth and silky. ABV is extremely well hidden. Great thick, viscous body yet very highly drinkable. This one could be dangerous.

Both bourbon barrel and coffee stouts are among my favorite styles. This one merges them to perfection in my opinion. I'm not sure why this beer hasn't garnered more attention. I think it definitely deserves it. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys these styles and I will absolutely be seeking more out myself if/when given the opportunity. Fantastic!

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Release #37. Dark/brown almost black in color with slight ruby red hues around the rim of the glass. Beautiful oil like viscosity with only a few bubbles in the middle and spotty in nature lacing. Aroma of cocoa, bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee and chocolate. Tastes of strong bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, some burnt sugar, hints of oak and bourbon plus coffee. Thick, creamy, and smooth on the palate with just a bit of bitterness and burn in the finish. I must say I found this to be one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had the chance to enjoy. Well done Epic!

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

full review: http://t.co/DXsrUBLwT0
From start to finish this beer is purely enjoyable. The aroma swirls between chocolate and coffee as it enters the nose. On the taste, I get chocolate as it transforms into coffee, and finishes with the hints of bourbon and barrel. This is fully bodied and coats the back of the throat. An enjoyable after taste.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from bomber into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black with a small off white half finger head. Little to no carbonation present. Ample amount of lacing.

S- Bourbon and coffee presence is bold and strong, just how I like this style. After the initial nose, mocha and dark chocolate are apparent. Other notes include deep roasted malts, tobacco, hints of leather, and some wood.

T- The bourbon and coffee do not disappear here, as they are the driving force if this stout. Chocolates and mocha also add a nice sweetness, as do the vanilla and wood from the bourbon barrel. Very balanced and smooth.

M- Full bodied stout. Not much carbonation. Goes down smoothly with a nice sweet aftertaste with a little heat.

O- I loved this offering, probably one if my top 5 coffee stouts. It's hard to imagine getting much better than this, but there are just a couple I can think if that rival this. Outstanding job by Epic and I look forward to this again.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Batch # 17

This beer pours out pure onyx with a half finger of mocha head. Straight-up you get coffee wafting towards your nose and your mouth begins to water. When you stick your schozz into the glass you pick up other scents of whiskey/barrel, roast and chocolate. The beer hits the palate with a silk-like quality and the flavors spread quickly throughout the mouth. Despite the 12% ABV there is virtually no burn with the intake of this brew. Despite the fact that I've had several Big Bad Baptists, I think this may either be my favorite batch, or they are really hitting the mark.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Very lucky to have tried this one. A friend brought it back from a Vegas trip. Pours black. Smells awesome. Has a charred and burnt taste that is delicious. The coffee or chocolate has been toasted/roasted or something. This adds a very unique aspect to the beer that I haven't had in other stouts. Super thick going down. This is one that I was sad when I hit the bottom of the bottle. There are lots of strong stouts that I love but could not have on a regular basis. This one however could be enjoyed regularly because it is so unique and not overpowering.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Release #9, 22 oz bottle, consumed out of snifter at room temperature

A - Very dark brown, nearly opaque. Quickly dissipating, deep, tan head. Minimal cling. Looks lovely.

S - Mostly espresso and a hint of dark fruits, combined with a wonderful, non-bourbon whiskey aroma.

T - Absolutely fantastic. Chocolate and non-bourbon whiskey , followed by espresso and slight dark fruits, ending with a perfect amount of heat. Allowing a sip to sit in my mouth for a few seconds really allowed the chocolate to show itself.

M - Ever so slightly lighter than anticipated based upon the appearance. Slight carbonation present.

O - This beer was shockingly good. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and went back the next day to purchase a few more, including the one I am now reviewing. Though different (mainly in the type of whiskey flavor), this beer is nearly as good as KBS, and I didn't have to stand in line or pay $100 to get a 4-pack via eBay. If this is your style, do what you can to get one of these. I can only hope every release will be this memorable.

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%

Batch #59 12.3% Pours black like oil. Big coffee nose with hints of whiskey and chocolate. Full rich mouth feel with big complex flavors that ends with bitter chocolate. Vanilla, wood, cola, chocolate, COFFEE. Doesn't taste as boozy as it is. I love this beer! In a blind taste test that included three different years of KBS I picked BBB as my #1. I'm buying as much of this as I can get.

UPDATE: This is my goto BA Stout. Having chased a lot of them, I continue to call BBB my baseline.

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God this is a good beer. Quality for sure. I need to hoard up a few more before they disappear again! Although the coffee might fade. Jesus this Baptist is bad and in a good way.

Appearance: Black as night if poured aggressively the head does rise significantly with a nice caramel colored head.

Aroma: Coffee, bourbon some chocolate but not too much of any of those things. It all melds into a perfect balance of bliss. For sure one of the best smelling beers in this category I have ever had!

Taste: Amazing, not boozy at all for the abv. The bourbon shines just enough but does not overpower the coffee or the chocolate. The malts balance everything else out in harmony. Its a very well made beer. Man, it really is so good. The mouthfeel is spot on as well. Very velvety and like drinking a chocolate milkshake with some coffee and bourbon in it! Amazing beer and very well done. Warning: There is coffee in this beer and you can taste it, if you are not a coffee fan you won't like this beer. I do! Its not overpowering and will likely settle even more as time passes but overall this is a very well made beer.

Overall: Amazing, I would buy again. This was release 45 for those counting.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours black with a dark khaki head. Alright retention given its barrel aged. Never smelt anything quite like this and I like. No, I love it. Smells of huge whiskey filled burnt mocha frappucino. Huge cocoa, coffee, and whiskey barrels. Flavor is just as unique; starts off with the whiskey barrels, then some coffee, and leaves with a huge thick, melted chocolate. A medium to fuller mouthfeel. Overall, yeah, this beer is great.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Jet Black appearance with minimal head. Blast of Coffee small and cocoa with little whiskey smell unless you really concentrate on knowing its supposed to be there.

Reminds me a lot of Founders Imperial Stout since it isn't real heavy on the Whiskey flavors(which is a good thing) and has similar mouth feel. I was sort of worried the Whiskey would overpower the other flavors but the coffee comes blasting through but isn't bitter. The cocoa is an awesome background flavor and I can barely taste the Whiskey but you know it s there.. I didn't think I could find an imperial stout I enjoyed more than FIS and Narwhal(with its unique licorice flavor) but this one is EPIC...

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz bottle poured into an Epic tulip.
11.5% ABV, Release #23

A - Inky and oily, Big Bad Baptist pours black as night with a thin, fleeting mocha head and little lace left dotting the glass.

S - Cold brewed, French pressed espresso seeps from every pore of Big Bad Baptist giving it one of the most ultimate in coffee aromas from a beer, and while coffee steals the show, it's certainly not the only performer. Blackstrap molasses and chunky fudge melt with nougat inside charred oak barrels for a candy bar-like liqueur sweetness that's intoxicating.

T - Thick chocolate fudge coats the tongue with rich chocolate flavor that's hardly washed away by the bountiful roasted espresso bean flavor - the two combine for one wonderful dark flavor punctuated by charred oak barrels that offer just the slightest nod to whiskey.

M - If the quiet, thick pour and rich black color weren't indication enough, Big Bad Baptist is full-bodied and throat-coating with a velvety smoothness that finishes with the perfect level of alcohol dryness and warmth to be somewhat balancing.

O - One of the quintessential coffee beers of our time, Big Bad Baptist is an exercise in oddly tamed excess - it's over the top but neither cloying nor fatiguing. It's time in the whiskey barrels almost goes unnoticed behind the bold coffee and chocolate flavor but the alcohol hint, charred oak, and wink of whiskey flavor come together flawlessly for an imperial stout everyone must try.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding. Everything you would want in an Imperial stout: huge roasted malt, dark molasses sweetness, cocoa/coffee adds an awesome flavor that melds with the molasses/bourbon sweetness. This is a huge tasty beer, with nothing offensive or cloying about it.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Paid the premium on this 13 bucks a bottle with tax for a 13% brew. Into a standard pint. Blah blah dark pitch blackness in color with a 1/4 inch deep mocha foam. GOWDAMN that is such a pronounced cocoa nib smell like even repeated sniffs are not lie its there and no fading I am impressed! Appreciated also is no heavy bourbons in the nose booze always makes me gag and so much cocoa powder should get a 5/5 just for the aroma!

Taste is such a flow of flavors first roast, then chocolate then them NIBZ DAMN, and then some bourbon which highlighted my next taste this is a boozy beast. Finish is a mix of sweet or boozy depending on each sip which is a nice bit of complexity. 13% is a bit thinner than expected but each sip is a bit of winter warming ow YEAH.

Overall it's pricey but one of the better bourbon barrel aged beer ESPECIALLY cocoa nib beer I ever had! NIBZ!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today's date: Aug 15, 2015
Release #17, poured into a tulip. Smell of coffee, straight cold coffee. Taste is much the same, a nice bit of bourbon with a fine warming and tastes exactly like coffee, it's very sweet but not overly with some chocolate and a tad but of acidity. Really tastes exactly like sweetend cold coffee. Big full mouthfeel and body.
10/27/2015
Release #52, It has a bit of a blueberry flavor, more of a FBS taste, more bourbon, more alcohol, and more chocolate, still a overwhelming amount of coffee, but the chocolate is more pronounced. A little bit more complex but rough around the edges (too much alcohol), a year of age probably helped release #17 have a bit of an advantage, but the complexity of the coffee (especially the blueberry) is a nice addition.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

L- Pours dark brown with almost no head. Thin tan around outside of glass.
S- Wonderful coffee, sweet malt and barrelling.
T- the coffee and chocolatemalt really stand out. The whiskey really comes out in the end. Some carmelized nuttyness.
F- Thin, but the taste profile complexity makes it dance. Wonderful warming from the whiskey. Smooth character.
O- Great complex, unique beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A - very dark, with tan head, tiny bubbles.

S - coffee dark chocolate, morecoffee, bit of whiskey

T - I'm not a coffee drinker, but I like what coffee and bourbon do together in beer. like a mix of FBS/KBS, but with stronger coffee flavor. Incredibly smooth, sweet and bitter.

M - very creamy, love the way this beer drinks.

O - excellent and highly recommended. Totally underrated, perhaps b/c it's not rare?

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bottle into a speiglau barrel aged glass.

Look is pitch black with a half inch tan head.

Arowma is lots of chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon.

Taste is like a bourbon milkshake absolutely delicious.

So good.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Amazing brew! Everything the bottle described is in this brew. Has the taste of an RIS with a touch more sweetness and this is where the cocoa nibs come into play with the bitterness matched with the sweet. Color was magnificent, dark black appearance with the rusty grey head. Very much in love with this brew. Shame I only have one bottle left, but I will be saving this one for a special occasion

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

HUGE thanks to VegasBeerMan...

A: Pours a pitch black motor oil slime with a full finger of mocha colored head. The foam settles fairly quickly leaving a nice frothy ring around the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is coffee, chocolate, roast, ans smoked meat. It's the perfect balance of everything wonderful in an Imp Stout. Damn. I want to drink this beer immediately.

T: Mmm. Great sweet malt up front mixed with char and barrel aged greatness. I get chocolate and more chared wonder as this beer comes through in the middle. The finish is pure milk chocolate and roast. Absolutely fantastic.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer is silky smooth, coating, and lingers forever. It's perfect.

O: This beer is killer! I had no expectations before I opened the bottle, and now I want a case more. This is one of the best/most memorable BA beers I've had in a long, long, long, long ass time. This beer is glorious.

4.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch # 36 ABV = 12.4 % . Very nice Imperial stout brewed with Cocoa Nibs, coffee , aged in whiskey Barrels !!! This is a great stout coffee forward with smooth cocoa dark flavor . Just got better as , I drank it over 2 hours & the last sip was the best !! Wow I will look for more of this A.S.A.P.!! Epic , very well done great job !! Thanks for brewing A Top A++ Beer that will age well with time !! Love this beer !!! WOW !!!

Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing Company